• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

"I wont take a pay cut" - Phil Hogan

Digout

Phil Hogan cant take paycut due to "personal circumstances"

When interviewed on RTE radio this morning, Mr Hogan said that he did not want to take a pay cut as his "personal circumstances would not allow for it".

And people wonder why FG are not doing better in the polls when they have FF like members in senior positions.

Pretty shocking really,

Last edited:

Ronanr

He must be a pretty profligate spender if he cannot afford a pay cut on a TD's salary.

Yet FG expects civil servants to take a pay cut on the chin!

myk

Hopefully a pay cut will be impose on all Oireachtas members. It should be a matter of choice for individual TDs. Disappointing that he said this.

jayblue

Personal Circumstances?...mmm we all have those.

Maybe he should just try change his then. It is time for all our politicans on their nice salaries of €100K minimum and very generous expenses regime to get real, wake up and start showing leadership that is why they were elected.

Question R24U

I'm no fan of Old Budget Leak, but in fairness the government have imposed a 9% pension levy and 2% income tax levy on him. The further 10% pay but by the prez,cowen, his cabinet and senior civil servants was voluntary.

the agent

Hogan has seperated from his wife and I believe large maintenance payments to make, A bit like the Ryan Tubridy situation, but he should be open to a pay cut.

Amach na Casca

Hogan has seperated from his wife and I believe large maintenance payments to make, A bit like the Ryan Tubridy situation, but he should be open to a pay cut.
Oh thats alright then lets give him a pay rise to cover these costs. Its of secondary importance that the public finances go down the swanny. So long as Phil Hogan is ok. If he is happy we are all happy.

it's bad politics

the answer should have been the usual political guff

'i am open to all options which will assist the state blah blah blah'

constitutionus

i couldnt believe when i heard this this morning, for god sake he's on a 100k PLUS expenses !

personal circumstances me hole, 80% of the country LIVE on less than a third of his wage. seperated on not.

just shows you the fantasy land these blokes live in and the "great idea, but dont include ME in it " mentality that afflicts the body politic.

Spence

it's bad politics

I disagree, I think it's good. Fair play Phil Hogan for admitting he cares more about his 'personal circumstances' than the national interest. If only the rest of them were as honest.

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
Someone should have told the Dell workers this..
"You can't let us go.. our personal circumstances don't allow it!". Problem solved, jobs saved.

drbob1972

it's bad politics

then someone here would have been condemning him for being evasive and not answering the question, sometimes they cannot win......

that being said his honesty if nothing else is noteworthy

from FG's point of view it looked bad

there are people joining the end of dole queues by the thousand

i think their personal circumstances are a lot worse

Kevin Doyle

So? Makes no difference, everybody has their own problems.
We sure do, I can afford a 5% pay cut with no major difficulties, the problem is that by year end 2010 in real terms I’ll probably be facing a 20% pay cut (Pensions levy+6-10% direct paycut+income tax increases)

There is no way the cost of living will subside to compensate, so some real tough decisions ahead. And that is all contingent on wether or not I'll have a job at all.

Yet this guy refuses to take a cut in pay? Most of us have no choice.

Zamidan

Did see this thread till now...I thought i was going to crash the car this morning when i heard it..
Talk to your greedy Wife and get her to live within Your means...Not expecting the Irish Tax payer to cough up for it

Personal circumstance my bloody arse...He sounded like a complete tosser ..

And i agree No wonder FG are not preforming "as well As they should" when getting the likes of this idiot on the radio ..Tought decisions...Yeah right...Let them eat cake.

smitchy2

I have to stay this is a big slip from a FG member.
He is supposed to be their tough talker.

slx

What a total muppet!

I'm sorry but has this guy never heard of this thing known as 'politics' and have FG got no party whip!?

Both FF and FG seem to have a cohort of rather worryingly ignorant back benchers.

How exactly does he think his constituents are going to like that?

Also, I don't think these will be voluntary pay cuts, the Oireachtas is cutting the expense system budget and that's it. There's no individual little chats with individual deputies.

And i agree No wonder FG are not preforming "as well As they should" when getting the likes of this idiot on the radio ..Tought decisions...Yeah right...Let them eat cake.
told ya. this is the reaction FG will get.

Anyway, I don't want to intrude in the personal circumstances of anyone, but I would say that if there are issues which concern any individual and which involve maintenance orders between spouses it should be noted that these can be readjusted, upwards or downwards, in the Circuit Court (or District Court for amounts less than EUR 500) through a Variation Order on the basis of a decreased income.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies