If and when a Hard Brexit rips up the GFA; Should Ireland re-adapt articles 2&3?

ruserious

It seems ever likely that the UK government propped up by the DUP seem intent on ensuring a hard border forms on our island. This will likely see the demise of the GFA and 20 years of hard fought peace.

In this eventuality, over a million Irish (&European) citizens will find themselves in a new cold house north of the border.

None of this will be the fault of the Irish State, however in the outcome of a ripped up GFA, should Ireland declare the North as sovereign territory once more? We gave up the claim to pursue a peaceful path to unification. Not to see the DUP and Tories pull a fast one and cement the North even closer to Britain by pulling out of the EU.

Ulpian

What the Republic should do is end citizenship rights for those with no connection to the Republic.

In the long-term the EU won't tolerate it, just as the EU has already raised issues re Romania making Romanian citizenship available to everyone in Moldova:
EUDO CITIZENSHIP

The truth is, most Nordies are massive pains - loud and bullying. I suffered attending university (in the Republic) in a class with 40% Nordies - they are not only stupid but insufferable also.

Leave them in the North, turn off the tap from the EU and UK, and tell them to sort themselves out rather than expecting everyone else to subsidise their dysfunctional society.

cricket

I'd prefer a return to Brehon law myself.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
It seems ever likely that the UK government propped up by the DUP seem intent on ensuring a hard border forms on our island. This will likely see the demise of the GFA and 20 years of hard fought peace.

In this eventuality, over a million Irish (&European) citizens will find themselves in a new cold house north of the border.

None of this will be the fault of the Irish State, however in the outcome of a ripped up GFA, should Ireland declare the North as sovereign territory once more? We gave up the claim to pursue a peaceful path to unification. Not to see the DUP and Tories pull a fast one and cement the North even closer to Britain by pulling out of the EU.
I don't think it's the way to go... we should rise above it. In the longer run, is it not more beneficial for us to say we gave up the claim for the GFA. Implement the GFA ...

Tribal

Even if the Tories and the DUP pull out of the GFA the EU will still recognise the right of NI denizens to choose their nationality.

It would be far better to preserve our end of the deal so we can via the EU impose economic sanctions on the UK should they target EU citizens. It's been said many times already that with us in the EU having the leverage, EU citizens resident in the UK will have more rights than UK citizens.

darkhorse

We should never have given up our claims to the six counties anyway
It was a second betrayal of the Irish people living there

Ulpian

They're not Irish. They're Northern Irish or British. They have about as much in common with people in the Republic as North Koreans do with South Koreans. Northern Ireland a parasitic and grievance-ridden society. If we could kick it off into the Atlantic we would be better off.

mac tíre

They're not Irish. They're Northern Irish or British. They have about as much in common with people in the Republic as North Koreans do with South Koreans. Northern Ireland a parasitic and grievance-ridden society. If we could kick it off into the Atlantic we would be better off.
:lol:

darkhorse

Dont be ridiculous
The Irish of the six counties of Ulster are as Irish as the six counties of Munster

Ulpian

Dont be ridiculous
The Irish of the six counties of Ulster are as Irish as the six counties of Munster
I appreciate that reality-based posting here is a novelty, but I note that according to the 2011 census only 25% of people in Northern Ireland described themselves as "Irish".

So 75% of people in Northern Ireland do not regard themselves as "Irish", why the hell should anyone else?

darkhorse

I appreciate that reality-based posting here is a novelty, but I note that according to the 2011 census only 25% of people in Northern Ireland described themselves as "Irish".

So 75% of people in Northern Ireland do not regard themselves as "Irish", why the hell should anyone else?
In your makey-up dream world maybe
Lies in the real world

GDPR

Can they unilaterally tear up the GFA? I thought it was a binding international agreement with both the EU and the UN involved. Correct me if I am wrong

Tribal

Well a substantial majority turned out to vote in NI for the GFA, how would it have looked if we didn't vote to allow parity of esteem?

Ulpian

Can they unilaterally tear up the GFA? I thought it was a binding international agreement with both the EU and the UN involved. Correct me if I am wrong
One really sees now how useless the Irish negotiators were on the GFA. There should have been a provision saying that Northern Ireland would remain part of the EU so long as the Republic of Ireland remained. In 1998 UKIP was already in existence and running in elections.

JCR

I really can't imagine how that would solve anything. I can easily imagine it causing a whole lot of animosity at the very least, at worst it could feed the trolls eager for violence again.

The real and tangible problem with hard Brexit is trade and co-operation weakening between Ireland and the wider UK. The reality is also that the north is disputed territory from a nationalistic point of view. Given the recent past it would be prudent and wise to keep those articles in the trash where they belong.

darkhorse

Well a substantial majority turned out to vote in NI for the GFA, how would it have looked if we didn't vote to allow parity of esteem?
Articles 2 & 3 were never a threat to anyone in the six counties
The demand to have them removed was artificially dreamed up by self-hating Irish Unionists to humiliate the Irish and their recognition of the Irishness of the native population of that part of Ireland.

New Threads

Most Replies