• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

I want to keep my 9 year old home sometimes.

seanmoylantd

I recently tested my child's arithmetic and was shocked to find he din't know simple sums and the difference between addition and subtraction.
So,being a good old Irish Mammy,I grabbed him by the ear ,and kept him at the books until he was doing some pages of maths by himself successfully.
Now I kept him home from school that day ,because I needed a good block of time to nag and coerce and teach him .He is adroit at using his siblings ,his Daddy ,his Granny,the domestic routine to disengage from unpleasant tasks.This was important.I needed him to myself.

I was successful.I was very pleased with the result.I wrote the teacher and explained why my child was absent .I wrote I wanted to keep him home,one day weekly ,to tutor him myself.

The teacher told me it was not allowed .

What are my rights here? How many days can a child miss?Who is notified ?

Morgellons

He's your kid-do what you think's best by him.

emulator

I recently tested my child's arithmetic and was shocked to find he din't know simple sums and the difference between addition and subtraction.
So,being a good old Irish Mammy,I grabbed him by the ear ,and kept him at the books until he was doing some pages of maths by himself successfully.
Now I kept him home from school that day ,because I needed a good block of time to nag and coerce and teach him .He is adroit at using his siblings ,his Daddy ,his Granny,the domestic routine to disengage from unpleasant tasks.This was important.I needed him to myself.

I was successful.I was very pleased with the result.I wrote the teacher and explained why my child was absent .I wrote I wanted to keep him home,one day weekly ,to tutor him myself.

You tested your child at 9 ?

When did they start school ? Have you been to P/T meetings ? This should've been spotted by now within the school..... I'd imagine they'll tell you to do it in the evenings and the weekends.

ottovonbismarck

You may find that effectively accusing the teacher of incompetence results in the 'rules' being applied strictly.

Just say he's sick.

Edit: and, after 4/5 years at school, was this really the first time you asked if he'd learned anything?

drummed

Well said otto. Thats exactly what i was thinking as well.

USER1234

if you keep him at home, you will be brought up to court and fined and the social services will become involved and you dont want that

drummed

Its only a guess but does this little fella spend a lot of time posting on this very website?

G

Gimpanzee

Your kid is and can't do basic addition and subtraction and you didn't know until now? Who helped him with his homework? Sounds like bollocks.

Morgellons

Don't encourage stupidity
But she said she achieved real results with his maths at home.

Have you seen what's coming out of the education system these days?

wishywashy

You grabbed him by the ear? Are you perhaps,a christian brother from a previous incarnation? Education by battery,

SayItAintSo

20 days I think. You probably won't like this but should you not have picked up on this before? how can you not know he doesn't know simple addition and subtraction?

Anyway, you know now and can help him so thats good. What about talking to the school before deciding anything? This should definitely have been picked up there before now. Could he have a specific difficulty with numbers maybe?

Last edited:

drummed

Yeah, she said that after years in school getting stupider she taught him the basics of maths in a morning. Credible?

dizillusioned

Just a question?

Sure it was the kid who needed tutoring in arithmetic and not his auld wan?

tokkie

What is coming out of the education system these days?

tokkie

"Real Results".

Hilarious stuff. What are these real results? Who sets the standards? Some stoopid, lazy, dole scrounging chick from the arse end of Kerry? Yes, such a barometer of achievement. Why not put her in charge of the nation?