If Gaza is wrong, so is Aleppo ... but Where is the Outrage?

owedtojoy

Staffan di Mistura, the UN representative says it is "another Srebenica, another Rwanda", incessant bombardment by Russian and Syrian planes of a city full of people is killing civilians, women and children for the reason that there are "terrorists" among them.

Excuse me? Isn't that the justification Israel gives for its bombardments of Gaza which (rightly) provoke anger and condemnation?

In Aleppo, bunker-busting bombs are being dropped on civilian targets, including hospitals, deliberately to destroy any infrastructure that might offer come comfort and relief. Last month a relief convoy for Aleppo was bombed from the air.

Where is the anger and condemnation of Syria and Russia? Even if Aleppo is captured it will be a battered ruin, and 30% of the country will still be in rebel hands, territory the Assad regime will not be able to re-capture without major slaughter. The suspicion here is that the intent is genocidal and punitive, not a case of military necessity.

But where is the Irish voice of outrage? Is the country not ready to send a message to Russia and Syria that bombing of civilians must stop?

Yes, I know both Russia and the Assad regime have their supporters, but surely this targeting of Aleppo goes beyond what is appropriate action to bring peace to Syria?

The Irish Anti-War Movement have called a protest meeting on October 19th at 5:30pm outside Dail Eireann.

Mister men

The solution is very simple: the US and friends call off their Wahhabist dogs and give up on the regime change. Then the killing will stop and Syria and her people can rebuild.
That's it in a nutshell. Not rocket science really.

Hewson

Like Warsaw, Stalingrad and Sarajevo, Aleppo is one of those regular reminders to the human species that, despite its technological progress, it's still many centuries away from anything approaching maturity as an intelligent lifeform.

owedtojoy

The solution is very simple: the US and friends call off their Wahhabist dogs and give up on the regime change. Then the killing will stop and Syria and her people can rebuild.
Sounds like you are an Israeli supporter then, because that is exactly what they say about Hamas whenever they bomb Gaza.

YOu cannot condemn Gaza and justify Aleppo.

But you are welcome to try.

mossyman

One of them made global headlines, while the other was ignored

The MSM does not cover civilians being murdered by shelling in Western Aleppo by Western backed Jihadi terrorist savages.

Karloff

Aleppo is a part of Syria and as such when terrorists such as the Al Nusra in Aleppo take over a part of the country the recognised Syrian Govt is actually 'obliged' to act. 16 Years ago when the US was pretending it was going to wage a war on jihad it would have bombed a country for NOT ACTING if that country tolerated thousands of Islamist terrorists like Al Nusra.

Gaza on the other hand is not a part of Israel, Israel's attacks on Gaza can be compared to acts of aggression perpetrated by one state against people outside of that state.

Where were the Western media when NATO was bombing the crap out of Libyan cities so Islamozionist terror groups could take the country? Cheering it on, that's what.

owedtojoy

I read there are maybe a few thousand terrorists in Aleppo .....

What ratio of civilians to terrorists do you consider acceptable, one to one, or two to one, or 10 to 1?

It also seems clear that the Syrians destroying their largest city in order to save it is grotesque. This war is unwinnable by Assad, unless he uses genocide (would not put it past him), so a confederal Syria is probably the only solution that will bring peace.

mossyman

Sounds like you are an Israeli supporter then, because that is exactly what they say about Hamas whenever they bomb Gaza.

YOu cannot condemn Gaza and justify Aleppo.

But you are welcome to try.
Do they say that in Israel when Hamas attacks, i.e. that "the US and friends call off their Wahhabist dogs and give up on the regime change".

Also the Syrian civil war and Israeli/Palestine conflict are not remotely comparable. One is a civil war and global proxy war, the other is essentially a conflict about land.

Socratus O' Pericles

You are pro- ISIL then?

owedtojoy

One of them made global headlines, while the other was ignored

The MSM does not cover civilians being murdered by shelling in Western Aleppo by Western backed Jihadi terrorist savages.
That makes murdering the family of the kid in the top photo ok? AFAIK, he was the only survivor of a family.

Your conscience just rolls over nicely for you, doesn't it?

Whattaboutery is the universal washing powder ... all your sins and your sense of what is moral gets washed away.

mossyman

I read there are maybe a few thousand terrorists in Aleppo .....

What ratio of civilians to terrorists do you consider acceptable, one to one, or two to one, or 10 to 1?

It also seems clear that the Syrians destroying their largest city in order to save it is grotesque. This war is unwinnable by Assad, unless he uses genocide (would not put it past him), so a confederal Syria is probably the only solution that will bring peace.
Assad has popular support. He will not need to resort to any genocide.

owedtojoy

Do they say that in Israel when Hamas attacks, i.e. that "the US and friends call off their Wahhabist dogs and give up on the regime change".

Also the Syrian civil war and Israeli/Palestine conflict are not remotely comparable. One is a civil war and global proxy war, the other is essentially a conflict about land.
That is not my point.

Gaza is a bombarded city, so is Aleppo.

If Gaza should not be bombarded, then Aleppo should not be either.

mossyman

That makes murdering the family of the kid in the top photo ok? AFAIK, he was the only survivor of a family.

Your conscience just rolls over nicely for you, doesn't it?

Whattaboutery is the universal washing powder ... all your sins and your sense of what is moral gets washed away.
Now where did I say that? Are you incapable of debating without strawman arguments?

If you want to know my opinion, if its a choice between Assad and the Russians on the one hand and the assortment of head hacking jihadi terrorist savages on the other, then I think Assad and the Russians are the lesser of two evils.

The best outcome now would be a stable secular Syria. Assad and the Russians offer the best hope of that. If the "rebels" win, Syria will be torn apart.

Karloff

How quickly the US went from waging a war on terror to revealing their true face. A nation hell bent on toppling secular govts that oppose Islamozionist terrorism, a nation hell bent on harnessing jihad.

Yet even that is only their face today, tomorrow they might declare a war on Sunni Jihad again! You literally never know what the Yanks will do next - except that it cause suffering for a great number of people - it will probably involve a peaceful country being plunged into war and it will be good for Israel!

Never ever say 'The US stands for this' - because that is wrong unless 'this' is Israel or Wall Street.

owedtojoy

Of course not. ISIS can be dispatched by the Syria and Russian armies once they're not having to contend with the West's proxy terrorists.
Assad and Russia are doing a pretty good job of proxy terrorism themselves, just like the Israelis do in Gaza.

mossyman

owedtojoy

Now where did I say that? Are you incapable of debating without strawman arguments?

If you want to know my opinion, if its a choice between Assad and the Russians on the one hand and the assortment of head hacking jihadi terrorist savages on the other, then I think Assad and the Russians are the lesser of two evils.

The best outcome now would be a stable secular Syria. Assad and the Russians offer the best hope of that. If the "rebels" win, Syria will be torn apart.
My choice is a peace agreement with victory for no side, one that establishes a federal Syria. Let Assad be figurehead President if he wants to be.

But it is clear Syria will never re-unite under his autocratic rule, like pre-war. That is a pipe dream that will kill maybe a million or so more unless he is persuaded to stop.

owedtojoy

Yes I agree with you there. But the situation is quite complex. Assad's popularity has actually grown since the war as people see him as the best hope for Syria.
Sorry, I reject any pretence that you somehow have insider knowledge of the state of hwat Syrians think.

If Assad was so popular, there would have been no revolt against him. He was always a torturer, autocrat and plunderer like his father, and pulled down the house on his own head.

mossyman

That is not my point.

Gaza is a bombarded city, so is Aleppo.

If Gaza should not be bombarded, then Aleppo should not be either.
Yes it should. The terrorists in Aleppo should be crushed because they do not represent the Syrian people. They have been helped with training, arms and funding from the Gulf States and Western States as part of a deliberate regime change strategy. You may remember Hamas won a free election in 2006.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies