Iceland General Election 2017

SideysGhost

Takes place 28th October following the collapse of the previous centre-right coalition over a child abuse scandal.

Seems to be pretty chaotic with no less than 9 main parties and two minnows taking part however the biggest two who are really competing to see who leads the next government are Independence Party (centre-right) and Left-Green Movement (take a wild guess lol) who are neck-and-neck in the polls at around 22% each

An interesting twist with Left-Green is that while adopting most of the usual progressive policies they are also firmly anti-NATO, anti-EU, and anti-Free Trade Agreements which these days are usually policies of the populist Right.

Left-Green leader Katrin Jakobsdottir, 41 is being portrayed in Kiwi media as the "next Jacinda".

Can the left/green progressives rack up another win over the Right? Has the high-water mark of Trumpist right-wing populism passed? Or is there still a market for it in the remote North Atlantic island nation?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98281859/icelands-election-a-tight-race-as-young-leftwing-woman-bids-for-power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_parliamentary_election,_2017

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/27/iceland-set-for-second-snap-election-in-a-year-after-series-of-scandals

Last edited:

aldiper

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

A fascinating place Iceland, was over there in the last while.

Costco recently opened there and ordinary Icelanders were reaping the benefits in terms of cheaper goods, on an a notoriously expensive island.

Recall speaking to locals and hearing them complain about how most big stores in Reykjavik were ultimately owned by the same three or four guys.

Never understood the Left's objections to free trade when it obviously benefits the ordinary person... :|

NYCKY

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

A fascinating place Iceland, was over there in the last while.

Costco recently opened there and ordinary Icelanders were reaping the benefits in terms of cheaper goods, on an a notoriously expensive island.

Recall speaking to locals and hearing them complain about how most big stores in Reykjavik were ultimately owned by the same three or four guys.

Never understood the Left's objections to free trade when it obviously benefits the ordinary person... :|
I was there myself, just two weeks ago. I did spot the election posters everywhere but locals weren't really talking about it too much, they had just qualified for the World Cup and that was the topic du jour.

But agree a fascinating and expensive place. The cranes were everywhere in Reyjkavik, low unemployment, Poles making up nearly 5% of the population, shortage of workers, housing etc, has all the makings of an Arctic or Nordic Tiger.

Looking at the history, governments brought down by child abuse scandals and the mention of Panama papers. Could read like Ireland.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
One of the places I'd like to go to in Europe for the sights and the strangeness of its geography and these days I tend not to travel so much. What I read and see in the news of Icelandic people leaves me with an impression that I'd like them.

Seems to me that there is a strong strand of what is right and wrong in them and they can be nicely firm about it even though beset with the usual venality visible in career politicians.

Great political traditions for a small nation and there is something friendly and no nonsense about them to be admired.

Wish we were a bit more like them at times.

SideysGhost

A pretty complicated result. No less than 8 parties in the 63-seat Althing.

The three parties of the outgoing centre-right coalition lost 12 seats but the established centre-left opposition only picked up one of them with two new parties getting the other 11 - 7 to the centre-right Center Party led by disgraced ex-PM and Panama Papers alumni Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson, and 4 to the People's Party who seem to be quite similar to NZ First described as "railing against immigration, poverty and corruption". Bright Future got wiped out.

Coalition negotiations are expected to be complicated as even a Grand Coalition of Independence and Left Green, the two largest parties, would still be 5 seats short of a majority! The Progressives appear to hold the balance of power with 8 seats. Traditionally an agrarian centre-right party, in recent years they've drifted towards centrist populism. Left Green, Social Democrats, Pirates and Progressives together would have a bare majority. Or there could be a minority govt (led by either Independence or Left Green) backed up by the likes of the Progressives or People's Party providing confidence and supply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_parliamentary_election,_2017

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-29/iceland-election-opens-path-to-power-for-charismatic-leftist

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies