If You Are Irish, Do You Find Being Called A 'Paddy' Offensive?

General Urko

If you are Irish and not called Patrick/Patricia, do you think that being referred to as a 'Paddy' is abusive?
'
I personally do not! And I doubt many under 50s do!

Also do you think calling St. Patrick's Day, "Paddy's Day" is wrong?

A poll a few years ago, over on another well known site, which is probably and understandably not possible to link to, suggested and even split more or less!

bob3344

If you are Irish and not called Patrick/Patricia, do you think that being referred to as a 'Paddy' is abusive?
'
I personally do not! And I doubt many under 50s do!

Also do you think calling St. Patrick's Day, "Paddy's Day" is wrong?

A poll a few years ago, over on another well known site, which is probably and understandably not possible to link to, suggested and even split more or less!
Its not the word that's important but how its used.

Some people will say paddy with hatred, others with affection.

Tawdy

An old lady in an old people's home in New York insisted on calling me "Mick" as she ordered me about while I was mopping her room.

How the nurses and I laughed.

And is Paddy's Day really named after a Christian Saint?

...............and................did he even exist at all ?.................

General Urko

RE Tone - I would imagine outsiders using terms about or to Black folk, Jews etc. would regardless of tone!

silverharp

I remember hearing the expression "throwing a paddy" for the first time in London and it caused me to raise an eyebrow but given they had comedy east end /Essex accents I couldn't take them seriously

Clanrickard

No.

Accidental sock

I prefer it to my actual name.

It's not easy being a 'Bono'.

....but it's my brother Adolph I feel sorry for.

GDPR

Ive found that Welsh people dont like being called Taffies and the Scots dont usually think Jocks is a term of affection.

If Irish people want to reclaim what was originally a sneer, go for it, I suppose. Much like black people can say "You is my n&iggah" but white people had better be careful getting in on the act.

Mushroom

I take a lot more offence at being categorised with the hoi polloi when some slack-jawed p.ie poster starts an inane thread with the words "we all know". Who the fukc are "we" and who appointed Doofus Von Twit as "our" spokesperson?

And, while I'm at, what retarded bunch of yellow pack assh0les decided that MY National Anthem should start with the line "Soldiers are WE"? :mad:

General Urko

I wonder how do our PUL Brethren react to it?petunia

General Urko

I take a lot more offence at being categorised with the hoi polloi when some slack-jawed p.ie poster starts an inane thread with the words "we all know". Who the fukc are "we" and who appointed Doofus Von Twit as "our" spokesperson?

And, while I'm at, what retarded bunch of yellow pack assh0les decided that MY National Anthem should start with the line "Soldiers are WE"? :mad:
Yeah the words are shyte!

Mercurial

It depends on the context, but there are certainly contexts where it is used in a way that's racist.

devoutcapitalist

Not at all offended. It can be used to describe some thick Irish people who don't learn from previous mistakes as opposed to intelligent Irish people.

Socratus O' Pericles

Never really thought about it much but jackeen is great, I love it.

The Jacks Are Back.

Mick Mac

As someone who dislikes the cheap labor trick that is the philosophy of multiculturalism I am sure you'll appreciate the following:

Who gives shyte what you think. It's the anthem. Suck it. Who gives a fucc what your viewpoint is.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
As someone who dislikes the cheap labor trick that is the philosophy of multiculturalism I am sure you'll appreciate the following:

Who gives shyte what you think. It's the anthem. Suck it. Who gives a fucc what your viewpoint is.
The art of civilized discussion is not your greatest talent, is it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies