"I'm Spartacus!" Kirk Douglas, Hollywood Legend, dead at 103 years of age ...

owedtojoy

Have a feeling there will be some unsavory revelations about Kirk now he's gone.

Definitely not the hero some see him as.

All that breaking the blacklist stuff - he got great writers really, really, really cheap.
I believe he has an accusation of rape hanging over him, but a secondhand one.

owedtojoy

A book boasting about Douglas the superstud?
Wouldn't be an autobiography by any chance...?
Oh gosh it is, well there's a surprise.
A few posts ago you claimed you knew the story. I hope you were not lying to us?

Everyone knows Jews are better at it than goyim. ;)

Last edited:

bob3344

Yeah, I expect we'll hear more about that, not just from Robert Downey Jr

Emily Davison

I believe he has an accusation of rape hanging over him, but a secondhand one.
Mentioned Nathalie Woods at age 16 on the BBC this morning, first time I’d ever heard that.

owedtojoy

"it makes sense that Douglas wants to claim credit for breaking the blacklist—it makes him look like a hero, ahead of his time. He's worked hard to keep that story alive. But it wasn't always like this. As described in a 1977 biography of Trumbo and a 2008 memoir by producer Walter Mirisch, the year after Spartacus, Douglas worked to distance himself from Dalton Trumbo. When the screenwriter said that he wanted credit for re-writing Douglas's next picture, Town Without Pity, Douglas feared continued association with Trumbo might hurt his career. Douglas objected to Trumbo having his name on the screen. "I have yielded to Kirk's wishes in this matter," Trumbo wrote to Edward Lewis in 1961 "

"Douglas was using blacklisted writers, too, even before Spartacus. In our conversation with him, he recounted this era to us and said Trumbo was already on the payroll of his production company at the time of the Spartacus project. What he didn't disclose in our interview or his book is that his company was employing blacklisted writers exclusively, benefiting from their discounted rates. Records for Douglas's company, now housed in archives at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, show that in March 1959 he was paying at least four communist writers. "Kirk Douglas was paying my father only a small fraction of what his salary would have been had he not been blacklisted," said Melissa Trumbo. "Producers got terrific deals back then when they hired blacklisted writers—great scripts for very little money."

The guy was an actor, not a registered charity.

If he did a small bit of good along the way, so much the better for him.

owedtojoy

Mentioned Nathalie Woods at age 16 on the BBC this morning, first time I’d ever heard that.
I heard it described as "claims are second-hand and impossible to verify".

bob3344

Google Robert Downey Jr Kirk Douglas

He did make some great movies though

Out of the Past with Robert Mitchum
The Bad and the Beautiful
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Ace in the Hole
Last train to gun hill

Last edited:

The OD

Damn fine actor - knew very little about his personal life but that's as it should be with entertainers in the main. I couldn't care less what Matt Damon or Ben Affleck or James Woods thinks, just play the role please, that's why you are famous.

Spartacus is still one of my favourite movies.

RIP Kirk, as someone wrote only last night in an obituary, he was like a looming wave across the screen in any scene he was in.

One of the greats.

McTell

Twitter
No

wombat

Out of the Past with Robert Mitchum
The Bad and the Beautiful
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Ace in the Hole
Last train to gun hill
7 days in May where he tossed a coin with Burt Lancaster to decide their roles.
Detective Story - couldn't be made now because of the underlying story

Barroso

rainmaker

Administrator
Seen an interesting program on him(Wayne) on Sky Arts one night , he avoiding serving in the war when a lot of leading actors of the time signed up ...
Douglas did serve in the military.

You might be thinking of Donald Trump who dodged the draft to party with his parents money & later ridiculed a decorated Vietnam vet for being a POW and tortured.

owedtojoy

One I remember ... a schlock Western, but possible the only one Douglas did with John Wayne. Two gunslingers try to rob an armoured stagecoach.

owedtojoy

You might be thinking of Donald Trump who dodged the draft to party with his parents money & later ridiculed a decorated Vietnam vet for being a POW and tortured.
Maybe he was thinking about John Wayne the All-American hero who stayed in Hollywood making movies and money during WWII, while others like Kirk Douglas enlisted in the Navy.

Fittingly, Wayne became the epitome of American "manhood", up until Trump, of course.

Last edited:

The OD

love paths to glory.

RIP Kirk
I am just going through his body of work on IMDB, its amazing how many of his movies I watched as a kid on RTE late on night in black and white!

Some I would need to go back to as I guess a lot of the concepts and themes would have passed by the younger me.

Betson

I heard it described as "claims are second-hand and impossible to verify".

I was talking about John Wayne , in reply to a comment about him.

Trump is serving his country with distinction now, is there any thread you can't turn into a Trump bashing thread.

wombat

Some I would need to go back to as I guess a lot of the concepts and themes would have passed by the younger me.
As I said, Spartacus was a completely different movie to the one I watched as a kid. Detective Story is quite rough but 7 Days in May aged well.

rainmaker

Administrator
Trump is serving his country with distinction now, is there any thread you can't turn into a Trump bashing thread.
Just pointing out a fact.

Half Nelson

Some of you will be back here deleting your posts now that the truth is about to come out.

New Threads

Most Replies