• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

I Think I'll Have a Few Scoops Tomorrow. Oh Wait, other People's beliefs are Stopping me from Doing so!

Should alcohol be served on Good Friday?

• Yes

Votes: 267 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 150 34.6%
  • Other/Don't know

Votes: 17 3.9%

• Total voters

ruserious

I Think I'll Have a Few Scoops Tomorrow. Oh Wait, other People's beliefs are Stopping me from Doing so!

Well, tomorrow is a day which practicing Catholics call Good Friday.

Some ancient dogma stats that good Catholics will not drink alcohol on this day. Fair enough, that's their choice but why should the state enforce this dogma upon the rest of us?

It's not as if we can stock up and have it tomorrow...

But no, the state decides that it will enforce a particular belief on the rest of us because of some rule in a religion.

So is it acceptable that pubs remain closed or has time come to let the people decide what they want to do?

Article 44 is another article which is very much of its time. “The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to almighty God. It shall hold his Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.” The article goes on to guarantee freedom to practice religion, prohibit the State from endowing any particular religion

Rus

Analyzer

To be honest, we have a massive drinking problem in this country.

The last thing we need is further deregulation of boozing.

willoughby

I think I'll have a few scoops at 3 am, oh wait the laws of the country are stopping me.

ruserious

To be honest, we have a massive drinking problem in this country.

The last thing we need is further deregulation of boozing.
Make it more expensive, clamp down on off licence's selling to teens and promote alcohol awareness but prohibition never works.

derryman

If any red blooded Irishman cant get his hand around a pint tomorrow there can only be one excuse. He does not have a hand.

RobertW

We're also living in a state whereby some public servants are not allowed to protest in a dignified manner against their political masters.

The no alcohol on Good Friday is so outdated and moronic such that nothing more needs to be stated......imagine tourists arriving in this country tomorrow having to stay in their hotels for a drink.

This country is an immature democracy. . .a banana Republic.

Make it more expensive, clamp down on off licence's selling to teens and promote alcohol awareness but prohibition never works.
Ah c'mon. Sure wasn't it a great success in the US?

They just didn't persist with it long enough.

ne0ica

Well, tomorrow is a day which practicing Catholics call Good Friday.

Some ancient dogma stats that good Catholics will not drink alcohol on this day. Fair enough, that's their choice but why should the state enforce this dogma upon the rest of us?

It's not as if we can stock up and have it tomorrow...

But no, the state decides that it will enforce a particular belief on the rest of us because of some rule in a religion.

So is it acceptable that pubs remain closed or has time come to let the people decide what they want to do?

Article 44 is another article which is very much of its time. “The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to almighty God. It shall hold his Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.” The article goes on to guarantee freedom to practice religion, prohibit the State from endowing any particular religion

Rus
why through in that old one, Muslims might be offended. I don't know what the CofI feels about this, because lets face it they don't stand for much, but I do know my Calvinist neighbors are not too keen on the drink.

ne0ica

Ah c'mon. Sure wasn't it a great success in the US?

They just didn't persist with it long enough.
Yea, it comparable to Prohibition in the US. Des, another tread you have trampled on with your ignorance.

derryman

We're also living in a state whereby some public servants are not allowed to protest in a dignified manner against their political masters.

The no alcohol on Good Friday is so outdated and moronic such that nothing more needs to be stated......imagine tourists arriving in this country tomorrow having to stay in their hotels for a drink.

So Australia is also I presume.

It would make for an interesting referendum.
Hold it on Good Friday when people are thirsty.

To bring the referendum to the people use unused buildings as polling booths. Such as bars. With dishclothes over the taps.

ne0ica

It would make for an interesting referendum.
Cruimh, your the token loyalist round these parts, correct me if I'm wrong but most Protestant churches where I live especially those with the letter P in their title are not too big on alcohol.

Yea, it comparable to Prohibition in the US. Des, another tread you have trampled on with your ignorance.
Was I the first to mention Prohibition?

Was I being sarcastic?

No and yes.

meriwether

I bet you wouldn't mind the GF ban if your public sector wage was left alone.

ruserious

Cruimh, your the token loyalist round these parts, correct me if I'm wrong but most Protestant churches where I live especially those with the letter P in their title are not too big on alcohol.
Your correlating a perceived political belief with a religious belief based on an unproven self observed situation. That's a Paddlin'.

Popular Threads

Most Replies