If there's an election before Xmas, who's to blame?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Alison O'Connor on Drivetime has just said that blame is going to be a big factor in the election that might happen between now and Christmas. Nobody wants an election and everybody's aware of the need for stable leadership at this stage of the Brexit negotiations.

My question is: who's to blame?

My own guess is that it'll be the crowd that suddenly and entirely off their own bat tabled the motion of no-confidence in Frances Fitzgerald, thus issuing an ultimatum to the Government, and everyone knows that if you're issuing an ultimatum it's not because you want peace.

I think that Fianna Fáil could ship substantial damage over the course of the election campaign, as Fine Gael rubs this message in.

Of course, the election is likely to be very bad for the smaller parties, including Labour.

And what happens to Sinn Féin will probably be no more than minimal, though it'll be interesting to see what having Mary Lou might do to their support.

The main picture, though, will be the battle of who will become the largest party after the election. I think that it will largely depend on whether the electorate blame Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil for precipitating the election.

And, as I say, I think Fine Gael will be in a stronger position to point the accusing finger at Fianna Fáil than vice versa.

What do other posters think?

ruserious

Michéal Martin.

He is afraid Leo will achieve the republic he wants to talk to the world about.

Morgellons

The FDP?

jmcc

Waiting for the moronic churnalists in RTE/Irish Times etc to blame "The Russians" and Donald Trump.

redhead

Peter McVerry, Muslims, Libloons, Hollywood, Feminists, Dev, Shergar, take your pick...

Mushroom

I blame the fools on the GS interview board who failed to select Maurice McCabe for promotion all those years ago.

Oh and Alan Kelly!

talkingshop

Alison O'Connor on Drivetime has just said that blame is going to be a big factor in the election that might happen between now and Christmas. Nobody wants an election and everybody's aware of the need for stable leadership at this stage of the Brexit negotiations.

My question is: who's to blame?

My own guess is that it'll be the crowd that suddenly and entirely off their own bat tabled the motion of no-confidence in Frances Fitzgerald, thus issuing an ultimatum to the Government, and everyone knows that if you're issuing an ultimatum it's not because you want peace.

I think that Fianna Fáil could ship substantial damage over the course of the election campaign, as Fine Gael rubs this message in.

Of course, the election is likely to be very bad for the smaller parties, including Labour.

And what happens to Sinn Féin will probably be no more than minimal, though it'll be interesting to see what having Mary Lou might do to their support.

The main picture, though, will be the battle of who will become the largest party after the election. I think that it will largely depend on whether the electorate blame Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil for precipitating the election.

And, as I say, I think Fine Gael will be in a stronger position to point the accusing finger at Fianna Fáil than vice versa.

What do other posters think?
Fianna Fáil.

Edit - FF could have abstained on the MNC I think, all they had to do is not support it.

D

Deleted member 48908

Alan Kelly. It was his persistence that led to the discovery Fitzgerald's faux pas.

A faux pas that should've resulted in her tendering her resignation or in her being sacked.

It appears that Leo is too weak a leader to do what must be done, preferring instead to stand by his woman.

Leo's inexperience and lack of leadership left Mícheál Martin with no choice but to bring a motion of no confidence.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Alan Kelly. It was his persistence that led to the discovery Fitzgerald's faux pas.

A faux pas that should've resulted in her tendering her resignation or in her being sacked.

It appears that Leo is too weak a leader to do what must be done, preferring instead to stand by his woman.

Leo's inexperience and lack of leadership left Mícheál Martin with no choice but to bring a motion of no confidence.
That'll be the Fianna Fáil argument, more or less. I wonder will it stick with the electorate. As I say, I doubt it.

johnnypockets

It will be FG's fault. Fitzgerald's position is untenable. FG need to sort their house and won't.

D

Deleted member 48908

That'll be the Fianna Fáil argument, more or less. I wonder will it stick with the electorate. As I say, I doubt it.
I'm pretty sure that parts of it'll be everyone's election play.

talkingshop

Jaysus - forget about an email and you've got to resign or be sacked?

Hewson

If a Justice Minister fails to stem collusion among the state's security apparatus to discredit a man doing his constitutional duty of care to that state's citizens, having had advance notice of such collusion, then his/her position is untenable.

In short, Fitzgerald needs to resign (preferably) or be sacked.

In a mature democracy this would have already happened.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies