• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

IABA >> NIABA - a blueprint of secession/breakaway?

Global Justice

BBC News - Stormont MLAs vote for NI amateur boxing association

Could the recent establishment of the breakaway (dissident if you will petunia) NIABA from the IABA be a blueprint for future secessions not only in sports but of a political nature? If sectarianism is used to once more carve up society, could we see secessions of towns/communities from councils/districts and even from counties? This is what's been invoked.

As for the reasons behind the establishment of a 'NI amateur boxing association', no doubt there was sectarianism, but as rightly pointed out in 'Stormont today' last night by SF, why has it only come to light now, following on the footsteps of Irish Olympic joy? Bitterness I presume. Many unionists have been Sport ministers and they didn't publicise the apparent "chronic" abuse, nor did they confront or try to sort it out. Very dubious.

Last night's Spotlight also did a programme on the Sandy Row boxing club 'sectarianism'.

BBC One - Spotlight

Ian McSorley comes across as a right bitter individual. As concluded by those on the programme, such a secession will entrench sectarianism and division. And the use of "parity" to point-score sectarianism and division is dangerous.

It'll come back and bite them.

DT123

BBC News - Stormont MLAs vote for NI amateur boxing association

Could the recent establishment of the breakaway (dissident if you will petunia) NIABA from the IABA be a blueprint for future secessions not only in sports but of a political nature? If sectarianism is used to once more carve up society, could we see secessions of towns/communities from councils/districts and even from counties? This is what's been invoked.

As for the reasons behind the establishment of a 'NI amateur boxing association', no doubt there was sectarianism, but as rightly pointed out in 'Stormont today' last night by SF, why has it only come to light now, following on the footsteps of Irish Olympic joy? Bitterness I presume. Many unionists have been Sport ministers and they didn't publicise the apparent "chronic" abuse, nor did they confront or try to sort it out. Very dubious.

Last night's Spotlight also did a programme on the Sandy Row boxing club 'sectarianism'.

BBC One - Spotlight

Ian McSorley comes across as a right bitter individual. As concluded by those on the programme, such a secession will entrench sectarianism and division. And the use of "parity" to point-score sectarianism and division is dangerous.

It'll come back and bite them.
If you support the right of the likes of McClean to play for the Republic,how on earth can you object to certain boxers wanting to represent NI or GB&NI?

Global Justice

If you support the right of the likes of McClean to play for the Republic,how on earth can you object to certain boxers wanting to represent NI or GB&NI?
Ahh, that old chestnut :roll:

Did you even watch the Spotlight programme last night?

oboe

They should have the right to choose. I'm surprised they havent already tbh.

RedCloud

Well,there goes Whinge Free Wednesday :)

physicist

I'm sorry but don't many IABA boxers represent NI, from both cultural backgrounds? Paddy Barnes boxed for both, as did Wayne McCullough as did Barry McGuigan and he wasn't even from the Six Counties.
Maybe it's because you can represent NI and Ireland, you can represent NI and GB&NI, and in some cases you could probably represent all three.

Global Justice

Well,there goes Whinge Free Wednesday :)
Whinge Free Wednesday? Fuk me, discussion is frowned upon and prohibited by unionists it seems. It means their singular brain cell will have to be put to use and they'd have to engage in some thinking and critical self-assessment. But no siree, such is against your "culture" and not in your DNA.

The response from unionists have been the standard tedious evasion and deflection.

RedCloud spoke of 'automated replies', well that just about sums up unionist response to any issue. Denial, evade, deflect and troll. Utter ill-educated and ill-cultured delinquents.

Last edited:

Global Justice

Back on-topic, the breakaway of a new group will just create a much bigger and wider problem of sectarian entrenchment and division. As I said, it's a created a blueprint for other arising issues of tribal and sectarian controversy, that can easily be manufactured and the motivations behind the creation of the NIABA are very dubious.

The James McClean situation is a red-herring. Hundreds of thousands of footballers around the globe be in the same situation. The latest being Carl Jenkinson of Arsenal. He represented Finland U21's, but has now made himself available for the England senior team. Will he be hounded out by unionists? Or do they cherrypick?

Aristodemus

I'm confused. How can setting up a new Boxing Authority address the issues of sectarianism? Are the propsers of this advocating that only Protestant boxers become members? If not, then the people who engage in this type of behaviour will still be present regardless of the ruling authority.

between the bridges

I'm confused. How can setting up a new Boxing Authority address the issues of sectarianism? Are the propsers of this advocating that only Protestant boxers become members? If not, then the people who engage in this type of behaviour will still be present regardless of the ruling authority.
fair point, i assume rather than addressing it they are avoiding it! however if the two bodies interact maybe they can work on it?

pinemartin

Is the sandy row boxing club the one that turned down the opportunity for the sports minister to visit the club?

eskrimador

How odd. Some interested party did I a blog on this on Slugger last night but the thread seems to have gone.

The OP got a rough ride including by Ian Parsley,on the thread. The OP was strongly critical of the Spotlight programme but the majority of reactions, at the point I went to my scratcher, seemed to be that there is little support for the complaints.

I haven't seen the Spotlight yet but will check it out on Iplayer

Global Justice

How odd. Some interested party did I a blog on this on Slugger last night but the thread seems to have gone.

The OP got a rough ride including by Ian Parsley,on the thread. The OP was strongly critical of the Spotlight programme but the majority of reactions, at the point I went to my scratcher, seemed to be that there is little support for the complaints.

I haven't seen the Spotlight yet but will check it out on Iplayer
The "chronic sectarian abuse" will soon be downgraded to a few incidents of sectarianism. It's basically a whine-fest and petty jealousy in order to flex their sectarian muscles because of the achievements of the Irish boxers in the Olympics

eskrimador

The "chronic sectarian abuse" will soon be downgraded to a few incidents of sectarianism. It's basically a whine-fest and petty jealousy in order to flex their sectarian muscles because of the achievements of the Irish boxers in the Olympics
It's on BBC2 tonight, so I'll watch it then and save the bandwidth.

Still quite interested in why the thread was pulled on Slugger.

eskrimador

Boxing is a working class sport.

Venues are in working class areas.

Working class areas have issues.

The problem is the issues,, not boxing