I think this makes it official - FG are style over substance

Disillusioned democrat

So the snowflakes have melted because a fair trail in a foreign jurisdiction didn't suit their virtue signalling sensitivities.

Now - you'd be forgiven for thinking our own government have enough to be getting on with what with - you know:

• very real housing crisis
  • crisis in justice, even if they pretend to ignore it
  • crisis in health killing people
  • looming crisis in education

Yet our brave leaders tap into the SM zeitgeist and jump onto the bandwagon with gay abandon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/flanagan-to-review-all-aspects-of-sexual-assault-trials-1.3447539

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/primary-school-pupils-to-get-classes-on-sexual-consent-1.3448466

I don't recall Charlie Flanagan demanding a reform of the ODCE when Sean Fitzpatrick's was acquitted on technicalities or the DPP failed to prosecute Moriarty.

I don't recall panic in the DoE when Irish students started to drop in the academic league tables.

This is absolutely pathetic governing by the style over substance government.

Analyzer

For me the defining aspect of what FG represent, was provided by the entire FG party standing steadfast, in their full confidence in an imcompetent Tanaiste, who could not even manage to maintain her own pretence of ignorance without getting caught out.

FG - the bumbling chancer party.

statsman

So the snowflakes have melted because a fair trail in a foreign jurisdiction didn't suit their virtue signalling sensitivities.

Now - you'd be forgiven for thinking our own government have enough to be getting on with what with - you know:

Yet our brave leaders tap into the SM zeitgeist and jump onto the bandwagon with gay abandon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/flanagan-to-review-all-aspects-of-sexual-assault-trials-1.3447539

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/primary-school-pupils-to-get-classes-on-sexual-consent-1.3448466

I don't recall Charlie Flanagan demanding a reform of the ODCE when Sean Fitzpatrick's was acquitted on technicalities or the DPP failed to prosecute Moriarty.

I don't recall panic in the DoE when Irish students started to drop in the academic league tables.

For me the defining aspect of what FG represent, was provided by the entire FG party standing steadfast, in their full confidence in an imcompetent Tanaiste, who could not even manage to maintain her own pretence of ignorance without getting caught out.

FG - the bumbling chancer party.
Just as a matter of interest, who do you both think should be in government?

Equinox

You produced a list of structural problems that require time, money, vision and a philosophical approach to resolve, virtue signalling to the cheap seats however is free and garners column inches.

Also, they've not style over substance because I wouldn't credit FG with any style.

Style: a distinctive appearance, typically determined by the principles according to which something is designed.

There is nothing destinctive about a party governed by chasing trends rather then developing them and they certiantly aren't building their platform on any coherent principle.

Last edited:

Marcos the black

So, in relastion to both article highlighted, could you point out the issue you have with either proposal? Are you against allowing rape victims having their own legal representation or against sexual consent being taught in Primary schools?

SayItAintSo

To say they have style is to give them too much credit. This seems to be rule by newspaper headline & vocal minority whinging.

I would prefer any changes to the legal system to be made on foot of careful consideration & not whatever hashtag is trending.

Nauseating & dare I say it for the first time? 'virtue signalling'.

Disillusioned democrat

So, in relastion to both article highlighted, could you point out the issue you have with either proposal? Are you against allowing rape victims having their own legal representation or against sexual consent being taught in Primary schools?
Not at all good sir, but I'd like them also to address some of the other very serious issues that have been pressing now for most of their first and all of their second terms in office.

Marcos the black

Not at all good sir, but I'd like them also to address some of the other very serious issues that have been pressing now for most of their first and all of their second terms in office.
So you're in favour of the proposed policy changes?

'orebel

What would be the point of allowing alleged rape victims have their own legal representation?

Would this be extended to all alleged victims of violent crime?

Disillusioned democrat

You produced a list of structural problems that require time, money, vision and a philosophical approach to resolve, virtue signalling to the cheap seats is free and garners column inches.

You're half wrong however, because they've no style either.

Style: a distinctive appearance, typically determined by the principles according to which something is designed.

There is nothing destinctive about a party governed by chasing trends rather then developing them and they certiantly aren't building their platform on any coherent principle.

FG have now been in government for 7 years.

When they got into government there were a surplus of homes and a manageable housing list.

Their actions and policies have created the issue - it's not a hard nut to crack - just divert some of the money going to HAP and RA into building social homes and develop fairer policies around access to and retention of social homes.

statsman

DD would like a FF/SF govt. even though he says he won't vote FF....
In my view, anyone who actually wants FF back in power is either a fool or a scoundrel, or possibly both. And I won't vote FG.

Analyzer

FG have now been in government for 7 years.

When they got into government there were a surplus of homes and a manageable housing list.

Their actions and policies have created the issue - it's not a hard nut to crack - just divert some of the money going to HAP and RA into building social homes and develop fairer policies around access to and retention of social homes.
And we had the Moriarty Tribunal Report. And nothing has happened with it.

But their anchor shareholder got debt write downs. But the taxpyer go no debt write downs.

Phoney Gael. We know where their real loyalty lies. Just a post, pretenscious political cult.

Last edited:

Marcos the black

What would be the point of allowing alleged rape victims have their own legal representation?

I have no idea. I'm in no way connected to the legal profession, but it looks like they are looking at the option. Some people appear to wish that that would not look at options.

Marcos the black

In my view, anyone who actually wants FF back in power is either a fool or a scoundrel, or possibly both. And I won't vote FG.
Anyone who says they want FF back in power and then lies about their voting intentions is just a liar and will spread their lies anywhere that will further their own agenda.

Marcos the black

In the right sequence and level of priority and with the appropriate level of consideration as opposed to knee-jerk, bandwagon jumping virtue signalling, of course.
Good, so you're actually in favour of the policy changes. You failed to say this in your OP.. Perhaps you could amend to reflect your actual thoughts?

statsman

Because, like it or not, in our adversarial common-law system, rape trials often turn into attacks on the integrity/past behaviour/clothing/etc of the victim, who has nobody in the room to back her up.

Watcher2

according to the Belfast court, no one was raped.

Analyzer

Because, like it or not, in our adversarial common-law system, rape trials often turn into attacks on the integrity/past behaviour/clothing/etc of the victim, who has nobody in the room to back her up.
She has a legal team. A legal team that included her father.

"victim" ? How many people have a lawyer in the family to fight their corner ?

Yet more BS from statistman.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies