If the BBC wishes to respect British symbols why does it not equally respect Nationalist ones?

McSlaggart

Calling the show, Mark From Belfast asked: "Stephen, does... the BBC have someone neutral to hold this discussion?"

The caller then asked if presenter Nolan was wearing a poppy, and he confirmed he was.

"I just don’t understand how you can have an independent view on it," Mark said.

Defending his impartiality, Nolan said: "Well whatever my view is or isn’t, you don’t think I can host a debate? You think that every broadcaster who hosts a debate doesn’t have a personal view? Of course they do but they leave the personal view at home."

Responding to this, the caller said: "They do but they don’t wear it on their lapel.

"http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/caller-asks-how-can-bbcs-nolan-be-independent-wearing-poppy-during-poppy-debate-36281106.html

Should Nolan etc not wear the Lily at Easter?

"The Easter Lily (Irish: Lile na Cásca) is a badge in the shape of a calla lily flower, worn at Easter by Irish republicans as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising."

Wikipedia

PBP voter

Get yourself a free to air satellite dish.

Set it up to watch Germany,French,Italian etc channels.

Only Brits watch the BBC.

It makes "nationalists" look idiotic to be so obsessed with British TV channels.

Niall996

Netflix is your man!

mac tíre

It makes "nationalists" look idiotic to be so obsessed with British TV channels.
Really? Do you ever get anything on here right?

Anyway, I pay some of my hard earned money towards them. So I would have a right to complain if it appears one sided.

In saying that, and despite the BBC going overboard with poppies sometimes, personally I couldn't give a fúck about them wearing a poppy or not. And while I would like to see some of the local presenters wear an Easter Lily, I don't care if they don't.

To show respect to all I suggest the BBC drop 'The Blame Game' programme - a show so unfunny that it makes Mrs Brown's Boys a barrel of laughs.

Se0samh

Really? Do you ever get anything on here right?

Anyway, I pay some of my hard earned money towards them. So I would have a right to complain if it appears one sided.

In saying that, and despite the BBC going overboard with poppies sometimes, personally I couldn't give a fúck about them wearing a poppy or not. And while I would like to see some of the local presenters wear an Easter Lily, I don't care if they don't.

To show respect to all I suggest the BBC drop 'The Blame Game' programme - a show so unfunny that it makes Mrs Brown's Boys a barrel of laughs.

As I wouldn't buy or wear a poppy myself, I object to funding others to do so; if they want to wear poppies let them buy them themselves...

RasherHash

Calling the show, Mark From Belfast asked: "Stephen, does... the BBC have someone neutral to hold this discussion?"

The caller then asked if presenter Nolan was wearing a poppy, and he confirmed he was.

"I just don’t understand how you can have an independent view on it," Mark said.

Defending his impartiality, Nolan said: "Well whatever my view is or isn’t, you don’t think I can host a debate? You think that every broadcaster who hosts a debate doesn’t have a personal view? Of course they do but they leave the personal view at home."

Responding to this, the caller said: "They do but they don’t wear it on their lapel.

"http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/caller-asks-how-can-bbcs-nolan-be-independent-wearing-poppy-during-poppy-debate-36281106.html

"The Easter Lily (Irish: Lile na Cásca) is a badge in the shape of a calla lily flower, worn at Easter by Irish republicans as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising."

Wikipedia
Very good point.

Establishment figures like this never acknowledge the beam in their own eye when they are giving out the pay because traditionally they are never brought face to face with their own rank hypocrisy.

In order to achieve equality going forward, parity of esteem demands that presenters like this will have to wear the Easter Lily.

blokesbloke

Clearly not.

vivabrigada

Very good point.

Establishment figures like this never acknowledge the beam in their own eye when they are giving out the pay because traditionally they are never brought face to face with their own rank hypocrisy.

In order to achieve equality going forward, parity of esteem demands that presenters like this will have to wear the Easter Lily.
Good point indeed but it would lead to a thread on here entitled "Protesters storm BBC".

FOURGREENFIELDS

The BBC being the BBC, is inherently British and so it will reflect British symbols per se and I have no problem with that. BBC NI however is rabidly Unionist and I DO have a problem with that. MOST of the BBC NI news and current affairs journalists are from the Unionist community and their TV and Radio programmes reflect that in a big way. The entire tone of their news coverage is very, very one sided with a constant Unionist agenda and tone and the Poppy is just one example of this. Most of their journalists wear it weeks in advance of Remembrance Sunday while a wee tiny sprig of Shamrock MAY get an airing for an hour or two on St. Patrick's Day.
BBC NI also broadcast live coverage of the Twelfth EVERY year and that is shameful. THE most sectarian, bigoted, hate filled exhibition of badness and intolerance gets beamed out WITHOUT shame by the BBC annually on BBC NI as Catholics and minority communities bear the brunt from their xenophobic display of hatred, sectarianism, racism and cancer causing toxic substances burnt on their medieval pyres (with tyres) from the night before. The irony of a BBC presenter proudly wearing a Poppy weeks before Remembrance Sunday while chairing a discussion on it just about sums up BBC NI.

O'Sullivan Bere

Wikipedia
'Mark from Belfast' was on Talkback too where he actually tried to derail another topic under discussion on repatriating ISIS fighters. Took him as a wind up merchant TBF, declaring the UK and US equivalent to ISIS and other radical chic stuff and injecting the same poppy question into it from his Nolan show call.

It's impossible to have any kind of show host that's personally 'neutral' on all issues because people have POVs on topics...listeners, callers, hosts, BBC backroom and board crews, etc. If anything from listening to Nolan and other hosts, they like lightning rod topics and guests to stir the pot and ratings. At least from my experiences (and biases noted or not), Nolan and Crawley moderate them fairly under the circumstances.

FOURGREENFIELDS

'Mark from Belfast' was on Talkback too where he actually tried to derail another topic under discussion on repatriating ISIS fighters. Took him as a wind up merchant TBF, declaring the UK and US equivalent to ISIS and other radical chic stuff and injecting the same poppy question into it from his Nolan show call.

It's impossible to have any kind of show host that's personally 'neutral' on all issues because people have POVs on topics...listeners, callers, hosts, BBC backroom and board crews, etc. If anything from listening to Nolan and other hosts, they like lightning rod topics and guests to stir the pot and ratings. At least from my experiences (and biases noted or not), Nolan and Crawley moderate them fairly under the circumstances.
Really? Jamie Bryson and Jim Wilson are regulars on those two shows, go to Loyalist 'community workers and sources'??? Denis Bradley was 100% correct about phone in shows in the North, he more or less said they were dumb down bastion for the fleggers and ne'erdowells of Unionism and Loyalism. Horse manure for RE PEEPLE.

O'Sullivan Bere

Really? Jamie Bryson and Jim Wilson are regulars on those two shows, go to Loyalist 'community workers and sources'??? Denis Bradley was 100% correct about phone in shows in the North, he more or less said they were dumb down bastion for the fleggers and ne'erdowells of Unionism and Loyalism. Horse manure for RE PEEPLE.
Bryson's there as well as Wilson for the ratings IMO. It blows up the phone lines and keeps people tuned in because they're lightning rods. Hell, wee Jamie is the Kim Kardashian of loyalist lightning rods because what the hell has he really done to get that dubious status except shove and self-promote himself into the scenes, a 'vanity loyalist' making a career of it for an otherwise ne'er-do-well.

Follow the money...

If BBC Ulster were after a PUL promotional agenda, then they'd bring in more palatable guests other than loyalist lightning rods. It's not good for unionism but great for the bottom line.

Viewing the other abortion thread, here's another classic of that...note on abortion and other topics like LGBT rights, women's rights, etc, they always seem to clear the way for Susan White. You couldn't find a more throwback, brow beating, toxic, offensive, authoritarian, stone cold Bible thumping Creeping Jesus character than her.

Whew...those other guests and phone callers went nuclear with heads exploding when she appeared with her attitude and remarks...and the BBC damn well knows it as ratings bait. You couldn't find a worse advocate for an anti-abortion POV as she's the worst stereotype of it, but she's gold for ratings.

Look how it went straight to print too for more attention drawn to her on that programme with Twitter explosions:
BBC defiant at giving voice to anti-abortion activist on Nolan - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Check that episode out on podcast too whilst it's still there...it's ratings galore with her there.

Last edited:

Glaucon

The British Broadcasting Corporation is British (obviously) so of course most of its presenters will wear poppies. There's no problem with that. The problem comes about when other people working there, who do not want to wear the poppy, feel pressured to do so.

Lonewolfe

Wikipedia
Poppy pressure must be awful for anyone who appears on British television.

collina

Poppy pressure must be awful for anyone who appears on British television.
The poppy business is bizarre anyway. Many soldiers were treated like canon-fodder during the fighting. Survivors weren't looked after when they came home and their wives and families weren't paid while they were away fighting.

Are the WWI men who were shot at dawn, many of whom were suffering badly from shell-shock of previous battles, are they represented by the poppies? Does Jim Allister wear a poppy for the gay soldiers? You know the ones who Jim apposed pardons for crime of two men engaged in a relationship?

McSlaggart

They could just as easily stop wearing any symbols in "Northern Ireland".

McSlaggart

The problem is that most people now are scared to raise the Issue of the poppy because its now taken as beyond reproach. Any objections are crushed under the weight of the wheel chair troops coming back from some pointless war in a far away land.

Glenshane4

The BBC being the BBC, is inherently British and so it will reflect British symbols per se and I have no problem with that. BBC NI however is rabidly Unionist and I DO have a problem with that. MOST of the BBC NI news and current affairs journalists are from the Unionist community and their TV and Radio programmes reflect that in a big way. The entire tone of their news coverage is very, very one sided with a constant Unionist agenda and tone and the Poppy is just one example of this. Most of their journalists wear it weeks in advance of Remembrance Sunday while a wee tiny sprig of Shamrock MAY get an airing for an hour or two on St. Patrick's Day.
BBC NI also broadcast live coverage of the Twelfth EVERY year and that is shameful. THE most sectarian, bigoted, hate filled exhibition of badness and intolerance gets beamed out WITHOUT shame by the BBC annually on BBC NI as Catholics and minority communities bear the brunt from their xenophobic display of hatred, sectarianism, racism and cancer causing toxic substances burnt on their medieval pyres (with tyres) from the night before. The irony of a BBC presenter proudly wearing a Poppy weeks before Remembrance Sunday while chairing a discussion on it just about sums up BBC NI.
When the BBC Northern Ireland radio service was introduced in the 1930s, it refused to broadcast the results of GAA matches.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies