If you deny there is life at conception, you deny science

The_SR

Someone didn't bother reading their own link....

Since there is no unequivocal definition of life, most current definitions in biology are descriptive

slysnara

With regards to abortion, what matters is whether or not life has begun at 12 weeks, 22 weeks etc.

It doesn't matter so much if life begins at conception if life has begun before the abortion limit.

Voluntary

With regards to abortion, what matters is whether or not life has begun at 12 weeks, 22 weeks etc.

It doesn't matter so much if life begins at conception if life has begun before the abortion limit.
Well it all depends on believes. In Buddha teaching life never ends, just transfers from body to body, so abortion - no big deal, same as death (of the body). In Christianity - also no big deal, as the soul goes nicely straight to heaven.

Henry94.

The debate we are about to have really has nothing to do with that. The question before us is who should decide where Ireland's pregnancy terminations should take place. On one side you have the people who want them to happen in England as is traditional. On the other you have those who think it is more in keeping with our status as an independent state to take care of the issue ourselves. Like grown-ups.

Last edited:

blokesbloke

So?

Do we need to have a funeral for every ejaculate a man makes?

GDPR

Well it all depends on believes. In Buddha teaching life never ends, just transfers from body to body, so abortion - no big deal, same as death (of the body). In Christianity - also no big deal, as the soul goes nicely straight to heaven.
O but it is a big deal for Christians as they consider abortion at whatever stage of the pregnancy to be murder.

Indian and Christian religions all believe that life begins at conception.

MsDaisyC

GDPR

At what point does a living woman become valuable as something other than a walking womb?
I've been a living woman all my life and I don't recall ever being considered "a walking womb" nor have the women I know.

You have made an extraordinary statement MsDaisyC.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

It is a biological fact that a zygote is alive. Biologists even believe things like sperm, bacteria and seaweed is alive. The debate should not be about "does life begin a conception?" but "at point does a living thing become valuable?".

source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life#Definitions
Em, bacteria and seaweed are alive (underlined for emphasis and to also draw attention to grammatical mistake above.)

Its not a matter of what anyone thinks, they are living organisms?

Just saying.

petaljam

I've been a living woman all my life and I don't recall ever being considered "a walking womb" nor have the women I know.

Maybe that's because you've never been in a situation where your own health was being given second place to the contents of your womb.

You live in a country where that won't happen to you. You should remember that if you were in Ireland, that's what the law says. So not extraordinary at all for a woman who's been pregnant in Ireland, or who might be in the future, to say. Or indeed one whose daughters may be in that situation.

petaljam

O but it is a big deal for Christians as they consider abortion at whatever stage of the pregnancy to be murder.

Indian and Christian religions all believe that life begins at conception.
And yet nobody protests outside IVF clinics at the wholesale destruction of embryos that goes on there.
They care a lot more about preventing a vulnerable woman from destroying a single embryo, no matter how difficult her circumstances.
Seems like they're happy to bully women but won't take on the might of business interests.

petaljam

Not if one considers that life has been present even from before conception - otherwise conception couldn't have taken place.

In that case, what matters is at what stage that life should be given rights that may take precedence over the rights of the woman to have the final say about what goes on in her own body.

gerhard dengler

Abortion is the deliberate killing of human life.
Deliberately killing human life is a "big deal".

D

Deleted member 17573

Not if one considers that life has been present even from before conception - otherwise conception couldn't have taken place.

In that case, what matters is at what stage that life should be given rights that may take precedence over the rights of the woman to have the final say about what goes on in her own body.
Life is present prior to conception, but it cannot be properly considered to be a separate human life until the full complement of human DNA is present.

MsDaisyC

I read comments on Twitter last night where women can't get scans and xrays unless they're within 10 days of their period because of hypothetical pregnancy. It's not enough that these women be taken at their word, or that they sign a waiver, the potential contents of their uterus takes precidence over the living woman in need of medical treatment.

Supra

Not the soul of those partaking in abortion.

che schifo

I don't think anyone does what the OP suggests. - However, people do indeed point to the following in the sense the OP appears to be referring to:

Nice nuts!!

New Threads

Most Replies