Ideal Labour and Fine Gael ministeries in Government

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
It would all depend on how many TD's they get and who is likely to be Taoiseach.

I don't know most of the Labour front bench. So I would fill most of the missing blanks in with Labour members.

So???

Taoiseach- Eamon Gilmore

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs- Enda Kenny

Department of Finance- Joan Burton
Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation- Richard Bruton
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs- Fergus O'Dowd
Department of Defence-
Department of Education and Skills- Jan O'Sullivan
Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government
Department of Health and Children- Dr. James Reilly
Department of Justice and Law Reform- Alan Shatter
Department of Social Protection
Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Department of Transport

However it does break down I think that the next Government made up by Labour and Fine Gael is going to be a lot more competent and radical than the current one.

GalwayEagle

It would all depend on how many TD's they get and who is likely to be Taoiseach.

I don't know most of the Labour front bench. So I would fill most of the missing blanks in with Labour members.

So???

Taoiseach- Eamon Gilmore

Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation- Richard Bruton
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs- Fergus O'Dowd
Department of Defence-
Department of Education and Skills- Jan O'Sullivan
Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government
Department of Health and Children- Dr. James Reilly
Department of Justice and Law Reform- Alan Shatter
Department of Social Protection
Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Department of Transport

However it does break down I think that the next Government made up by Labour and Fine Gael is going to be a lot more competent and radical than the current one.

Well Enda Kenny will be Taoiseach anyway. Finance would have to be Gilmore (Sadly), Enterprise would be Bruton, Public Sector Reform would be Leo Varadkar. Health would be Reilly and Law would be Shatter. Transport would be Simon Coveney.

The other roles would be Labour.

RahenyFG

Can't leave Leo out. The man has the makings of a great minister and future Fine Gael leader

PUFF DADDY

Well Enda Kenny will be Taoiseach anyway. Finance would have to be Gilmore (Sadly), Enterprise would be Bruton, Public Sector Reform would be Leo Varadkar. Health would be Reilly and Law would be Shatter. Transport would be Simon Coveney.

Does the MOF have to go to LAB, if the case FG have the most seats ? I mean is it a given that the smaller party gets MOF, tanaiste yep, but it does not have to be MOF surely as well, I think Eamonn would not be right for the country as MOF, maybe enterprise or foreign affairs, in these times we need Bruton or Leo me thinks. MOF is the main role in govt tbh

DJP

Website
Twitter
Can't leave Leo out. The man has the makings of a great minister and future Fine Gael leader
I wouldn't leave him out either. I am not sure where he would go to. He would be suited to more than one department.

Davidoff

I'd love to see one of the old warhorses like Pat Rabbitte or Michael Noonan given the Justice brief with a mandate to reform the legal profession. Certainly the last thing we need is yet another lawyer protecting the closed shop down at the Four Goldmines.

Rocket Man

I would agree that Kenny will be Taoiseach meaning that Lab will have to get Finance.
I don't think that Gilmore will take it himself though.
Burton is the obvious choice and in my view would be very sucessful in the role. However I am not sure how widely that opinion is held among the public.
I would not be suprised if Rabbitte or Quinn ended up in the job.

DJCB33

If Alan Kelly as expected stands for the Dail he would make an excellent minister, he's a future leader of Lab. Sean Sherlock would do well in agriculture but FG big farmer histrory might not allow that, Rabbit would be a far superior minister for justice to D Ahern, a monkey would also be superior to him.

Who could handle health? Shatter or Shorthall would be the two big hitters but would want Angola?

Greener

I'd love to see one of the old warhorses like Pat Rabbitte or Michael Noonan given the Justice brief with a mandate to reform the legal profession. Certainly the last thing we need is yet another lawyer protecting the closed shop down at the Four Goldmines.
What a stupid, bald, and factually incorrect statement.

What "reforms" do you believe need to be made.

DJP

Website
Twitter
If Alan Kelly as expected stands for the Dail he would make an excellent minister, he's a future leader of Lab. Sean Sherlock would do well in agriculture but FG big farmer histrory might not allow that, Rabbit would be a far superior minister for justice to D Ahern, a monkey would also be superior to him.

Who could handle health? Shatter or Shorthall would be the two big hitters but would want Angola?
Have you never heard of Dr. James Reilly, the FG deputy leader, TD for Dublin North, their Health and Children spokesperson and former head of the IMO?

civilserpant

9:6 split.
The Dublin centric bias of Labour heavy hitters will effect the FG nominations....

FG: Kenny - Bruton, O'Reilly, Shatter, Vaaradkar (4 dublin), Coveney, Hogan and 3 from O'Regan (Seanad?), O'Dowd/McGuinness, Connaughton, Durkan, Noonan (not a cert), English, Ring, Naughton

Lab: Gilmore - Quinn, Burton, Rabbitte (all dublin!) and 2 from O'sullivan, Sherlock, Shortall (dub), Howlin, Stagg, Penrose

Taoiseach - Endy Kenny (Mayo)
Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs - Eamonn Gilmore (Dublin)
Department of Finance - Joan Burton (Dublin)
Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation- Richard Bruton (Dublin)
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food - Mairead McGuinness (Louth)
Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources - Sean Sherlock (Cork)
Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs - Michael Ring (Mayo)
Department of Public Sector Reform - Leo Vaaradkar (Dublin)
Department of Education and Skills - Brendan Howlin (Wexford)
Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government - Phil Hogan (Carlow)
Department of Health and Children - Dr. James Reilly (Dublin)
Department of Defence/ Justice and Law Reform - Alan Shatter (Dublin)
Department of Social Protection - Pat Rabbitte (Dublin)
Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport - Simon Coveney (Cork)
Department of Transport - Ruairi Quinn (Dublin)

DJP

Website
Twitter
What a stupid, bald, and factually incorrect statement.

What "reforms" do you believe need to be made.
I can think of one, probably the biggest- their wages!

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Taoiseach- Eamon Gilmore

Labour won't want the Department of Finance. No way in hell. Labour taking all responsibility for government fiscal policy and a sucession of hard budgets? No chance at all of that happening.

The catch though is Fine Geal won't want the DoF under Labour either. Gilmore as figurehead gets to 'feel the peoples pain' and shed a tear or two as Fine Geal has to deliver crushing blows to the 'wurkin man'? Fat chance. Enda would be a fool to take any such offer up. But thats the rub. The only configuration that would see Labour be able to take the top seat would be with FF as partner.

As it stands there is widening gulf between Labour and Fine Geal with regards to the amount and choice between cuts or taxation. Only a Labour/FF government would keep the Croke Park agreement intact. Nothing will be clear until the next budget, but as of now a coalition as junior partner to Labour, as polls suggest, would not be in Fine Geals interests at all.

DJP

Website
Twitter
9:6 split.
The Dublin centric bias of Labour heavy hitters will effect the FG nominations....

FG: Kenny - Bruton, O'Reilly, Shatter, Vaaradkar (4 dublin), Coveney, Hogan and 3 from O'Regan (Seanad?), O'Dowd/McGuinness, Connaughton, Durkan, Noonan (not a cert), English, Ring, Naughton

Lab: Gilmore - Quinn, Burton, Rabbitte (all dublin!) and 2 from O'sullivan, Sherlock, Shortall (dub), Howlin, Stagg, Penrose

Taoiseach - Endy Kenny (Mayo)
Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs - Eamonn Gilmore (Dublin)
Department of Finance - Joan Burton (Dublin)
Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation- Richard Bruton (Dublin)
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food - Mairead McGuinness (Louth)
Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources - Sean Sherlock (Cork)
Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs - Michael Ring (Mayo)
Department of Public Sector Reform - Leo Vaaradkar (Dublin)
Department of Education and Skills - Brendan Howlin (Wexford)
Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government - Phil Hogan (Carlow)
Department of Health and Children - Dr. James Reilly (Dublin)
Department of Defence/ Justice and Law Reform - Alan Shatter (Dublin)
Department of Social Protection - Pat Rabbitte (Dublin)
Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport - Simon Coveney (Cork)
Department of Transport - Ruairi Quinn (Dublin)
I don't think though that Mairead McGuinness is expected to get elected to the Dáil is she though? And you have it that FG will be the much larger party. I would expect Labour to be. And finally I hope that the Ministers for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs and Education and Skills will be able to speak Irish! :cool:

SilverLining

Labour all cabinet positions (reduced to 10), Fine Gael a big fat zero and absolutely no junior "ministers" (spokesprsons). Fine Gael need to be in a submissive and under the thumb position with no power what so ever.

Greener

I can think of one, probably the biggest- their wages!
Tell me about their wages, and what reforms should be made about said wages. Am I to assume that Lawyers are all on the same wage ?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Labour won't want the Department of Finance. No way in hell. Labour taking all responsibility for government fiscal policy and a sucession of hard budgets? No chance at all of that happening.

The catch though is Fine Geal won't want the DoF under Labour either. Gilmore as figurehead gets to 'feel the peoples pain' and shed a tear or two as Fine Geal has to deliver crushing blows to the 'wurkin man'? Fat chance. Enda would be a fool to take any such offer up. But thats the rub. The only configuration that would see Labour be able to take the top seat would be with FF as partner.

As it stands there is widening gulf between Labour and Fine Geal with regards to the amount and choice between cuts or taxation. Only a Labour/FF government would keep the Croke Park agreement intact. Nothing will be clear until the next budget, but as of now a coalition as junior partner to Labour, as polls suggest, would not be in Fine Geals interests at all.
Good point although your last statement is obvious! I think Joan Burton would like the position though. She is a heavy weight and would articulately blame FF for any tough decisions she has to make and it would sink with a lot of people whereas Michael Noonan is not that articulate and Richard Bruton would perhaps not be that blunt.

I want to see a fairer society. That's why I might vote for Labour next time for the first time in my life if I am impressed by their alternative budget(s) before the next GE more than I am with FG's.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Tell me about their wages, and what reforms should be made about said wages. Am I to assume that Lawyers are all on the same wage ?
I don't know the exact figures- you tell me? How much can lawyers make in a given year when working for the state? I believe it is a huge amount.

Greener

I don't know the exact figures- you tell me? How much can lawyers make in a given year when working for the state? I believe it is a huge amount.
If you are attempting to use tribunals as an example of what most solicitors and barristers can expect to work on and earn money from, then you are completely wide of the mark.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies