If true Naughten should resign

brughahaha

Article in todays IT

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/o-brien-told-of-minister-s-plan-to-refer-inm-s-celtic-media-takeover-1.3465034

It claims Naughten leaked the fact he was referring the takeover on Celtic media by INM to the BAI (TLA a gogo) to a former press secretary of the Government who at the time was working as a PR consultant for INM.

So its alleged the information then went via a third party to Buckley who then told O'Brien (of course)

Apart from demeaning his office , encouraging the idea that there is a well connected informed private circle , being stupid in leaking anything and the feeling that politicians continually cosy up to O'Brien ..there is the fact that the information concerns a publicly listed company and could have an effect on share price ( and the fore warning could allow illegal trading)

BTW O'Naughten whom the Minister allegedly leaked to says Naughten MUST have known he was working for INM , so would have had a good idea where the information was going

He really should resign ..and in most western democracies would be forced to and probably face a criminal investigation ....In Ireland ...probably Nada

Last edited:

Sync

It's a resignation issue, but really, if shown to be true, it's a firing issue. You can't do that. It's incredibly, obviously wrong.

automaticforthepeople

Naughten only does resignation when it is politically popular over closing down his local A&E. You'd hardly expect him to resign on the basis of accountability?
He follows Michael Lowry in a strong tradition of Continuity FG in more ways than one.

brughahaha

It's a resignation issue, but really, if shown to be true, it's a firing issue. You can't do that. It's incredibly, obviously wrong.
Given , and not just in Ireland , firing never happens in Politics , I'd take a resignation

His current defence of "Its in front of the courts so I cant comment" looks particularly weak

Did you or didn't you inform Eoghan Ó Neachtain of your plans ....easy Yes or No answer

If yes resign immediately
If No and the courts find against you resign then

publicrealm

I think a Tribunal of Enquiry would be the best was to achieve a satisfactory outcome, in the fullness of time.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Given , and not just in Ireland , firing never happens in Politics , I'd take a resignation

His current defence of "Its in front of the courts so I cant comment" looks particularly weak

Did you or didn't you inform Eoghan Ó Neachtain of your plans ....easy Yes or No answer

If yes resign immediately
If No and the courts find against you resign then
1. I don't agree with that line of questioning.

2. That would be a matter for my colleagues.

3. No comment.

4. Thats above my paygrade.

5. Let me make this perfectly clear, blah blah, are we clear?

5. F* you I still get my pensions.

Last edited:

statsman

Independent TDs; who votes for them?

He has to go.

artfoley56

He's making a speech to dail later

SuirView

Did anyone ask him why he did it?

hiding behind a poster

Article in todays IT

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/o-brien-told-of-minister-s-plan-to-refer-inm-s-celtic-media-takeover-1.3465034

It claims Naughten leaked the fact he was referring the takeover on Celtic media by INM to the BAI (TLA a gogo) to a former press secretary of the Government who at the time was working as a PR consultant for INM.

So its alleged the information then went via a third party to Buckley who then told O'Brien (of course)

Apart from demeaning his office , encouraging the idea that there is a well connected informed private circle , being stupid in leaking anything and the feeling that politicians continually cosy up to O'Brien ..there is the fact that the information concerns a publicly listed company and could have an effect on share price ( and the fore warning could allow illegal trading)

BTW O'Naughten whom the Minister allegedly leaked to says Naughten MUST have known he was working for INM , so would have had a good idea where the information was going

He really should resign ..and in most western democracies would be forced to and probably face a criminal investigation ....In Ireland ...probably Nada
Why?

hiding behind a poster

The article says the following:

Mr Heneghan told the then chairman that the Minister told Mr Ó Neachtain, a former government press secretary, the previous afternoon during a telephone call that, based on advice from his officials, he planned to refer the takeover to the BAI “because of the overall ownership of print and broadcast titles by DOB [Denis O’Brien].
Would anyone, perhaps particularly the OP, care to explain what the problem is here? Is it the case that a Minister's plans or intentions in this regard must be kept secret? If so, why? If not, what's the problem for Naughten?

Supra

Would anyone, perhaps particularly the OP, care to explain what the problem is here? Is it the case that a Minister's plans or intentions in this regard must be kept secret? If so, why? If not, what's the problem for Naughten?
I think this is the problem -

He argued in an affidavit filed after a year-long investigation into the firm that Mr Buckley shared information with Mr O’Brien in eight emails and one text from March 2016 to January 2017. This was done “in advance of that information being available to INM’s other shareholders”, potentially breaching Market Abuse Regulations

bonkers

This is really sad.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I'd imagine a Fine Gael minister would have to cannibalize a living child, live on air, before some people could see a problem with it and even then, it would be subject to some really diversionary hair splitting beforehand.

hiding behind a poster

I think this is the problem -

He argued in an affidavit filed after a year-long investigation into the firm that Mr Buckley shared information with Mr O’Brien in eight emails and one text from March 2016 to January 2017. This was done “in advance of that information being available to INM’s other shareholders”, potentially breaching Market Abuse Regulations

That relates to Leslie Buckley, not Naughten.

hiding behind a poster

I'd imagine a Fine Gael minister would have to cannibalize a living child, live on air, before some people could see a problem with it and even then, it would be subject to some really diversionary hair splitting beforehand.
So what problem do you see with "it"?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies