Iceland elections Aaarrrrrr Matey!

silverharp

In other election news gotto love a country that has a Pirate Party possibly going to win a national election

The other election: Pirates poised to topple Iceland's governing party - The Globe and Mail

The other election: Pirates poised to topple Iceland's governing party

Icelanders defied strong winds and rain on Saturday to vote in a parliamentary election with polls showing the opposition led by the anti-establishment Pirate Party could topple the ruling center-right coalition.

Icelanders’ faith in their political and financial establishment was shaken after the 2008 financial crisis and further eroded this year when several senior government figures were named in the Panama Papers on offshore tax havens.

The biggest protests in Icelandic history ultimately led to the resignation of Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson of the Progressive Party and the early election this weekend.

“I voted the Pirates this time because I want change. I’m tired of all this mess,” Georg Jonasson, 49 and unemployed, told Reuters after casting his ballot at the Laugalaekjar school.

Founded by Internet activists and led by poet Birgitta Jonsdottir, the Pirates promise to clean up corruption, look into granting asylum to ex-U.S. spy contractor Edward Snowden and involve people more directly in lawmaking.

“Change is beautiful, there is nothing to worry about... We can sense that the times are a-changing,” said Jonsdottir after casting her vote, quoting American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan’s anthem of civil rights and Vietnam War protests.

Dame_Enda

They won't be allowed dismantle copyright protection with only a fifth of the vote if that's what they are looking for

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I must say I do like the Icelanders. When they get the hump they really do express it.

I've been following the polls on this one and I think it is possible that the Pirate Party could form part of the government but I suspect as part of a coalition with a left party and probably won't get an outright majority.

It would be nice to see though and I rather like the sound of the Pirate Party- anything which threatens the staid charade of left and right miniscule pendulum swinging is fine by me.

Icelanders. A grand bunch of lads.

silverharp

[video=youtube;cBK7u5QKMEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBK7u5QKMEQ[/video]

PeaceGoalie

I must say I do like the Icelanders. When they get the hump they really do express it.

Quite. I remember when their navy sailed out to fight the Royal nabvy in the Cod war. They let off a few rounds too. And jailed their bankers. Iceland ain't Ireland.

Prof Honeydew

In other election news gotto love a country that has a Pirate Party possibly going to win a national election

“I voted the Pirates this time because I want change. I’m tired of all this mess,” Georg Jonasson, 49 and unemployed, told Reuters after casting his ballot at the Laugalaekjar school.

Founded by Internet activists and led by poet Birgitta Jonsdottir, the Pirates promise to clean up corruption, look into granting asylum to ex-U.S. spy contractor Edward Snowden and involve people more directly in lawmaking.

“Change is beautiful, there is nothing to worry about... We can sense that the times are a-changing,” said Jonsdottir after casting her vote, quoting American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan’s anthem of civil rights and Vietnam War protests.
The other election: Pirates poised to topple Iceland's governing party - The Globe and Mail
Handing Iceland over to keyboard warriors? Jeez, this should be interesting. They could put a stunning Cabinet together from all the nutjobs we have on P.ie's Brexit and US Presidential Election threads.

ruserious

We've already had our share of pillagers and plunderers on this fair isle. Captain Ray "one leg" Burke and Stoker "Stroker" Ahern amongst them.

silverharp

Handing Iceland over to keyboard warriors? Jeez, this should be interesting. They could put a stunning Cabinet together from all the nutjobs we have on P.ie's Brexit and US Presidential Election threads.
they might be a bunch of low energy Bernie Saunders types

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'“We do not define ourselves as left or right, but rather as a party that focuses on the systems. In other words, we consider ourselves hackers – so to speak – of our current outdated systems of government.” (Birgitta Jonsdottir)

I like it.

derryman

My Icelandic mate has low opinion of them. He says they only want chaos and to break everything. He says Iceland has made great steps and need to continue as they are.

drummed

'“We do not define ourselves as left or right, but rather as a party that focuses on the systems. In other words, we consider ourselves hackers – so to speak – of our current outdated systems of government.” (Birgitta Jonsdottir)

I like it.
Why? Icelander's particularly despise Putin.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I've been following the polls on this one and I think it is possible that the Pirate Party could form part of the government but I suspect as part of a coalition with a left party and probably won't get an outright majority.

It would be nice to see though and I rather like the sound of the Pirate Party- anything which threatens the staid charade of left and right miniscule pendulum swinging is fine by me.

They have their priorities right

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name

'Helped by a tourism boom – 2.4 million visitors, nearly seven times the country’s population, are expected in 2017 – economic growth is forecast to reach 4.3% this year, and unemployment has fallen to just over 3%.'

Their proposal of legalizing drugs will increase tourism further. If sucessful they will probably follow this with cannabis treatment centers. This within a short flight from Europe would be a major attraction.

silverharp

with all the free heating growing cannabis might be a lucrative thing?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies