• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"If they can pay for SkyTV, then they can pay Property Tax" - M Noonan

SPN

Noonan: If they can pay for Sky TV, they can pay my property tax - National News - Independent.ie

As someone who is totally opposed to the property tax on the principal private residence, I do think that Noonan is making a very valid point.

Maybe if they converted it into a stupidity tax, and levied it on people who were stupid enough to a) support Fianna Fail, b) support Amateur-Fianna Fail, c) give their hard earned to Rupert Murdoch, then I might just change my opinion of it.

But for now it remains an unfair tax, based on what someone else is able to borrow to buy a neighbouring property, and should be scrapped.

dresden8

Noonan: If they can pay for Sky TV, they can pay my property tax - National News - Independent.ie

As someone who is totally opposed to the property tax on the principal private residence, I do think that Noonan is making a very valid point.

Maybe if they converted it into a stupidity tax, and levied it on people who were stupid enough to a) support Fianna Fail, b) support Amateur-Fianna Fail, c) give their hard earned to Rupert Murdoch, then I might just change my opinion of it.

But for now it remains an unfair tax, based on what someone else is able to borrow to buy a neighbouring property, and should be scrapped.
Er, SPN, you green goons were in government with FF. You don't get more supportive than that.

When can revenue expect your cheque for €64 billion?

SPN

We tried very hard to get Enda Kenny to talk to Sinn Fein about an ABFF coalition, but Enda Kenny wouldn't go for it.

We flagged up the problem with the banks years before we went into government, but we were laughed at by the other political parties who were doing the rezonings that provided the collateral for the crazy bank lending bubble.

There's only so much we can do when the electorate keep voting for gobshytes.

cabledude

Mr. Noonan has a point. If I had to make a choice between going up against Revenue or waving goodbye to Sky, all I can say is, bye bye Sky.

slippy wicket

Shame the other thread got fubared, but I wound tend to agree with Min. for Finance.
We pay upwards of 1200 per year to sky, and while there is a difference between discretionary and tax payments IMO its right and proper for anyone who can pay it to pay it

Fr.Ted Crilly

The question should be asked of noonan, 'if they can't afford to pay for sky tv, can they afford to pay a property tax?'

SPN

Shame the other thread got fubared, but I wound tend to agree with Min. for Finance.
We pay upwards of 1200 per year to sky, and while there is a difference between discretionary and tax payments IMO its right and proper for anyone who can pay it to pay it
Why would any sane person give that amount of money to Rupert Murdoch & Co?

cabledude

Why would any sane person give that amount of money to Rupert Murdoch & Co?
Now theres a question. A person I work with has the full package, sports, movies, the lot. Along with this he has 2 multi-room packages. So €65 + 2*€15. €95 per month. Crazy stuff.

R3volution_R3ady

Has anyone even considered the fact that when you pay for Sky you receive a service as opposed to having money that you earned taken from you whether you like it or not?

I don't have SkyTv, but if I did I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of it for Mr. Noonan. LOL, what an idiot.

josepy

the idea is......to get people who work and pay tax, to not have sky......while at the same time paying for those who do not work to have it.....

yes, the politics of an equal society.....

SPN

Has anyone even considered the fact that when you pay for Sky you receive a service as opposed to having money that you earned taken from you whether you like it or not?

I don't have SkyTv, but if I did I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of it for Mr. Noonan. LOL, what an idiot.
I think Mr Noonan's point is that if you have so much spare cash that you can afford to pi$$ it away on something like Sky Tv, then you have no right to play the poor mouth when it comes to the property tax.

(of course Mr Noonan, like many commentators, avoids dealing with the real reason why a property tax on the principal private residence is injust and unfair - but then he would.)

L'Chaim

No he is not making a valid point. In fact he is making a very stupid point. In his position, a man such as Noonan, cannot imagine poverty. Well off people do make the mistake of thinking that poor people should go without television, newspapers, cigarettes etc. if they cannot afford them and then thinking that if they can afford them they must not be poor in the first place.

For a start first world poverty is different to third world poverty. Third world poverty relates to survival of life, to the basic task of getting food and water. First world poverty is something entirely different. The concept of 'the poor man who has little but hankers for more' applies here. It is not unreasonable that people want somewhere to live and to have the power to go to the cinema, a restaurant, send their kids to school, have a cigarette or even watch television, all of which entitles them to full membership of the community and having a voice and status in the community they live in. Without these things one is less than half a citizen and is sidelined. The person who cannot afford a TV or a newspaper is not only barred from life in the community, but he is also barred from knowing what is happening in it. So for Minister Noonan to make such a stupid comment just shows how detached from reality he is.

Poverty in Ireland is not an accident or a result of a natural disaster, it's man made. People here don't choose poverty. They are in poverty because of decisions made on their behalf by the governments who represent them. And for a minister of the state, whose job is to represent the people, to make such a crass comment that 'if they can pay for Sky TV they can pay the property tax', just begs the question - Just what people is he representing? He's certainly not representing the poor in Ireland.

I will be very interested to see how his Labour Party colleagues in Government respond to those comments by the Minister. If they are worth anything and if they stick to the ethos of the Labour Party then they should strongly oppose what the Minister said and let him know that the labour Party does not support such thinking

kerdasi amaq

I don't have Sky TV. Does that mean that I'm exempt from the property tax?

R3volution_R3ady

I think Mr Noonan's point is that if you have so much spare cash that you can afford to pi$$ it away on something like Sky Tv, then you have no right to play the poor mouth when it comes to the property tax.

(of course Mr Noonan, like many commentators, avoids dealing with the real reason why a property tax on the principal private residence is injust and unfair - but then he would.)
I'm well aware of what Mr. Noonan was saying, hence my opinion of the man.

kerdasi amaq

That's the way rack-renting landlords thought.

If they could afford to whitewash the cottage; they could afford to pay a higher rent.

Spanner Island

Noonan has a point. Sky is expensive and therefore anyone who prioritises this above their house has to be a moron...

Having said that... if you're not happy with Sky you can move elsewhere or you can cancel your contract etc... whereas there are no such choices when it comes to our lousy government and the taxes and charges they implement...

In addition, governments don't actually earn their money like companies do. They simply collect it which is a key reason I believe public money is treated with such contempt by the 'state' and the 'establishment'...

So on balance, Noonan has a point although being part of such a sh!te government dilutes his point... especially when two successive budgets have seen virtually none of the burden of getting this country out of the hole it's in being put on the parasites in our 'establishment'...

And if that wasn't bad enough, they then insult us by sh!teing on about 'tough decisions' dressed up in disingenuous empathy...

Really tough decisions would see them cut their own salaries by 50%, the slashing of quangos, the slashing of their own expenses, the introduction of compulsory redundancies in the public sector and the determination to fundamentally reform our rotten 'establishment' because it's so obviously a pile of sh!te...

Last edited: