• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Illinois to legalise same sex marriage.

Roll_On

The Illinois state senate voted to legalise same sex marriage today, the bill still has to pass the lower house, but that's expected to be plain sailing. Illinois will be the 10th US state to do so, after Maryland legalised it on the 1st of January this year. Since Illinois is one of the more populated states, the number of Americans living in jurisdictions with same sex marriage is now up to around 63 million people, approximately 21% of the population.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/14/us-usa-gaymarriage-illinois-idUSBRE91D1H020130214

Socratus O' Pericles

That's really good news. Those of an intolerant disposition are losing ground all the time.

imokyrok

That's terrific news. These days one only seems to read about Gopers and their bills/policies to discriminate against lgbt and harass women wanting to control their reproduction so it's good to hear something so positive happening in the US even if it is predicatbly in the north. It would be great to see such an event happening in the bible belt or southern states in our lifetime.

USER1234

It would be great to see such an event happening in the bible belt or southern states in our lifetime.
When Doma and prop 8 get struck down by the Supreme courts they will have no choice!!!

Radix

Gay marriage is very important for the future of society.

USER1234

Gay marriage is very important for the future of society.
I hope you genuinely mean that, but if you don't it does to the gay people who currently are denied the right to civilly marry the person they love!!!!

Tin Foil Hat

The Illinois state senate voted to legalise same sex marriage today, the bill still has to pass the lower house, but that's expected to be plain sailing. Illinois will be the 10th US state to do so, after Maryland legalised it on the 1st of January this year. Since Illinois is one of the more populated states, the number of Americans living in jurisdictions with same sex marriage is now up to around 63 million people, approximately 21% of the population.

In Valentine vote, Illinois Senate approves gay marriage | Reuters
Gay marriage is the most one-sided, black and white, issue of the early 21st century. There is no argument against it.
It's kind of embarrassing that the conservative nation of the USA is beating us to it.

stopdoingstuff

what do you mean???
I mean that when the Federal level fails to deliver or when Federal law is unjust, the States can take matters into their own hands and nullify or basically ignore DOMA.

Radix

I hope you genuinely mean that, but if you don't it does to the gay people who currently are denied the right to civilly marry the person they love!!!!

Fine, I've no problem with gay love but why call it marriage?

Socratus O' Pericles

Because it legally clarifies the contractual position between the couple in the eyes of the state-the same as for hetero marriage really. Plus it is establishing an equal right for all citizens.

USER1234

I mean that when the Federal level fails to deliver or when Federal law is unjust, the States can take matters into their own hands and nullify or basically ignore DOMA.
Unfortunately that's not true, it has been settled law for some time that in conflicts between State and federal law, federal law always wins, in Cooper v. Aaron, 358 U.S. 1 (1958) the Supreme Court directly held that states may not nullify federal law!!!

imokyrok

Gay marriage is the most one-sided, black and white, issue of the early 21st century. There is no argument against it.
It's kind of embarrassing that the conservative nation of the USA is beating us to it.

Actually I think Ireland has as a whole moved further in a short space of time than the US on lgbt matters. Remember how easily the civil partnership legislation went through. I think it was almost unanimous. Any sort of legislation considered pro gay would be fought tooth and nail by Republican politicians in the US and it wasn't here. Also we never had any discriminatory laws against gay people serving in our military. I also think that when the legislation for gay marriage comes forth it will pass easily. That's not to say we can clap ourselves on the back but just that I would imagine being gay in Ireland in 2013 is a bit easier than in the bible belt or the Southern US states where gay homelessness and suicide is at epidemic levels.

Tin Foil Hat

Marriage is not love. It's a legal contract between (hopefully) lovers. There is no good reason to deny the benefits of that contract to lovers of the same sex.

firefly123

Good! It's only right that homos should be allowed to be as miserable as us heteros!

Just kidding Mrs Firefly. Love you! Happy valentines!

Tin Foil Hat

Actually I think Ireland has as a whole moved further in a short space of time than the US on lgbt matters. Remember how easily the civil partnership legislation went through. I think it was almost unanimous. Any sort of legislation considered pro gay would be fought tooth and nail by Republican politicians in the US and it wasn't here. Also we never had any discriminatory laws against gay people serving in our military. I also think that when the legislation for gay marriage comes forth it will pass easily. That's not to say we can clap ourselves on the back but just that I would imagine being gay in Ireland in 2013 is a bit easier than in the bible belt or the Southern US states where gay homelessness and suicide is at epidemic levels.
I agree. Which is why I'm baffled as to why we can't take the obvious, and fairly uncontroversial, step of introducing full gay marriage.