I just got an electronic cigarette

TommyO'Brien

How much are you paying for Champix? When I am abroad I usually bring back medicines because of the obscene prices here. You dont even need a script for many meds if you are in Spain for example. I smoke also but less than a pack a week - but aim to knock it out entirely.
The month's supply was €90+. It is a lot to pay out in one go but I was paying many multiples of that for cigarettes. If my flu (which I happened to get just as I was giving up - it had swept around my work place) hadn't added new costs this month I would be well in the black. Unfortunately the savings were pretty much wiped out by visits to the doctor and anti-biotics, etc for the flu. Even though your smoking would mean the cost would be more than the cigarettes I would advise you to get them. In general I find it difficult to break habits. I always have. Cigarettes are more addictive than heroin so they are harder to get off. I genuinely didn't expect I would be able to get off them. I have done so. This is my 10th day off them in one go. Taking into account the two times I fell back on them temporarily, in the last month I didn't smoke for I would say 20 of the last 30 days, which is a dramatic improvement for someone who smoked two packs a day for decades. I didn't it find it as difficult as I had expected.

There were wobbly moments - one Friday night at one am I felt I HAD to get a smoke or I would scream, so I headed to the all night shop. But that only happened once. I also used music as a way to get my mind of them, listening to music where I would previously have instinctively got in to a shop for a packet. So I now can stand at my bus stop, see the bus is due in six months and not think "ok. I have time for a cigarette". I just listen to music. (That is also, BTW, why I have not been posting as often here in the last few weeks. I have been watching less TV and listening to more music. I deliberately tried to throw my lifestyle up in the air to break the normal day. So I wouldn't watch the news or Prime Time. I'd listen to music or have a bath - something different to shake up a routine that previously had included a lot of smoking.)

Last edited:

Weevil

The month's supply was €90+. It is a lot to pay out in one go but I was paying many multiples of that for cigarettes. If my flu (which I happened to get just as I was giving up - it had swept around my work place) hadn't added new costs this month I would be well in the black. Unfortunately the savings were pretty much wiped out by visits to the doctor and anti-biotics, etc for the flu. Even though your smoking would mean the cost would be more than the cigarettes I would advise you to get them. In general I find it difficult to break habits. I always have. Cigarettes are more addictive than heroin so they are harder to get off. I genuinely didn't expect I would be able to get off them. I have done so. This is my 10th day off them in one go. Taking into account the two times I fell back on them temporarily, in the last month I didn't smoke for I would say 20 of the last 30 days, which is a dramatic improvement for someone who smoked two packs a day for decades. I didn't it find it as difficult as I had expected.

There were wobbly moments - one Friday night at one am I felt I HAD to get a smoke or I would scream, so I headed to the all night shop. But that only happened once. I also used music as a way to get my mind of them, listening to music where I would previously have instinctively got in to a shop for a packet. So I now can stand at my bus stop, see the bus is due in six months and not think "ok. I have time for a cigarette". I just listen to music. (That is also, BTW, why I have not been posting as often here in the last few weeks. I have been watching less TV and listening to more music. I deliberately tried to throw my lifestyle up in the air to break the normal day. So I wouldn't watch the news or Prime Time. I'd listen to music or have a bath - something different to shake up a routine that previously had included a lot of smoking.)
If you didn't bull************************ so much to maintain your sense of self you might find the supporting structures easier to dis- assemble.

murf13

Just around the time this thread was started I was diagnosed with cancer, I had been off fags for about 3 years but it was too little & too late. Twenty five plus years of smoking had caught up with me.
I had no symptoms, no reason to suspect illness but a chance encounter with a doctor taught me otherwise.
5 years later minus one kidney and with chunks missing from my lung I'm hear to attest to the fact that smoking can kill you.

Do with this info as ye will.

Watcher2

Just around the time this thread was started I was diagnosed with cancer, I had been off fags for about 3 years but it was too little & too late. Twenty five plus years of smoking had caught up with me.
I had no symptoms, no reason to suspect illness but a chance encounter with a doctor taught me otherwise.
5 years later minus one kidney and with chunks missing from my lung I'm hear to attest to the fact that smoking can kill you.

Do with this info as ye will.
Sorry for your troubles.

Watcher2

Good man Tommy. Stick with it.

HouseMD

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/eaad/National%20campaign%20materials/EAAD2011-Ireland-leaflet.pdf

ShoutingIsLeadership

What are you doing taking antibiotics for the flu, and why is a doctor prescribing them?

Dougal

Following the ban on Irish Rail, Aviva and Dublin Airport have banned e-cigarettes. Pro Smoking groups are not too happy with all this and is it any wonder.

John Mallon of Forest Eireann said attitudes to vaping, like smoking, were being driven by a phobia towards tobacco and anything resembling it. “I wrote to Irish Rail after their ban and asked them if these same people complaining about inhaling somebody else’s vapour had an issue with the sweaty man or woman, or mother with a screaming child?” Mallon said. “I made the point that trains give out carcinogenic fumes, and did people complain about that? I don’t know where this vaping ban is going, but there has to be tolerance for the other person. I think all of this is a disgrace.”

'orebel

What are you doing taking antibiotics for the flu, and why is a doctor prescribing them?
Before I quit I used to get chest infection every time I got a cold. Haven't had one since.

Now Iarnrod Eireann, Dublin Bus and the DAA have banned me from inhaling vapor on their premises. In line with this policy I expect a ban on hot drinks to follow.

Last edited:

madmick216

Had a discussion with a workmate about this. If you could build a mod into one of those insulated travel mugs,with a removable drip tip near the handle, who would be any the wiser? BTW. I might patent that idea.

GDPR

The media has been running mad stories about how people's houses were burned down because their e-cig recharger overheated and fried the fusebox.

Gosh.

How are you getting on with the vaping? I couldn't get into it myself. Seriously, I'm better off with cigars. That's my baccy burn and they last forever. At least the way I smoke them.

I blame my Dad for my battle with baccy.. He was always against smoking and advised us all never to take it up, but you see he wrestled all his life with his pipe addiction. Now pipes are not cigs. The thing is, I adored the smell of his pipe baccy. Hate cig smoke, BTW, though a victim of cig-addiction. Who knows how we end up in the state we're in?

opinions

very easy too stelth vape, try the double inhalation technique. Or just use the toilet, wont set off any smoke dectors

che schifo

Before I quit I used to get chest infection every time I got a cold. Haven't had one since.

Now Iarnrod Eireann, Dublin Bus and the DAA have banned me from inhaling vapor on their premises. In line with this policy I expect a ban on hot drinks to follow.
I used to get that as well but have hardly even had a cold since quitting. Well done on giving up; hope you're still off them. I don't agree with the ban on vaping; it's pandering to the puritanical, imo.

New Threads

Most Replies