Iarnrod Eireannn: A disgraceful dereliction of duty

GDPR

During Dail questions yesterday, Brendan Howlin was querying in relation to the National Planning Framework and Brexit as to why there were scant details regarding plans for Rosslare Europort in the National Planning Framework. The reply from Varadkar lays bare the lack of interest that Iarnrod Eireann as owners of Rosslare Europort, actually have. Perhaps I should not be surprised given that not so long ago they wanted to shut the rail line down. Varadkars reply to the Dail question:

"Rosslare Europort is owned by Irish Rail. Irish Rail did not put forward any specific plans for the development of the port. Other ports, for example the Port of Cork, the Port of Dublin and the Port of Foynes, put forward their own detailed proposals for development, which the Government supports. That is why they are included in the plan. The plan (National Planning Framework), which is backed by a ten year infrastructure investment plan".

Given the increasing likelihood of a hard Brexit and the need to seriously consider other transport methods of getting to EU markets that don't involve traversing the UK and potential tariffs, I find it incredible the lack of forward thinking that typifies a Dublin centric and unaccountable public quango. Who should take over the running of Rosslare Europort and evict these absentee landlords?

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2018030600020?opendocument

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 48908

Well....it's in Wexford. Kinda outta the way. Maybe it could be sold off to the Chinese like Piraeus.

GDPR

Well....it's in Wexford. Kinda outta the way.
The closest large port to the European mainland. The thing that bugs me is the the 5 southeast local authorities in a joint submission to the draft National Planning Framework stressed the importance of developing Rosslare Europort to the region as a whole, and nada, neither Iarnrod Eireann nor the centralised Dublin departments give a damm, despite saying they want to develop the regions outside Dublin. Nevermind Brexit.

fergal1790

Just as well we don't use Rosslare for any real freight or passenger service consider it was snowed in for the last week!

Ireland has enough ports without this lemon, the sooner the rail link is lifted the better as it will spell the end for the port. It is not needed and has not been needed for at least 40 years.

D

Deleted member 48908

The closest large port to the European mainland. The thing that bugs me is the the 5 southeast local authorities in a joint submission to the draft National Planning Framework stressed the importance of developing Rosslare Europort to the region as a whole, and nada, neither Iarnrod Eireann nor the centralised Dublin departments give a damm, despite saying they want to develop the regions outside Dublin. Nevermind Brexit.

It's going to come down to infrastructure. How well connected, by motorway, is Wexford to the rest of the country? Better than the other ports you mention?

fergal1790

It's going to come down to infrastructure. How well connected, by motorway, is Wexford to the rest of the country? Better than the other ports you mention?
Rosslare has one single lane road that is a nightmare in cold/icy weather.

D

Deleted member 48908

That's a relatively small, quick and inexpensive fix.

Motorways from across the country, connecting to major manufacturing and agricultural centres, all funneling cargo to Rosslare is what would make it worthwhile.

fergal1790

That's a relatively small, quick and inexpensive fix.

Motorways from across the country, connecting to major manufacturing and agricultural centres, all funneling cargo to Rosslare is what would make it worthwhile.
Except we already have those Motorways going to other ports so why should we spend money we don't have on duplication to sate some who would have us return to steam trains into the ports and cattle boats from Dublin to Liverpool.

D

Deleted member 48908

Except we already have those Motorways going to other ports so why should we spend money we don't have on duplication to sate some who would have us return to steam trains into the ports and cattle boats from Dublin to Liverpool.
Why indeed. The cheapest (per ton of cargo moved) part of the journey is the bit on the boat.

A hidden positive that your post brings to mind could be an end to live export.

Nedz Newt

If it's in the Plan, FG own it.
If it's not, someone else owns it.
Got it.
(IR being, er, thrown under the bus?)

integratetransport

Just as well we don't use Rosslare for any real freight or passenger service consider it was snowed in for the last week!

Ireland has enough ports without this lemon, the sooner the rail link is lifted the better as it will spell the end for the port. It is not needed and has not been needed for at least 40 years.
the line right into the port was lifted a long time ago. It didn't spell the end for the port. The line up to wexford and beyond won't be lifted as it's in use and passenger numbers for the whole service to dublin are very healthy. even if it was lifted it wouldn't spell the end of the port.
the reason for all this being the case, the fact that rosslare is a busy ro-ro port. a busy ro-ro port which is needed and is going nowhere.

apart from being a little il-informed rant, what the hell has steam trains and cattle boats got to do with a very busy ro-ro port in county wexford.

Paddy{ie

I’m sure when you read back your comments in the cold sober light of day, you’ll be kicking yourself for making such a fool of yourself.
You should really inform yourself before a litany of gung-ho posts.

Gurdiev77

lazy bureaucrats .

Watcher2

During Dail questions yesterday, Brendan Howlin was querying in relation to the National Planning Framework and Brexit as to why there were scant details regarding plans for Rosslare Europort in the National Planning Framework. The reply from Varadkar lays bare the lack of interest that Iarnrod Eireann as owners of Rosslare Europort, actually have. Perhaps I should not be surprised given that not so long ago they wanted to shut the rail line down. Varadkars reply to the Dail question:

"Rosslare Europort is owned by Irish Rail. Irish Rail did not put forward any specific plans for the development of the port. Other ports, for example the Port of Cork, the Port of Dublin and the Port of Foynes, put forward their own detailed proposals for development, which the Government supports. That is why they are included in the plan. The plan (National Planning Framework), which is backed by a ten year infrastructure investment plan".

Given the increasing likelihood of a hard Brexit and the need to seriously consider other transport methods of getting to EU markets that don't involve traversing the UK and potential tariffs, I find it incredible the lack of forward thinking that typifies a Dublin centric and unaccountable public quango. Who should take over the running of Rosslare Europort and evict these absentee landlords?

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2018030600020?opendocument

Management in Irish Rail don't even know how to run a rail company. What is a port doing under their managements? FFS!!!

GDPR

A fair point. Whether it be development of Bellview port on the outskirts of Waterford, or Rosslare port, it is of strategic interest for the southeast not to be left further behind regarding a proper port for cargo and passengers for the area. Even Galway, has advanced plans for developing the harbour. But, absolutely no plan, whatsoever, is just unacceptable. If a plan didn't stack up, fair enough, but there is zero interest in any sort of plan, so the port needs to be taken off IE, promptly.

'orebel

Management in Irish Rail don't even know how to run a rail company. What is a port doing under their managements? FFS!!!
^This^

Analyzer

Analyzer

Full marks to dwarf for bringing up the issue.

Leo and Shane Ross seem to be asleep at the wheel. (pun full intended).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies