I wish to do my business/personal dealings in Irish/Gaeilge.

redneck

Right so - I suspected it was a flame OP .... Now I know it ;)
Irish speakers would like an Acht na Teanga ins an Tuaisceart. An Irish language act in the North. At the moment the DUP are stopping it. (It is nothing personal against Ulster Unionists- who played a part in saving the language al long time ago)

Hunter-Gatherer

British Protestant/Catholic Loyalists want the right to light huge bonfires, and march every Summer.
That is their culture. My culture is an Irish Gaelic one, what is so wrong with that? Cad é an scéal?
the orangemen do not force all the rest of us to make bonfires, whether we like it or not.

PBP voter

Peig Sayers gave an accurate story of what life was like on the Blasket islands off the coast of Kerry, about a hundred years ago. Life was tough. Very tough. She would put today's "snowflakes" to shame in my opinion.
Her type choose to be backward ignorant pigs who let Rome dictate to her.

Cruimh

What in God's name has Peig got to do with this conversation?

I don't mean to be rude, but if all you know about the situation the Irish language is in is Peig, perhaps you'd be wiser to bow out of this discussion.
Aren't you being a bit harsh? One fairly consistent complaint on this site - and others - is that the way Irish Language was taught in schools was very counterproductive.

Spanner Island

Peig Sayers gave an accurate story of what life was like on the Blasket islands off the coast of Kerry, about a hundred years ago. Life was tough. Very tough. She would put today's "snowflakes" to shame in my opinion.
Not really the point though is it?

You're not going to nurture any love of anything if you teach it through stories of relentless and abject misery.

I hated that book with far greater passion than I had for the language as a result.

Language is language - a living thing that evolves constantly and which is about communication.

It's not about history. History classes are for history.

Cellachán Chaisil

Aren't you being a bit harsh? One fairly consistent complaint on this site - and others - is that the way Irish Language was taught in schools was very counterproductive.
Yeah it pops up everywhere, EVEN when it's not relevant.

People talking about Irish in the Gaeltacht and someone brings up compulsory. It is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Not everything Irish language is related to what happens in school.

PBP voter

Peig was a scumbag who supported Industrial schools and Magdalene Laundries.

Nobody she be forced to study her life and backward inward looking beliefs and customs.

Cruimh

Yeah it pops up everywhere, EVEN when it's not relevant.

People talking about Irish in the Gaeltacht and someone brings up compulsory. It is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Not everything Irish language is related to what happens in school.
But this OP is about the failure to use Irish in the wider population, not just the Gaeltacht?

livingstone

Is maith liom an teanga Gaeilge. I like Irish. Yet I find there is no Irish used at the local Shops/Churches/Pubs. Cén fáth. Why? As an Irish language fan why is there such little support for the native tongue in "trendy modern independent Ireland". Irish politicians and people love to lecture the rest of Europe and the World about rights!
You have a right to speak whatever language you want. And people have a right to use whatever language they want.

Hans Von Horn

Is maith liom an teanga Gaeilge. I like Irish. Yet I find there is no Irish used at the local Shops/Churches/Pubs. Cén fáth. Why? As an Irish language fan why is there such little support for the native tongue in "trendy modern independent Ireland". Irish politicians and people love to lecture the rest of Europe and the World about rights!
People with real commitment to the Irish Language would conduct all their business through Irish. Irish signage on their shops, use of Irish exclusively in their office or place of business, contracts, dealing with customers etc.

Few non government businesses place adds in the papers in Irish other than a planning add which is published in Irish to take advantage of so many people who do not understand the language.

Hans Von Horn

But this OP is about the failure to use Irish in the wider population, not just the Gaeltacht?

The whole purpose of Irish is to differentiate the population on this Island with those of the 4neighbouring Islands and the European Mainland. Irish has been an essential tool for Brit Hating and feeding the beast of Irish Nationalism.

Cellachán Chaisil

He's talking about the lack of provision for Irish speakers in businesses.

Hans Von Horn

An Ireland that looks out into the World has very little use for Irish. A DeValera Ireland of self sufficiency could not sustain the Irish Language.

Hans Von Horn

Gin Soaked

What in God's name has Peig got to do with this conversation?

I don't mean to be rude, but if all you know about the situation the Irish language is in is Peig, perhaps you'd be wiser to bow out of this discussion.
Peig was right. An appalling curriculum killed the language for many. And mandating Peig to about 3 generations of school kids was the nadir of that death.

And there is more than a whiff of cultural piety /purity about how us non native speakers encounter Garlgori .

Many of us have been put off by all of this.

The relatively wide proliferation of Gaelscoilenna will help in time, but there needs to be greater promotion of free language lessons in the evenings. I am rapidly hitting the point where my elder boy's vocabulary outstripped my ability to help him with homework.

This means that either I have to find time to learn it or he'll be at a disadvantage in school. He's not in a GS.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies