Iceland vs Iceland: how a small nation is fighting for its name.

O

Oscurito

Iceland, the country, is suing Iceland, the British supermarket over the use of the name.

At first glance, it seems a little over the top. After all, what's in a name? Can't they share? Surely, no-one would be so stupid to confuse the two?

However, it turns out that the British brand has been behaving in a VERY bullying way, aggressively pursuing and winning multiple cases against Icelandic companies, that use the word "Iceland" as part of their name or trademark.

That's the red line, folks. Iceland, the supermarket, deserves to lose this one heavily and I hope that The Real Iceland takes them to the cleaners and back again.

Irish people will be familiar with their misplaced arrogance. In 2013, the CEO was initially dismissive of tests carried out in Ireland showing the presence of horse DNA in his company's burgers. He ended up eating humble pie and I hope they will again.

I, for one, shall be boycotting "Iceland" the Supermarket until they come to their senses.

Sources:
1. Iceland (the country) is suing Iceland (the supermarket) - Independent.ie
2. Iceland's boss sorry for slur on Irish meat DNA tests - Independent.ie

Half Nelson

Marketing "Ire-land" wouldn't be far of the mark.
There's a lot of it about.

Half Nelson

Has Michael O'Leary heard about this?

That cheap flight might be further from your hotel than you think.

PeaceGoalie

Iceland, the country, is suing Iceland, the British supermarket over the use of the name.

At first glance, it seems a little over the top. After all, what's in a name? Can't they share? Surely, no-one would be so stupid to confuse the two?

However, it turns out that the British brand has been behaving in a VERY bullying way, aggressively pursuing and winning multiple cases against Icelandic companies, that use the word "Iceland" as part of their name or trademark.
Interesting topic old boy. Iceland the country have pluck, the old Dunkirk spirit. As for those other blighters...

My favourite was when the Icelandic Navy (country) sent the Royal Navy lacking over the Cod (no pun) War

So much to admire over Iceland the country

Let's all salute them and Russia Today with this video

[video=youtube;mav2kkvakGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mav2kkvakGY[/video]

gerhard dengler

Greenland Group are real messers.

They own a company named Greenland Hong Kong Holdings.

Man your compass.

Accidental sock

Fight fire with fire.....the Republic of Iceland should hold a referendum to change the name of the state to "Crappyfrozenmuckistan" and hire Kerry Katona as an ambassador.

forest

I admire Iceland. A decade or two back there was an attempt to launch their country into the cesspit of the EU. However, in the national debate that the move prompted, many people pointed out that Mass Immigration would wipe out Icelandic ethnicity for ever. So the Icelanders said: No. We are a nation, we want to live as a nation, we do not want to be overrun by Poles, Slovaks, Slovenes etc.

They had more guts than the Irish!

And they'll remain a nation long after Ireland is a nothing.
Its true they opted not to join the EU but Iceland is part of the Single Market and accepts free movement of people from within the EU

O

Oscurito

Greenland Group will be getting a solicitors letter?
Are they stopping Greenlandic companies from using the name?

The above case is the equivalent of Cuisine de France, an Irish company, stopping French companies using the name "France".

Such arrogance would be unthinkable.

Seanie Lemass

Its true they opted not to join the EU but Iceland is part of the Single Market and accepts free movement of people from within the EU

The reason Iceland and Norway turned down EEC membership was fish.

They realised they were being attempted to be conned out of major national resource.

Guess what country's chinless wonders fell for the con hook. line and sinker....

PeaceGoalie

Iceland is a member of the Schengen area so much more open to free movement of persons than Ireland.
Try disappearing in a population smaller than Cork's. Our occupation forces are increasing exponentially

O

Oscurito

Iceland is a member of the Schengen area so much more open to free movement of persons than Ireland.
So! It seems that we're the ones with "more guts" and that we're the ones who will "remain a nation long after [the other one] is a nothing".

I see that E McHale has deleted the earlier post. :lol:

Caothaoir

I, for one, shall be boycotting "Iceland" the Supermarket until they come to their senses.
To be fair, that shouldn't be too difficult.
Iceland (the supermarket:D) is shìte, frozen shìte.

New Threads

Most Replies