I'm pro-abortion: Sinn Fein EP candidate

Almanac

Listening online to the Mike Reid show on LMFM (broadcast Friday at 10) I was shocked to hear Sinn Fein candidate for the East Thomas Sharkey affirm that he is pro-abortion and favours abortion being introduced into Ireland. He tried to avoid answering directly but due to Reid's persistence he eventually made his position completely clear. The only reason he equivocated was because "51% of your listeners are more concerned than I would be". He also stated that Sinn Fein has no policy "fixed in stone on this issue" which really means that Sinn Fein is pro-abortion as it always has been but like Sharkey it recognises that it is out of synch with the Irish public on this issue and therefore is more reluctant to state its views plainly publicly.

I'd imagine that the majority of Sinn Fein supporters in the Cavan and Monaghan area where LMFM reaches would be opposed to both Sharkey and Sinn Fein's attitude to abortion. Being part of the North West they should vote for NW candidate Ganley instead of Sinn Fein's Pádraig Mac Lochlainn if they care about this issue. Ganley was also on the show and stated that he is 100% pro-life and favours Irish people being able to decide for themselves on this issue (Sharkey spoke glowingly of how EU legislation facilitates the procurement of abortion by Irish women overseas).

Voting Sinn Fein means choosing the abortion agenda. Wavering Sinn Fein supporters who favour life should support Libertas.

turdsl

Well, we were able to give cover to the catholic church for abuse for 60 years, whats the big difference 100,000 s of women going to England to cover our shame,Congratulations to that person for their honesty if we are not honest with ourselves we will not be honest with anybody else, We Have had to much religion all it it has done is to sweep our dirt under the carpet

badboy2

Sinn Fein have never been obsessed with the right to life.

Fair play to Sharky for stating his opinion honestly on this though. Not my opinion but makes me more likely to transfer to SF as I despise the rank dishonesty of some of those in the main parties that hide their opinions.

patronsaint

I admire this candidate for his honesty, a trait sadly lacking in Ganley when it comes to sources of funding, etc.

trekkypj

I'm no fan of Sinn Féin - but I'm not much of a fan of people who bash candidates for being pro or anti Abortion. And because one candidate says he personally supports abortion, you're going to condemn his entire party?

It's simply not an issue for these elections. There's been referenda on it - and the situation isn't changing on abortion at this time. EU law, despite what Ganley and others have suggested, cannot compel Ireland to legalise abortion within the State.

I'm pro-choice in the sense that I believe it's nobody's business but those involved. I have always said to people who ask me my own views that abortion should be down to the individual parents, whose lives are the ones who are fundamentaly going to be affected by the issue. It's for their conscience to decide what to do, and to deal with the consequences of their decision either way. Neither church nor state should play any part in that decision.

Ultimately, I am glad the SF candidate has given his views on this - but I can't understand why it would be relevant for these elections.

Arcadius

I'm no fan of SF either, but at least they've run an honest campaign without the cynical mud-slinging we've seen from some others.

Almanac

He wasn't being honest. He shrouded his view on abortion and whether or not it should be available in Ireland in ambiguity and obfuscation. He mirrored Sinn Fein tactics in attempting to finesse the issue for political gain but was forced into a concession after the question was repeated three or four times.

pete2

Being pro-abortion means being pro-mass immigration. You vote for abortion and you will eventually get population replacement immigration policies.

Have always found it funny how these types refuse to endorse abortion in continents with vastly higher fertility rates than Ireland. Its like they don't like the idea of Irish people having kids or something, weird.

Almanac

It's not just his personal view. Sinn Fein are not opposed to abortion. Sharkey just admitted what was official policy until SF discovered they were out of synch with the majority of Irish people on this issue. He even made SF's attitude clear, "They have no fixed position": in other words their attitude depends on its political expediency not on principle.

F

femmefatale

He wasn't being honest. He shrouded his view on abortion and whether or not it should be available in Ireland in ambiguity and obfuscation. He mirrored Sinn Fein tactics in attempting to finesse the issue for political gain but was forced into a concession after the question was repeated three or four times.
As a politician he has to reconcile his own views with party policy. He may be pro-choice but Sinn Fein as a whole do not adopt a pro-choice stance. As I understand it, there is considerable disagreement within the party on this issue and so, as a party, they are neither affirmatively pro-life nor pro-choice.

Bobert

Jaysus! What a shocker! A man who professes to be in favour of a woman's right to chose? The bastard! Kill him! Kill him!

trekkypj

And he's unique in this?

I would imagine most politicians from all sides would evade answering that question - and I can't blame them. They know damn well that to jump either side would lose them votes. It's sad but thats politics.

Abortion is hardly a main campaign issue this time round. The issues that people are concerned about are: the Economy; Jobs; Security; Competent Governance; and Growth. (not necessarily in that order)

Hewson

All Parties have internal differences on the issue of abortion, but I suspect Sinn Féin are much more in favour of legislation introducing abortion facilities here. Labour are definitely in favour.

That's why I can't vote for either one. It's not an election issue but could very well become problematic if a coalition had a Labour Minister for Health.

Abortion is repulsive and a denial of human rights in its most fundamental form.

trekkypj

All Parties have internal differences on the issue of abortion, but I suspect Sinn Féin are much more in favour of legislation introducing abortion facilities here. Labour are definitely in favour.

That's why I can't vote for either one. It's not an election issue but could very well become problematic if a coalition had a Labour Minister for Health.

Abortion is repulsive and a denial of human rights in its most fundamental form.
And that's fair enough - if that is how you vote. I hold the view that denying the mother's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion is also a denial of human rights myself.

I just don't think politics should be based on one issue, even one as contentious as abortion. I think given the choice of a competent government which contained supporters of abortion, and a corrupt or incompetent one which opposed abortion, I'd pick the competent any day.

That's my view, not gonna shove it down anyone's throat.

Arcadius

So, a politician was asked an awkward question and he tried to avoid answering it.
This completely undermines my faith in politicians' honesty.

There are votes in being more-pro-life-than-thou, but your party has overplayed its hand quite badly.

turdsl

We have a big issues such as money and employment at the moment , lets stick to it,
enough nonsense

marmurr1916

About time an Irish politician came out with a clear pro-choice position.

It's much more honest than Ganley's attempts to smear Harkin and FFers in his constituency as pro-abortion while neglecting to mention that one of his own candidates in England, who he's personally supported, has made pro-choice statements and wants British abortion laws extended to Northern Ireland.

Hewson

And that's fair enough - if that is how you vote. I hold the view that denying the mother's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion is also a denial of human rights myself.

I just don't think politics should be based on one issue, even one as contentious as abortion. I think given the choice of a competent government which contained supporters of abortion, and a corrupt or incompetent one which opposed abortion, I'd pick the competent any day.

That's my view, not gonna shove it down anyone's throat.
I'd argue the toss with you but I've been at this issue for much of last week on different threads, it's a sunny weekend and I don't feel like depressing myself with more 'right to choose'/'right to exist' open-ended arguments.

Maybe Tuesday.

Tiernanator

I'm no fan of SF either, but at least they've run an honest campaign without the cynical mud-slinging we've seen from some others.

Thank you Arcadius. Certainly canvassing I always try to give my own opinion and also my party's opinion where it has one. Sinn Féin like all the main Irish parties are too scared of the conservative catholic ethos in this country. I for one wish there was no abortion but I respect a woman's right to choose to have one. I will never have to be in the position of any woman who chooses to terminate a pregnancy. I cannot imagine that it ever is easy. Mind you if the right wing catholics put pressure on governments to support families and woman in areas such as childcare there might be fewer "shopping trips to London".

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies