Ian Paisley Pays Tribute to Martin McGuinness

Irish-Rationalist

Personally, I was impressed watching "The View" last night and listening to Ian Paisley's respectful tribute to recently resigned McGuinness. Paisley could so easily have regurgitated the stereotypical and expected DUP condemnation of McGuinness's role as former PIRA commander, but to his credit, instead chose to rise above the situation.

The Democratic Unionist Party MP, Ian Paisley, thanked Sinn Féin's former deputy first minister Martin McGuinness, a former IRA leader. He said his "remarkable journey not only saved lives but made the lives of countless people better".

Mr Paisley said: "It is important that we, actually, do reflect on the fact that we would not be where we are in Northern Ireland, in terms of having stability, peace and the opportunity to rebuild our country, were it not for the work he did put in, especially with my father at the beginning of this long journey".

Sinn Féin's Conor Murphy told the programme that the late Dr Paisley and Mr McGuinness "were derided for the friendship they had, but people would like to see a few chuckles around Stormont today". Mr Paisley agreed with Mr Murphy saying: "Perhaps if we got back to some of that foundation work of building a proper relationship we could get out of the mess we are currently in."

He added: "I can say thank you - honestly and humbly and recognise the remarkable journey Martin McGuinness went on has not only saved lives, but has made the lives of countless people in Northern Ireland better because of the partnership government we worked on and put together."

'Thank you' - Ian Paisley's words to Martin McGuinness - BBC News

Well done, Ian.

GDPR

Whatever about their sins during the Troubles Paisley and Mc Guinness when they were in power together gave Northern Ireland the happiest time in it's history. Why the DUP wanted to throw that away is beyond me and it wasn't in the interests in the medium term at least of the PUL tribe.

Marcella

Some kind words from the DUP and some within SF are ready to run back into their arms.

SF need to deliver for nationalism first and foremost.

I applaud Paisley for his words, it's obvious Foster does not possess the attitude and humility necessary to share power. That said, SF will need to deliver more than kind words.

There's outstanding agreements that need to be implemented in full.

Last edited:

Glaucon

Some kind words from the DUP and some within SF are ready to run back into their arms.

I applaud Paisley for his words, it's obvious Foster does not possess the attitude and humility necessary to share power. That said, SF will need to deliver more than kind words.

The bitterness of Mike Nesbitt should not go unnoticed. Any Nationalists (hint, hint SDLP) thinking that the UUP are possible "partners" will be quickly disabused of such notions.

Erudite Caveman

The bitterness of Mike Nesbitt should not go unnoticed. Any Nationalists (hint, hint SDLP) thinking that the UUP are possible "partners" will be quickly disabused of such notions.
I'm not sure why. Loads of nationalists think the IRA were complete cúnts too. That said, Nesbitt could have at least acknowledged that Martin did throw himself 100% into constitutional politics and there were few better than him in the North in the past 10 years. But Nesbitt is a twat, so it isn't surprising.

Enigma Variations

She is hopeless in every respect.
She lacks generosity for a start.
But far worse, she lacks basic judgement. She is devoid of the sort of imagination needed to make the smallest of compromises, even when her own interests are at stake, which is why she couldn't bring herself to stand aside for even 4 weeks, most of it during the Christmas break. And her appointment of a buffoon like Givan to her front bench, who didn't even have the foresight to postpone his petty Irish language funding cut until after the crisis had passed, proved to be a monumentally bad choice. She must be privately raging at him.
And finally, her sanctioning of the RHI scheme either proves that she is so stupid that she couldn't understand its basic flaws or that she was too lazy to read the proposals properly. Considering that she was warned by email of its flaws subsequently by a member of the public and ignored ignored it, I think the former is probably true.

GDPR

She is hopeless in every respect.
She lacks generosity for a start.
But far worse, she lacks basic judgement. She is devoid of the sort of imagination needed to make the smallest of compromises, even when her own interests are at stake, which is why she couldn't bring herself to stand aside for even 4 weeks, most of it during the Christmas break. And her appointment of a buffoon like Givan to her front bench, who didn't even have the foresight to postpone his petty Irish language funding cut until after the crisis had passed, proved to be a monumentally bad choice. She must be privately raging at him.
And finally, her sanctioning of the RHI scheme either proves that she is so stupid that she couldn't understand its basic flaws or that she was too lazy to read the proposals properly. Considering that she was warned by email of its flaws subsequently by a member of the public and ignored ignored it, I think the former is probably true.
Let us face the facts; Gregory Campbell would have done a better job than her, he certainly wouldn't have done a worse one and even if he was a bad as her he would have at least given us a lot of giggles along the way.

hollandia

I listened to Ian jr this morning ok Sean o rourke, and he sounded genuine enough. This may well be a ploy to dethrone Arlene, but my impression was the sentiment was true. And he's just demonstrated that he is at least smarter than Arlene.

GDPR

I listened to Ian jr this morning ok Sean o rourke, and he sounded genuine enough. This may well be a ploy to dethrone Arlene, but my impression was the sentiment was true. And he's just demonstrated that he is at least smarter than Arlene.[/QUOTE]

Damning with faint praise....

Irish-Rationalist

I'm not sure why. Loads of nationalists think the IRA were complete cúnts too. That said, Nesbitt could have at least acknowledged that Martin did throw himself 100% into constitutional politics and there were few better than him in the North in the past 10 years. But Nesbitt is a twat, so it isn't surprising.
Nesbitt's primary concern is to reinstall the UUP as the dominant unionist party, and the DUP have delivered the UUP the opportunity. However, Mikey's faux macho stance (hear the language and witness the body language) stenches of an attempt at uncompromising old school unionism, and it's a bit late in the day for retro-unionist political posturing.

It should be remembered that when a remembrance gathering at Stormont ended in a rendition of "God Save The Queen", Mikey was the first to approach former PIRA commander McGuinness and offer the comforting words "It's all just a stunt". Besides, Martin has been much closer to the Queen during his tenure as DFM, even sleeping in her bed at Hillsborough. Poor ole pretender Nesbitt didn't get a look in.

DaveM

I listened to Ian jr this morning ok Sean o rourke, and he sounded genuine enough. This may well be a ploy to dethrone Arlene, but my impression was the sentiment was true. And he's just demonstrated that he is at least smarter than Arlene.
Well his old man and McGuinness seemingly became genuine friends and apparently McGuinness has stayed in touch with his mother since Senior's death. Just goes to show that a little human kindness can go a very long way...

Glaucon

Nesbitt's primary concern is to reinstall the UUP as the dominant unionist party, and the DUP have delivered the UUP the opportunity. However, Mikey's faux macho stance (hear the language and witness the body language) stenches of an attempt at uncompromising old school unionism, and it's a bit late in the day for retro-unionist political posturing.

It should be remembered that when a remembrance gathering at Stormont ended in a rendition of "God Save The Queen", Mikey was the first to approach former PIRA commander McGuinness and offer the comforting words "It's all just a stunt". Besides, Martin has been much closer to the Queen during his tenure as DFM, even sleeping in her bed at Hillsborough. Poor ole pretender Nesbitt didn't get a look in.
Nesbitt has zero integrity.

death or glory

caulfield

This is the first time I can ever recall agreeing with a DUP man. Perhaps there is posturing behind his words but they sounded genuine to me and seemed to come with a genuine desire to move beyond tribal politics.
I have a lot of time for McGuinness. He was able to look forward and compromise when so many of our politicians, of either hue, are so bereft of those abilities.
Most of the threads relating to this issue are peppered with all too predictable murderer/terrorist/PIRA comments. Time to move on.

devonish

This is the first time I can ever recall agreeing with a DUP man. Perhaps there is posturing behind his words but they sounded genuine to me and seemed to come with a genuine desire to move beyond tribal politics.
I have a lot of time for McGuinness. He was able to look forward and compromise when so many of our politicians, of either hue, are so bereft of those abilities.
Most of the threads relating to this issue are peppered with all too predictable murderer/terrorist/PIRA comments. Time to move on.
Great, saves me posting as I totally agree with your post.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies