If a doctor/nurse/union complains about trolleys the hospital manager should have right of reply.

asset test

Just thinking there (and that's dangerous!)

I've been listening on MSM to INMO, the consultants and what not all wringing their hands about the state of A and E at the moment, people on trolleys, the lack of beds, staff and resources.

I can totally understand their frustration. Probably borne out of years of the same thing. Year after year, January = trolleys and all the rest of it.

But what are HSE managers paid for? Should they be forward planning for this from August?

Is it just a kind of union/consultant posturing against the "clip boards" or what?

I would like to hear an honest evaluation from a bed manager/hospital manager in response on MSM some day soon. To counterpoint. Have they ever been invited to do so?

Maybe there have been such responses and I didn't hear them.

Last edited:

SeanieFitz

I've been listening to INMO, the consultants and what not all wringing their hands about the state of A and E at the moment, people on trolleys, the lack of beds, staff and resources.

I can totally understand their frustration. Probably borne out of years of the same thing. Year after year, January = trolleys and all the rest of it.

But what are HSE managers paid for? Should they be forward planning for this from August?

Is it just a kind of union/consultant posturing against the "clip boards" or what?

I would like to hear an honest evaluation from a bed manager/hospital manager in response.

Maybe there have been such responses and I didn't hear it.
I note that you have been a member of this site since 2008 and have almost 14,000 posts so it is fair to say that you are more than familiar with the reactions of members.

I cannot believe that there is any bed manger/hospital manager stupid enough to come on this site and be set up for vitriolic abuse and ridicule.

However I await with interest the reaction to your request

PBP voter

What qualifications should a hospital manager have?

The idea that a nurse can go and do a learn it all off by heart masters and end up managing a hospital is quite worrying.

We should be only letting Doctors go forward.

asset test

I note that you have been a member of this site since 2008 and have almost 14,000 posts so it is fair to say that you are more than familiar with the reactions of members.

I cannot believe that there is any bed manger/hospital manager stupid enough to come on this site and be set up for vitriolic abuse and ridicule.

However I await with interest the reaction to your request
Glad you are checking up on me! LOL

I should have said that I was talking about MSM. I might amend OP to reflect that.

4horsemen

What part of medical training would you think prepares someone to run a hospital? Willie Walsh shows us an airline pilot can be an excellent manager of an airline, Michael O'Leary shows us you don't have to be an airline pilot to be an excellent manager of an airline

nakatomi

I've been listening on MSM to INMO, the consultants and what not all wringing their hands about the state of A and E at the moment, people on trolleys, the lack of beds, staff and resources.

I would like to hear an honest evaluation from a bed manager/hospital manager in response on MSM some day soon. To counterpoint. Have they ever been invited to do so?

They had been aware of it and planning for it, HSE publishes Winter Initiative Plan for Winter 2016/2017 - HSE.ie
however there are not the resources for extra beds to be opened, and some "sanctioned" beds are closed because they cannot get nurses at all.

asset test

We have one of the highest number of nurses per 10,000 popultion in the OECD.

Restrictive practices are the root cause of the "shortage", courtesy Liam Doran and the INO.
I was reading somewhere that CNMs (nurse managers) and other non practising nurses are included in that number. Would that be right?

Spanner Island

I've given up expecting anything to improve in the HSE. It's not going to happen because health systems will consume as much cash as is ever thrown at them. There will never be enough funding and they will always be complaining.

And the HSE is a dog of a thing anyway... a monolith that has never come close to achieving the benefits that merging all of the health boards should have achieved.

And when you've a health minister who claims with a straight face that a flu outbreak couldn't be predicted in winter... well... come on lads and lassies... it's obvious this is just more of the same lamentable sh!te from the same lamentable gobsh!tes who are attracted to politics.

Harris should be f***ed out on his sorry arse for that proclamation.

Anyway... yeah... the health service...

Just hope and pray you don't have to avail of it because nothing is going to change.

PS - Thankfully the few encounters I've had with the health service in recent years have been fine... although thankfully I haven't had to endure the A&E shambles.

cricket

I think a good starting point would be to get figures re. the number of hospital beds in 2017 and the current population, as against the number of beds in, say, 2007 and the population then.

asset test

I think a good starting point would be to get figures re. the number of hospital beds in 2017 and the current population, as against the number of beds in, say, 2007 and the population then.
Where would anyone get those stats?

Something tells me all is not too bad really. Although we are told the opposite without too much backup as to other factors aswell. Such as GPs sending everyone to A and E now in fear of something awful happening. That is a big factor nowadays, as is lack of out of hours GP services aswell.

Where does anyone go in the middle of the night (or between 7pm and 10am in an emergency?)

I know patients are triaged, but it still takes up a lot of room, time and resources even leaving them in the waiting room for days.

I suspect they hope they will just go back to GP in the morning.

I know that has nothing to do with beds (admission) but it is a factor in A and E overcrowding just the same.

Spanner Island

...remembering of course that funding back then was on the back of an unsustainable property bubble... aka 'boom'...

People seem to want to go back to the money of the 'boom' days no problem... while totally forgetting it was a repugnant unsustainable charade of a thing.

spidermom

I was reading somewhere that CNMs (nurse managers) and other non practising nurses are included in that number. Would that be right?
Every 93 thousand nurses on the Nurse register are counted as part of the OECD figures. This is despite the fact there are only 31 thousand working in the HSE!
Sick of this being constantly spouted!

asset test

Every 93 thousand nurses on the Nurse register are counted as part of the OECD figures. This is despite the fact there are only 31 thousand working in the HSE!
Sick of this being constantly spouted!
Thought so.

I wonder if it is the same everywhere else they compare Ireland's nursing staff ratios to aswell. Don't know.

spidermom

Thought so.

I wonder if it is the same everywhere else they compare Ireland's nursing staff ratios to aswell. Don't know.

OECD report has always carried a caveate about how nurse numbers are calculated. This is for any country outside the "norm" of the count process. Irish figures always carry this caveate

ShoutingIsLeadership

...remembering of course that funding back then was on the back of an unsustainable property bubble... aka 'boom'...

People seem to want to go back to the money of the 'boom' days no problem... while totally forgetting it was a repugnant unsustainable charade of a thing.

We are taking in more tax now than we were then

asset test

Has any bed/hospital manager been interviewed on Msm that you can remember to defend themselves in this annual debacle?

I'm not talking about the head of the HSE or anything, just if a consultant in a certain hospital has a gripe, anyone heard of the manager of that hospital having a right of reply on the same program/interview?

Maybe they just sit in their bunkers and hope it will all go away or something.

But it always struck me that the same Union heads/consultants are out there in the media without any balance.

But then again, I may have missed all the hospital managers on MSM to date!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies