Idiotic Cork Co. Co. Health & Safety Policy

Kitty O'Shea

The report also mentioned that Cork was going to arrange half day Health & Safety courses for those volunteers/community groups who wanted to grit the backroads. However, they were unable to say when these courses would be scheduled!!!

The cynic in me, tells me that some of the crony "training providers" of FAS fame will make a few bob out of this, probably sometime next year, when the snow is gone.
This sounds like they are covering their backs. If training is provided then the council have proof that all persons know how to correctly grit the backroads therefore if someone does try to sue the council have proof that they were trained to do it properly. Since volunteers & community groups are not employees of the council, I am not sure of the legal need to provide training or that such training would even stand up in court. Under h&s legislation employees have the legal obligation to co-operate with their employer on this matter. As I said before this might be a insurance requirement rather than H&S. All this kind of thing is always thrown in to the "h&s" basket. As for the format of the training?! I'd like to know that too :confused:

He3

Cork county council has climbed down.

edor

They have, with a stupid legal caveat for the farmers. I'd say this was all based on the decision of an idiot that lives in an apartment 5 minutes from the Cork CoCo offices. No concept of what the real world is like outide of the main city. Farmers all over the country have been doing this for years with no issue. Why would anyone object to such a practice? It's no wonder the public service have a bad name at times.

Popular Threads

Most Replies