ICTU economist: Lenihan an 'economic war criminal'

Ulster-Lad

The Irish Congress of Trade Union's economist is accusing the Finance Minister of making serious errors that will cost people dearly.

Paul Sweeney branded Brian Lenihan "an economic war criminal" and said the policies he had pursued were worse than those of former Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy.

The senior ICTU official made the remarks at a conference in Dublin organised by the independent think-tank TASC, which is examining the Government's proposed austerity measures.

"I think he's made some really serious errors...He's going to really drive Ireland into a deep recession in the forth-coming Budget," said Mr Sweeney.
ICTU economist: Lenihan an 'economic war criminal' | BreakingNews.ie

This is going to be real interesting.

HarshBuzz

He's going to really drive Ireland into a deep recession in the forth-coming Budget," said Mr Sweeney.
while I have little or no time for Lenihan, Mr Sweeney appears oblivious to the fact that we are already in a depression

maybe ICTU should give their members a break and cut contributions so they can get rid of imbeciles like him off the payroll?

Ulster-Lad

In the coming time, I would not be surprised to see the contributions to the Unions decreased dramatically.

HarshBuzz

In the coming time, I would not be surprised to see the contributions to the Unions decreased dramatically.
Mrs Buzz ceased making payments to IMPACT last month

Expatriot

He is 100% correct. Lenihan was politically and economically under qualified for the job. He got it as he was a low political threat to Cowen. He talks a good fight, but is bluffer and risk taker. His bank policy and NAMA have virtually undone all of the work of recent decades of not since Independence. He has ruined the economy. To think only a couple of weeks ago Cowen was saying 3 billion was still the figrue and now they are talking about up to 7 billion. The are in total chaos and have not a clue what they are at. He is a total liability anyway you look at it. It is beyond a joke that many people see him leading FF to a victory in a GE.

HarshBuzz

He has ruined the economy. .
in fairness now, he's had a lot of help - the economy was already ruined by the time he got the job!

Expatriot

in fairness now, he's had a lot of help - the economy was already ruined by the time he got the job!
Taking on 500 billion euro in bank debt was a sucide note from the Republic of Ireland, that was his call.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Paul Sweeney is a wafflonomist

He never backs up any of his gibberings with econometric modelling

cYp

slumdog1971

You are correct. The seeds of destruction were sown by McReevey and Harney, the fertiliser was applied by Cowen.

But the measure of an idiot is someone who keeps doing the same thing and expects a different answer each time and Lenihan is filling that role to perfection.

12bn taken out in two years, economy more dead now than 18months ago(if that's at all possible) and now it is proposed to take out another 12bn over the next four years.

McSweeney is not a bad economist. He is astute and intelligent. I have a feeling that this could be the first move in populist heave against this government.

Brian, Ireland is an Island, Lenihan needs to be removed from the Finance portfolio before we end shooting each other over tins of beans.

Jaysus wept.

HarshBuzz

Taking on 500 billion euro in bank debt was a sucide note from the Republic of Ireland, that was his call.
true that (although I don't think Cowen can escape responsibility for that as well)

but the property bubble (overseen and encouraged by Ahern, McCreevy and Cowen) had already burst by the time that Lenihan became Finance Minister. The consequences of that plus the fiscal bubble were always going to lead to Crash. The banks were always going to go wallop. Jobs were always going to be lost. People were always going to lose their houses. It was too late.

I remember remarking at the time when Lenihan (to general surprise) was appointed FinMin that I felt a bit sorry for him. He quickly lost that!

HarshBuzz

12bn taken out in two years, economy more dead now than 18months ago(if that's at all possible) and now it is proposed to take out another 12bn over the next four years.
you're forgetting something; if we want to remain in the EU, we have no choice

the decisions aren't ours to make anymore, all we get to do is to choose the method of reaching the goal, not the goal itself

Expatriot

true that (although I don't think Cowen can escape responsibility for that as well)

but the property bubble (overseen and encouraged by Ahern, McCreevy and Cowen) had already burst by the time that Lenihan became Finance Minister. The consequences of that plus the fiscal bubble were always going to lead to Crash. The banks were always going to go wallop. Jobs were always going to be lost. People were always going to lose their houses. It was too late.

I remember remarking at the time when Lenihan (to general surprise) was appointed FinMin that I felt a bit sorry for him. He quickly lost that!
He did not build the Titanic, he did not drive onto ice, but he did decide we should all try swimming to New York once it happened. There are plenty of idiots about the place here, but this Sindo induced idea that he is somehow above all of it is a joke. He is at least as bad if not worse, the mistake he has made is unforgivable.

Expatriot

the decisions aren't ours to make anymore, all we get to do is to choose the method of reaching the goal, not the goal itself
It is more a question of the EU wanting us at this stage. Other than as a source of well qualified young workers we are a dead weight on the Union and will be for our lifetimes.

HarshBuzz

It is more a question of the EU wanting us at this stage. Other than as a source of well qualified young workers we are a dead weight on the Union and will be for our lifetimes.
ah....German war guilt

my favourite emotion of all :)

might pay for a few nurses in the years to come

although on salaries of 15-20k obviously

HarshBuzz

He did not build the Titanic, he did not drive onto ice, but he did decide we should all try swimming to New York once it happened. There are plenty of idiots about the place here, but this Sindo induced idea that he is somehow above all of it is a joke. He is at least as bad if not worse, the mistake he has made is unforgivable.
I'm just pointing out that culpability is not his alone

Cowen is more guilty and Ahern even more so

while I have little or no time for Lenihan, Mr Sweeney appears oblivious to the fact that we are already in a depression

maybe ICTU should give their members a break and cut contributions so they can get rid of imbeciles like him off the payroll?
Huh its freaky friday cos I agree with you.

G

Gimpanzee

lol

Elmer

He is 100% correct. Lenihan was politically and economically under qualified for the job. He got it as he was a low political threat to Cowen. He talks a good fight, but is bluffer and risk taker. His bank policy and NAMA have virtually undone all of the work of recent decades of not since Independence. He has ruined the economy. To think only a couple of weeks ago Cowen was saying 3 billion was still the figrue and now they are talking about up to 7 billion. The are in total chaos and have not a clue what they are at. He is a total liability anyway you look at it. It is beyond a joke that many people see him leading FF to a victory in a GE.
I know. This is the man whose economic strategy appears to be based on the fact that "Ireland is an island". His popularity beggars belief.

Paul Sweeney is right.

slumdog1971

I accept that the EU are the top dogs. We have a little war chest of 14bn or so in the Pension fund. Take 2.5 bn in cus to Departmental budgets, to welafre, to ps pay where ever but counteract with a 2 bn fund for vaiable business. Do this for four years if you must.

Give us a bleedin' chance anyway. Surely Alan Aherne can talk some sense. He must know we are banjaxed. He has to get away from Brian, Ireland is an Island, Lenihan or he will go from the most respected to the most ridiculed economist on this island , after Dan McLaughlin.

HarshBuzz

Give us a bleedin' chance anyway. Surely Alan Aherne can talk some sense. He must know we are banjaxed. He has to get away from Brian, Ireland is an Island, Lenihan or he will go from the most respected to the most ridiculed economist on this island , after Dan McLaughlin.
Austin Hughes surely deserves an honourable mention

plus the entire cast at the ESRI

ooooh and Marc Coleman

not forgetting Marie Hunt

I could go on :lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies