• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Identities of posters on Irish football site sought...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Some posters made allegations against individuals in Bray Wanderers FC on Foot.ie, and that site received a letter asking for the identities of those parties to be disclosed. The site itself has shut down its Bray Wanderers section, with an unusual "hope you're happy now" message to the Solicitors.

A neat reminder that anonymity doesn't mean immunity.

Announcements - Premier Division

borntorum

Is Denis O'Brien a member of Bray Wanderers?

Only joking, only joking

NewGoldDream

Website
-
But some of the stuff is nuts.

There was one particular poster here who kept on trying to implicate one politician in a ring of child abuse and murder and you kinda just had to scratch your head and wonder were they in the real world at all.

There is a thread about Ahern himself and his domestic life that the mods remarkably stand over, as they pull threads about Court cases that are in the public domain. I'd say if Ahern had the stomach for a fight, it would be a lot better than any previous trawl on some other matter.

SilverSpurs

Some posters made allegations against individuals in Bray Wanderers FC on Foot.ie, and that site received a letter asking for the identities of those parties to be disclosed. The site itself has shut down its Bray Wanderers section, with an unusual "hope you're happy now" message to the Solicitors.

This site is hosted on an American server to my knowledge to protect it's owner, however you are responsible for what you write.

FakeViking

But some of the stuff is nuts.

There was one particular poster here who kept on trying to implicate one politician in a ring of child abuse and murder and you kinda just had to scratch your head and wonder were they in the real world at all.

There is a thread about Ahern himself and his domestic life that the mods remarkably stand over, as they pull threads about Court cases that are in the public domain. I'd say if Ahern had the stomach for a fight, it would be a lot better than any previous trawl on some other matter.
Who was the politician? :)

emulator

This site is hosted on an American server to my knowledge to protect it's owner, however you are responsible for what you write.
I thought I read somewhere that they've changed it back ? Could be wrong....

GDPR

Anyone supporting Bray Wanderers should be exposed.

These are dangerous people.

ShoutingIsLeadership

FFS. I hope whatever was said was something seriously defamatory, and not just someone criticising the state of the toilets in the Carlisle.

Good win last Friday, and when Cork arrive next Tuesday, I'll be sure to mention this to Devo at some point in the evening!

bonkers

FFS. I hope whatever was said was something seriously defamatory, and not just someone criticising the state of the toilets in the Carlisle.

Good win last Friday, and when Cork arrive next Tuesday, I'll be sure to mention this to Devo at some point in the evening!
It was probably someone saying that its the coldest ground in the league. You must be some sort of mountainy man to go there every second Friday!

Quadrangle

It is amazing what a solicitors letter can get done. People just fall over in fear. I don't know about the allegations or what the letter they got said, but there is a well accepted safe haven for service providers in these situations. Funny that they're now banning the mention of a particular football team on a football forum. People shouldn't be so afraid and shouldn't treat a solicitors threats as legal fact.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It was probably someone saying that its the coldest ground in the league. You must be some sort of mountainy man to go there every second Friday!
I just can't resist the stench of rotten toilets :)

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
They'd want to be a little bit more careful posting there on Foot. I am a member as well, and they changed registration rules a few years back from any kind of an anonymous e mail account, to one more easily verifiable

They wouldn't accept Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo names etc.. I had to give them my work e mail

NewGoldDream

Website
-
It is amazing what a solicitors letter can get done. People just fall over in fear. I don't know about the allegations or what the letter they got said, but there is a well accepted safe haven for service providers in these situations. Funny that they're now banning the mention of a particular football team on a football forum. People shouldn't be so afraid and shouldn't treat a solicitors threats as legal fact.
By all accounts the letter was very reasonable and even praised the site...but did want the names of the posters.

What was that about?
A poster by the name of Saul of Tarsus set up an account and with his first post started a thread (which you could do in those days) about Grainne Carruth's evidence. Some of us, as usual, replied with observations on the Tribunal itself. The OPer then changed the title of the thread (which you could also do in those days) to include Ahern's solicitors, thus completely changing the context of the post. He then disappeared. Those of us who replied had said nothing about the solicitors in questions, I myself had only done my usual picking apart Ahern's stories.

A day or two later, the site received a solicitor's letter from the firm in question demanding 6 of our names and addresses. They had been tipped off, allegedly, by a senior FF functionary. The basis for doing so was ridiculous, as, in my case, I had said nothing about them nor quoted the OP, and my criticisms related only to Ahern himself. They hadn't any instructions from Ahern himself, and so had absolutely no right to demand my name and address. Anyway, DC refused to comply. There was then a period of to-ing and fro-ing where they accused DC of not respecting the confidentiality of what they had sent (he started a thread on it). If they had instructions from Ahern himself I would have gladly handed over my name and address as I would have taken pleasure in using a court appearance to expose him. They had no such instructions, however, and so I refused to hand over anything.

The six posters are now all gone bar me and, occasionally, Droghedasouth. However, I suspect that the object of the exercise was specifically me, as they would have been aware that I was unusually knowledgeable about what was going on and the detail of everything. Anyway, it all ran to sand, they backed off the fishing expedition. The Tribunals forum was closed down for a few days, then the server was moved to the USA in order to avail of the libel laws there (which, allegedly, protect the site, if not the individual posters). The site has recently moved back to Ireland, however.