If you we're only allowed to have one vehicle....

corporal punishment

Slow day at work.
If the rules changed, and you we're only allowed one vehicle per person, what would it be.
Would you go all practical and find something that comes close to doing everything or go "feck it, I'm having a Porsche".
One vehicle per person and I'm including motorbikes.

For me, I'll pick a bike and nominate the BMW R80g/s.

corporal punishment

Agreed, early starlets we're great, although there was a recall on early 80's models. Something to do with the chassis. My mother was well ripped off by a main dealer when her perfect low mileage, fully serviced starlet was recalled and scrapped. They gave her a pittance for it and sold her a resprayed piece of sh1t in it's place for twice the money.

Happycamping

Agreed, early starlets we're great, although there was a recall on early 80's models. Something to do with the chassis. My mother was well ripped off by a main dealer when her perfect low mileage, fully serviced starlet was recalled and scrapped. They gave her a pittance for it and sold her a resprayed piece of sh1t in it's place for twice the money.
How does a recall work? Would the manufacturer not have to foot the bill?

corporal punishment

How does a recall work? Would the manufacturer not have to foot the bill?
I can't remember the details but the car was out of warranty. they gave her the book price, which was £1200 for a 1980 car I think, then sold her a 1984 car for 2K but the 84 car wasn't a patch on her own car. Looked like it had been crashed and repaired. I wasn't in Ireland when all this happened, so she was definitely taken advantage of. The recall letter contained all sorts of threats about the car not being insured in the event of an accident which may or may not have been true.

jams odonnell

Flann O'Brien,

The Ballroom of Romance,

The Comely Girl from the Neighbouring Parish,

Michael Collins through the Streets of Dublin.

milipod

Slow day at work.
If the rules changed, and you we're only allowed one vehicle per person, what would it be.
Would you go all practical and find something that comes close to doing everything or go "feck it, I'm having a Porsche".

Had one.

corporal punishment

You should have kept it. A fella I know turned down 10K for his one a few months ago. It's as clean as the one above though.

Hunter-Gatherer

a Mazda Bongo

Socratus O' Pericles

Citroen BX amazingly comfortable car.

milipod

[video]http://www.gentlemansride.com/blog/london-and-the-local-gentlefolk[/video]

The Crant

Fossil fuel will be gone by 2022. There will be no fossil fuel electricity. No more than 50% of wind or solar electricity can be allowed into the grid and there is little sun in Ireland and wind farms give power only 21% of the time.

So , I use a lorry to deliver coal and I am investigating buying a horse and designing a new cart for it. There will be no other reliable form of transport

The Crant

Slow day at work.

The Toyota is the best engineered car. Ask any mechanic. Some of the new ones can lock you out and unless you have the spare key with you. you are stuck. The VW Bora does it. Many force you to remove the front bumper to replace a side light bulb. However the day of the petrol or diesel car is over, the EU demands it. electric cars are totally impractical. So get a horse

corporal punishment

indeed I fancy a cafe racer with a boxer motor in it.
There'll be loads of those for sale soon when the hipsters get bored of them and move on to something else. :)

ger12

A Tardis.

Mushroom

I bought this beauty last autumn when sterling took a tumble and so far I've been delighted with it:

Admittedly, it's not all that easy to carry a case of decent burgundy in the panniers, but that apart, it's the best vehicle I have ever owned - unless of course it's raining - but that's a rare thing in sunny West Cork.

New Threads

Most Replies