• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

I salute Eamonn Gilmore a true democrat!

eurosceptic

I know this a week too late but i salute eamonn gilmore for declaring the treaty dead. The only politician with spine in this country. Unlike the FF/FG grovellers who went off to apologise to brussels.

adrem

Enda Kenny said
At the outset, I would like to reiterate my Party's disappointment at the outcome of the referendum. This result means that, as things stand, the Lisbon Treaty cannot come into force as planned on 1st January next
Eamonn Gilmore said
The Labour Party campaigned hard for the Treaty because we firmly believed that ratification was in the interests of the people of Ireland and of Europe. A majority of the people have taken a different view and we accept that
Brian Cowen said
The people last Thursday gave their verdict on the proposal to change the Constitution so that this State could ratify the Lisbon Treaty. The people have spoken. The Government accepts their verdict
So what's your point again?? They all accept the result !! What a daft new thread !

The Beara Rose

Gilmore admitted that the treaty is dead - Cowen refused to and I don't think it was due to a dislike of dramatics.

The Beara Rose

Kerrygold said:
Er, but didn't Frank Ross MEP say the opposite?

Labour have him, Fine Gael have Michael Ring and an assortment of idiots, Fianna Fáil have Hanafin - We all have our black sheep that no one likes. ;)

But anyway Gilmore as leader speaks for Labour not Proinsias.

Kerrygold

The Beara Rose said:
Kerrygold said:

Labour have him, Fine Gael have Michael Ring and an assortment of idiots, Fianna Fáil have Hanafin - We all have our black sheep that no one likes. ;)

Nice try, but who speaks for Labour in Europe?

The Beara Rose

Kerrygold said:
The Beara Rose said:
Kerrygold said:

Not him obviously. He was speaking as a pouty maverick. I'm sure that his tenure will come to an abrupt end at selection.

StripeyCat

It's certainly going to be very hard for Gilmore to canvass for the Yes side in Lisbon part 2. It would actually be curtains for him if he tried, unless there is a major renegotiation, or he can figure out a way of wiping the tapes of him declaring the Lisbon treaty dead.

Kerrygold

The Beara Rose said:
Kerrygold said:
[quote="The Beara Rose":3rldty0n]
Kerrygold said:

Not him obviously. He was speaking as a pouty maverick. I'm sure that his tenure will come to an abrupt end at selection.[/quote:3rldty0n]

Pity. What I'd give to see the look on his face when he lost his seat.

Oh well, I still have my vivid imagination.

Oldira

Gilmore said the Treaty is dead and there can be NO second referendum. Will Inda and the yobs from FG wise up and say the same and stop being ridden rock solid by Biffo and company.

seamasdefaoite

StripeyCat said:
It's certainly going to be very hard for Gilmore to canvass for the Yes side in Lisbon part 2. It would actually be curtains for him if he tried, unless there is a major renegotiation, or he can figure out a way of wiping the tapes of him declaring the Lisbon treaty dead.
I would suspect that there will have to be a second vote by the party as to ascertain what way we will campaign, I would hope that this time it is a full day special conference on the issue

kerrynorth

Eamonn Gilmore just restated that the issue of rerunning Lisbon 'does not arise' on The Last Word.

codology

As someone who would'nt be a labour party supporter I was plesantly surprised by Eamonns no strings attached acceptance of the no victory.

Norfolk Enchants

adrem said:
Enda Kenny said
At the outset, I would like to reiterate my Party's disappointment at the outcome of the referendum. This result means that, as things stand, the Lisbon Treaty cannot come into force as planned on 1st January next
Eamonn Gilmore said
[quote:kgw0gaw6]The Labour Party campaigned hard for the Treaty because we firmly believed that ratification was in the interests of the people of Ireland and of Europe. A majority of the people have taken a different view and we accept that
Brian Cowen said
The people last Thursday gave their verdict on the proposal to change the Constitution so that this State could ratify the Lisbon Treaty. The people have spoken. The Government accepts their verdict
So what's your point again?? They all accept the result !! What a daft new thread ![/quote:kgw0gaw6]

Cowen has not by his subsequent actions accepted that the treaty is dead.

He should be demanding that other countries cease the ratification process. Where is this so called respect for democracy and the voices of "smaller" EU states?

Aindriu

Norfolk Enchants said:

He should be demanding that other countries cease the ratification process. Where is this so called respect for democracy and the voices of "smaller" EU states?
Democracy doesn't exist in the EU parliament - this week has shown that to be obvious. As for Cowen, he has chosen the path of least resistance - go crawling to the burghers cap in hand.

vid

His stand since the vote has been very impressive. But I fear he will reevaluate his position when the second Lisbon campaign in the "national interest" of course

Aindriu said:
Norfolk Enchants said:

Democracy doesn't exist in the EU parliament - this week has shown that to be obvious. As for Cowen, he has chosen the path of least resistance - go crawling to the burghers cap in hand.
Correct, nobody is standing up for us, the insults and abuse stand unchallenged. F*cking disgrace.

Universal_001

Good to see someone in the opposition has respect for my vote (he won't loose his transfers from me now) but I assume he'd stil campagn for a yes the second time around?
He'd hardly switch sides to something he does not beleive in on principle alone?

L.O. Dublin S.C.

Universal_001 said:
Good to see someone in the opposition has respect for my vote (he won't loose his transfers from me now) but I assume he'd stil campagn for a yes the second time around?
He'd hardly switch sides to something he does not beleive in on principle alone?
I'm againist a second referendum but I would vote yes again if asked. I believe that this is something good for the country, for Europe and for it's people, I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot by rejecting it. I'll see why people voted no and, if the reasons are unfounded (which most of them were), convince them to vote yes.