IF you think things are bad: watch this

VoteFFno1

Website
www.fiannafail.ie
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT96sgTwmvo]YouTube - 1984 BBC docudrama on nuclear war and its effects (pt 1of13)[/ame]

A shocking film made by the BBC about a nuclear war between the soviet union and Nato

TonyBird

Well when you put it like that :D
Maybe FF arent so bad afterall . At least they have protected us from nuclear anihilation:p
They can put that in their next manifesto :rolleyes:

PS it is a great movie !

eoghanacht

If you truly are a FF supporter then i hope you die screaming

marcsignal

Website
www.youtube.com
That movie 'Threads' in the op was first aired on *edit BBC in 1984. It was released on vhs video later that year, and within a year was pulled from the shelves and disappeared. It didn't re-appear until 2004 on dvd.

full movie here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488#

It is believed that the public fear generated by 'Threads' and the earlier American offering on the same theme 'The Day After' was instrumental in bringing about a change in attitude about the nuclear deterrent policy in the west. Ronald Reagan was said to be visibly shocked after having viewed 'The Day After' which, in my opinion, was by far, the the less shocking and realistic of the two movies.

I don't think most people under 30 realise just how close it came to nuclear war in the 80s. It was a close call in 1983 during the NATO 'Able Archer' exercise, when the Russians were within 30 seconds of launching all of their missiles due to a failure of their missile attack warning system.

documentary here

1983: The Brink of Apocalypse - 4oD - Channel 4

Scary stuff indeed.:eek::eek:

Last edited:

NFD100

It was the BBC, not Channel 4. I saw it on TV first time around and didn't sleep properly for weeks. Terifying stuff, especially at the height of Cold War paranoia

voteforme

I saw both of them when they came out, when I was a kid. Threads was by far the more hard hitting of the two...really frightening!!

Fish

YouTube - 1984 BBC docudrama on nuclear war and its effects (pt 1of13)

A shocking film made by the BBC about a nuclear war between the soviet union and Nato
Beyond the fact that this movie and the American version, The Day After were both excellent dramatisations of the absolute horror of nuclear war, you FFers are really clutching at straws today.

What will be your next attempt at depicting the glass as half full? A comparison between our present state and the Spanish Inquisition perhaps?

Are you Dick Roche?

marcsignal

Website
www.youtube.com
It was the BBC, not Channel 4.
you are correct, my mistake, it was in fact BBC :oops:

another good one was 'When the Wind Blows' from 1986, very sad movie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntI-7vR2zRs"]YouTube - When the Wind Blows nuclear missile attack[/ame]

Last edited:

Orchard Rebel

I remember watching it in school in Nottinghamshire and waking up worrying about it for weeks afterwards.

Later on, when I thought about it a bit more, the notion of someone nuking Sheffield didn't seem such a bad idea....

NFD100

Funnily enough, I was in Sheffield for the first time a couple of weeks back and I thought the same thing too!:lol:

Sham96

Just if not more scary [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km9pdEueTNA]YouTube - C: Brian Cowen Nude[/ame]

Conchubhairb

What will be your next attempt at depicting the glass as half full? A comparison between our present state and the Spanish Inquisition perhaps?

[/QUOTE]

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies