Illegal US embassy spying in Norway uncovered

arcadeparade

Norway investigates reports of U.S. spying - CNN.com
Norway demands answers from US over Oslo spying claims (Roundup) - Monsters and Critics

Norway demands answers from US over Oslo spying claims
Oslo - Norwegian officials reacted strongly Thursday to reports that the United States secretly commissioned surveillance of hundreds of Norwegian nationals believed to pose a threat to US interests such as the embassy in Oslo.
The surveillance was mainly conducted by former Norwegian security police officers and operated until recently out of an Oslo apartment near the US embassy. The group gathered information, took photographs of people at protests and entered the names into a special database, TV2 news reported.
Norwegian Foreign Ministry officials have met with US embassy officials over the reports.
Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store, who did not take part in the meeting, told reporters Thursday that 'we did not get comprehensive answers.'
Store said the matter would now be pursued by the justice ministry.
The Surveillance Detection Unit comprised 15-20 people that worked round the clock. It was set up 2000, the report said.
'This was something I had no knowledge about,' Justice Minister Knut Storberget said earlier.
According to Storberget, he only knew that former police officers had been employed by the US embassy but was unaware of their role.

Can we assume this happens in every country which has a US embassy?
People been photographed at protests which are considered 'against US interests' and their data but on a database.

If it happens in Norway it wouldnt be a stretch to say it is happening in Ireland too.

FrankSpeaks

Big deal, I would shocked if they weren't, that is what security services do!

Sham96

I live in the US and I would say very probably. Considering the huge recruiting drive on college campuses for the CIA and FBI(and the number of college lecturers from my own experiences who are or claim to be working secretly for the Government. "Secretly" as in telling an entire class for some reason. Witnessed this four times on a Jersey City campus. First time I though nutjob/mitty. Fourth time not so sure).

gijoe

I am sure the US Embassy is collecting all the information that is publicly available on those that make negative comments about them, and more on those who partake prominently in anti US/Israeli protests (same people really).

Partizan

It is well known that the CIA emplot these kind of tactics. While studying in an American educational institute (outside of the US) which was funded by USAID, I was warned that the CIA had placed operatives amoung the College staff and students. To be honest, I was not surprised in the least.

TaxHavenSite

It is well known that the CIA emplot these kind of tactics. While studying in an American educational institute (outside of the US) which was funded by USAID, I was warned that the CIA had placed operatives amoung the College staff and students. To be honest, I was not surprised in the least.
The CIA is a bunch of criminals,that need to face justice of the international community.

FrankSpeaks

Yep. Presumably Ireland also has an intelligence gathering system in place abroad.
Doubt it, we can't afford the ones at home!

Huh you mean the don't sign Petitions against Ronald Reagan visiting in 1980's didn't give people a F****** clue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny that people who signed and protested later struggled with US Visas...........NOT.

Run_to_da_hills

The Great Satan has its eyes on everyone.

The Pentagon in Washington has that shape for a reason.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies