• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

If Bruton had won the FG leadership contest in 2002?

RahenyFG

Just wondering how different Fine Gael's fortunes would be if Richard Bruton had won the leadership contest in 2002 and not Enda Kenny. Maybe FG would have got into government in the 2007 election and if not then maybe with the huge unpopularity of the current government and Fianna Fail in particular could FG be substantially higher in opinion polls?

Rocket Man

Its an interesting question alright.
But I think you ignore the very significant job that Kenny did in resurrecting FG after the disaster that was 2002.
I'm not sure that Bruton would have managed to do the same thing.

Iarmhi Gael

If Fine Gael were in Government after 2007 - There would be no FG party now.

Eveything would have been blamed on FG, FF would have blamed everything on FG from Lehman brothers, Anglo, Catholic Church, Chilean Miners, Disallowed Louth Goal -everything.

There would be no party - Full stop

jmayo

Its an interesting question alright.
But I think you ignore the very significant job that Kenny did in resurrecting FG after the disaster that was 2002.
I'm not sure that Bruton would have managed to do the same thing.
Bruton would not have resurected the party, because he probably would not have fancied dragging his ar** around the country for a couple of years.
Also from anything I have heard he is not as appealing as Kenny in close encounters.
The 2004 election results would not been good and Bruton would probably have been knifed.
End of story.

jmayo

If Fine Gael were in Government after 2007 - There would be no FG party now.

Eveything would have been blamed on FG, FF would have blamed everything on FG from Lehman brothers, Anglo, Catholic Church, Chilean Miners, Disallowed Louth Goal -everything.

There would be no party - Full stop
Not alone that the ff habit of sticking together come what may doesn't seem to exist in FG and they would have started slitting each others throats.
Of course Labour would have walked out of government as Gilmore would have been knocking Rabitte over as he climbed onto the fence.
After government fell they would have knived Kenny, probably put Bruton in and then subsequently done him at first bad opinion poll or when ff won overall majority in subsequent election.

Tomas Mor

I think Richard Bruton in 2002 would have been more of the continuation of big brother John, Noonan etc. Remember Kenny made FG largest party in 2004 EU elections and had huge gains in locals, all this at the height of de Bertie illusion. He came within a whisker of winning 2007 election, lucky for him he did not. Everything would be blamed on him, destroying the good country FF handed over to him- and de men with de money & bankers took fright/flight.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies