"If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all." - An activist criticising activism

Mercurial

I see a lot of evidence that ordinary people have much greater opportunities for free expression that ever before.

Internet-connected computers and phones are affordable by almost everyone (or, indeed, accessible for free in many public libraries). These allow anybody (even a nobody like me) to publish their thoughts to the whole world - via sites like this, newspaper comments section, or (with a little bit of work and a little expense) one's own web-site.

This makes expression and dissemination of one's ideas much easier and effective that ever before.

You can argue that anti-extremist legislation and policing limit this freedom, but the fact that Anjem Choudary was convicted only after many years suggests otherwise.
I agree people have more freedom of expression now than ever before (at least in some ways). That doesn't mean we have enough.

DavidCaldwell

I agree people have more freedom of expression now than ever before (at least in some ways). That doesn't mean we have enough.
Yes, we need further improvement. Being able to speak out is one step - being listened to (on matters of importance) is another.

Fortunately, we, as individuals, can take steps to improve things. When we want to be listened to, we can think and study, to improve the quality and persuasiveness of our arguments. When it is other people who want to be listened to, it is even easier - we can listen to them with respect, even when we disagree with them.

My belief is that these processes of improvement are already happening, but they are, by their very nature, slow.

The 'toxic culture of the left' is really the extreme lengths pseudo lefties will go to defend a totalitarian ideology like Islam

GDPR

Why call on governments to allow more freedom of expression, when you and your mod team censor threads on p.ie on the basis of whether or not they contradict your own private ideology?

Roisin3

It could do with specific examples alright (why not name names?), and evidence that such examples are representative. Otherwise you're right, it comes across as blanket condemnation requiring justification.

Yes, there were no examples of people being shut out etc. It just came across as a rant.

Roisin3

" We are entering, in politics especially, a post-factual era in which it is apparently permissible for public figures to assert things without evidence, and then to justify their assertions by adding “Well, that’s my opinion” – as though that in itself was some kind of justification. It isn’t. And such charlatans need to learn it isn’t. "

David Hare. Playwright.

" …and there are more examples to come of my belief that the further left you go the more fascist you become. And I'm not going to apologise for that. "

Alan Bleasdale. Playwright.
It's like a globe, the extreme right and extreme left eventually link up.

Best to stay in the middle, in my view, a little to the left here, a little to the right there. That way if you go wrong, you don't go too far wrong.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The 'toxic culture of the left' is really the extreme lengths pseudo lefties will go to defend a totalitarian ideology like Islam
The far left is totalitarian.

Mercurial

Care to give any examples - of any group say in Ireland, or the UK, who are being denied their right to free speech/free expression?
I don't think you would find my examples convincing, but you can pretty much take your pick of anyone who isn't Denis O'Brien.

RasherHash

Care to give any examples - of any group say in Ireland, or the UK, who are being denied their right to free speech/free expression?
Holocaust revisionists are denied freedom of expression in many EU countries and as we are an 'enthusiastic' member of the EU that fact should concern us.

Polly Ticks

It's like a globe, the extreme right and extreme left eventually link up.
This. Too far East is West.

Best to stay in the middle, in my view, a little to the left here, a little to the right there. That way if you go wrong, you don't go too far wrong.
Plus, if you are steadfast about being in the middle, there's less chance of getting dragged into/being involved in political violence. And you get to slag people on the left and right :D

Roisin3

This. Too far East is West.

Plus, if you are steadfast about being in the middle, there's less chance of getting dragged into/being involved in political violence. And you get to slag people on the left and right :D
It does allow a wide latitude for slagging too, there's definitely that advantage.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom