Iceland to elect citizens' panel to rewrite constitution

Interista

Should we consider this idea?
Perhaps, but even if we did, it would never happen. Unlike Ireland, Iceland is a genuine democracy. Didn't they have a referendum about whether or not to bail out their toxic banks, and aren't some of those who got Iceland into this mess on trial?

TradCat

What's wrong with our constitution that needs changing?
The electoral and parliamentary systems is the major ones obviously. I don't think there can be any doubt that they have failed us. It would be difficult for professional politicians to put aside their self-interest in that matter so an alternative elected assembly would take a more objective view.

A more meaningful statement of the principles of the state and our common understanding of nationality may also be worthwhile.

Of course people who held the view that we are fine as we are could elect people to the convention on a no change ticket.

onetimeonly

Perhaps, but even if we did, it would never happen. Unlike Ireland, Iceland is a genuine democracy. Didn't they have a referendum about whether or not to bail out their toxic banks, and aren't some of those who got Iceland into this mess on trial?
I might be misremembering this but didn't it all stem from the Icelandic president going against the government and not signing the law that would transfer the debt to the taxpayer?

Super8

We should certainly reform the electoral system completely.

Local councillors should deal exclusively with local issues with TDs only dealing with issues of national importance. We have to put an end to pothole politics.

I actually believe that local councils should have more remit and more autonomy. In Switzerland, the cantons have their own health and educational policies and it works very well. All councils should have democratically elected mayors.

Reduce the number of TDs to about 80.

Disband the Gardaí into smaller municipal or regional police forces and keep a national police force for serious crime and murder investigations. The Gardaí are too open to political influence.

H.R. Haldeman

It bugs the crap out of me when the public demand more involvement in public affairs when the truth is that if you gave it to them and asked them to consider reform to the CAP, or how to fix potholes, or how to amend the bankruptcy legislation, or how to shave €100m off a departmental budget their eyes would roll in their heads with boredom and incomprehension. They don't actually want more say at all - they just want things run competently and quietly. They only want more say when that's not happening. Trying to "involve" the public in the political process is an almost entirely bogus concept.

That said, on the narrow matter of the Icelandic idea, it has some merit. As long as the, you know, correct citizens are chosen.

TradCat

It bugs the crap out of me when the public demand more involvement in public affairs when the truth is that if you gave it to them and asked them to consider reform to the CAP, or how to fix potholes, or how to amend the bankruptcy legislation, or how to shave €100m off a departmental budget their eyes would roll in their heads with boredom and incomprehension. They don't actually want more say at all - they just want things run competently and quietly. They only want more say when that's not happening. Trying to "involve" the public in the political process is an almost entirely bogus concept.

That said, on the narrow matter of the Icelandic idea, it has some merit. As long as the, you know, correct citizens are chosen.
Of course most of us wouldn't know how the run the country. The problem is we are electing people who don't know either. The parties want compliant lobby fodder and too many voters want stroke pullers.

Nobody is demanding actual legislators. But if we don't change it we will continue to fail.

Number2

We should all have a say in how we are governed after the debacle of the last 10 years.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
i don't get this surely this will just produce wierdos, why not just come up with multiple choice referendum for these reforms, i know this is partly what they are doing, but why these elections, just pick a random lot have a citizen assemble if you must, and let the population choose.

i'd prefer the risk of populist choices then 30 people choosing seem more democratic to me.

Gael Nua

Disappointed this didn't get more airing - interested in what the Second Republic crowd are thinking.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies