• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

If the unionist parties merge/run agreed candidates, what will SF and the SDLP do ??

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Watching the Spotlight program about Mike Nesbitt, it may well evolve into a merge or agreed candidates between all the main unionist parties ( DUP, UUP, TUV). If such a circumstance came about, surely that would force SDF and SDLP to co operate ? In analyzing this, it should be kept in mind that their is only 2 seats in the present Stormont in the difference between the unionist bloc and the nationalist one.

Dame_Enda

The SDLP has always rejected pacts with SF. In 2010 a Unionist-pact candidate won Fermanagh-South Tyrone on the first count but lost on the subsequent recounts but it was single digits as far as I know.

Last edited:

Just Jack

The SDLP has always rejected pacts with SF. In 2005 a Unionist-pact candidate won Fermanagh-South Tyrone on the first count but lost on the subsequent recounts but it was single digits as far as I know.
2010 you mean?

Michelle Gildernew beat Rodney Conor by 4 Fenian votes.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
The SDLP has always rejected pacts with SF. In 2005 a Unionist-pact candidate won Fermanagh-South Tyrone on the first count but lost on the subsequent recounts but it was single digits as far as I know.
Yes I see your point, there's always been greater hostility to nationalist co operation by the SDLP to SF than between the unionists. The SDLP have the odd time stood aside, for example when Bobby Sands stood for Fermanagh/South Tyrone (because they were fearful of the voters backlash to the SDLP if the had stood against him, not because they had any sympathy for the Republican movement). But surely the SDLP and SF will see the real politic of the situation if there is greater co operation between the main unionist parties ?

BTW, maybe I should qualify the position of the TUV as they may be more cooler to a merge/co operation than the UUP ?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
2010 you mean?

Michelle Gildernew beat Rodney Conor by 4 Fenian votes.
Yes and an enraged Tom Elliot ranted about the "scum of Sinn Fein"

IrishWelshCelt

Watching the Spotlight program about Mike Nesbitt, it may well evolve into a merge or agreed candidates between all the main unionist parties ( DUP, UUP, TUV). If such a circumstance came about, surely that would force SDF and SDLP to co operate ? In analyzing this, it should be kept in mind that their is only 2 seats in the present Stormont in the difference between the unionist bloc and the nationalist one.
I heard that last night but I dont understand, checking the wiki page you get:

DUP (38) (U)
Sinn Féin (29) (N)
SDLP (14) (N)
UUP (13) (U)

Do unionists not outnumber by 8?

IrishWelshCelt

Its a sign of desperation that they've to run agreed candidates, oh how the mighty have fallen.

Gnobe

John and Basil's party will eat up some unionist votes. Probably enough so that nationalists will retain FST and SB in 2015.

I've got a funny feeling SF wont stand again in SB either, helping McDonnell.

InsideImDancing

I heard that last night but I dont understand, checking the wiki page you get:

DUP (38) (U)
Sinn Féin (29) (N)
SDLP (14) (N)
UUP (13) (U)

Do unionists not outnumber by 8?
Six seats is nothing ffs! :)

shantykelly

hopefully they won't follow suit and resort to sectarian head counts. pity that mainstream unionism is considering this, don't think this will help Robinson's attempt to seduce middle class catholics to the dark side.

InsideImDancing

John and Basil's party will eat up some unionist votes. Probably enough so that nationalists will retain FST and SB in 2015.

I've got a funny feeling SF wont stand again in SB either, helping McDonnell.
I reckon the Unionist vote will polarise given the fleg-beck-craic.:) They could easily take FST, probably for the last time, but it hardly matters in the long-run. I reckon the flag craic will give Unionism a bit of a bunch for a year or two, and then when things settle down more might turn towards 'Basil's Northern Ireland party', alliance etc.

between the bridges

I reckon the Unionist vote will polarise given the fleg-beck-craic.:) They could easily take FST, probably for the last time, but it hardly matters in the long-run. I reckon the flag craic will give Unionism a bit of a bunch for a year or two, and then when things settle down more might turn towards 'Basil's Northern Ireland party', alliance etc.
Imho think unionist unity is Robo's way of finishing off the UUP, and mikey boy will get to be an MP, if the UUP is assimilated the 'new' unionist party may fill some of the void...

InsideImDancing

Imho think unionist unity is Robo's way of finishing off the UUP, and mikey boy will get to be an MP, if the UUP is assimilated the 'new' unionist party may fill some of the void...
That's not a bad theory, tbf. It will help them at elections in the short-term though.

IrishWelshCelt

There is also:

TUV 1
UKIP 1
Independent 3.
Yes but they're in opposition so do they count in terms of FM/DFM?

Until watching Spotlight I was under the impression that the biggest party got FM but its actually biggest part from biggest block so will a new unionist party make that big a difference if they're just taking unionist votes?

InsideImDancing

Unionists have about 47% of the vote overall,
and about 51% of the seats.

Nationalist have about 39% of the seats and
41% of the vote.

If that balances out over time, added to demographics, I'd say Nationalists are due to pick up a few seats soon enough.