"I'm Spartacus!" Kirk Douglas, Hollywood Legend, dead at 103 years of age ...

LISTOWEL MAN

Paths of Glory aged well.

Kubrick deliberately made it to have the "feel" of the old WWI newsreels. As an anti-war film, it is among the best ever, better than Kubrick's own Full Metal Jacket.
i hope you re-watch 'Eyes Wide Shut' asap

it was heavily edited by warner brothers after (and only after) Kubrick died

eyes wide shut was showing us how Epstein level people operate

Half Nelson

i hope you re-watch 'Eyes Wide Shut' asap

it was heavily edited by warner brothers after (and only after) Kubrick died

eyes wide shut was showing us how Epstein level people operate
Does it mention the women who are shouted down because they didn't have a film crew on standby to film the sexual assaults?

Emily Davison

ooohh harsh emily!

i think lana was basing her assertion on the story by the captain of the boat. because when they met, it was moider.

in respect of the douglas allegations, there's absolutely no verifying information out there at all to link him to the rape.
I wasn't meaning to be harsh. You mix drugs, drink, marriage, sexy other leading man and put the three of them on water and all you're going to get is catastrophy. All three of them, (I don't know about the boat captain) were sexy hot, young and partying. = Trouble with a capital T.

I was discussing parties with my husband in relation to this and what we all got up to when we were 'young'. With this new world of 'woke' it's a wonder anybody is able to have any fun. Somebody in Ireland told me it's Rag week. Oh lord that brings back memories. I see down in Cork they're giving students fines. In my days no self respecting young person had any money to be spending on fines.

Last edited:

raetsel

If we have learned anything, it is that an allegation like this needs serious corroboration - witnesses and other women victims. None have ever some forward.
Kirk Douglas was a Hollywood liberal. Ergo, he was a degenerate, dissolute commie libertine who must be guilty of something and if it's not rape then he probably shot Bambi or ate little puppies, or even babies, or...........................something. :)

artfoley56

I wasn't meaning to be harsh. You mix drugs, drink, marriage, sexy other leading man and put the there of them on water and all you're going to get is catastrophy. All three of them, (I don't know about the boat captain) were sexy hot, young and partying. = Trouble with a capital T.

I was discussing parties with my husband in relation to this and what we all got up to when we were 'young'. With this new world of 'woke' it's a wonder anybody is able to have any fun. Somebody in Ireland told me it's Rag week. Oh lord that brings back memories. I see down in Cork they're giving students fines. In my days no self respecting young person had any money to be spending on fines.
my rag weeks back in the day were nearly caligulan in their debauchery. imagine trying to have a traffic light disco now :D

Emily Davison

my rag weeks back in the day were nearly caligulan in their debauchery. imagine trying to have a traffic light disco now :D
I’m not going to go into the use I had with my sister of a supermarket trolly, (pic in paper) but we’re wise enough, now, but not long after to realise the students union had the prize for their own.

what on earth is a traffic light disco?.

Emily Davison

LOL. That’s gas. My husband went to a dance in a hall once, it’s a famous one, men up one side of the room and women the other. The men had to cross the hall to ask a woman to dance. That would probably be misgendering nowadays! The funniest thing was my husband had long hair then, much to his families disgust, and a man asked him to dance. The kids find pictures of him then odd with the long hair. So much for them being the ‘woke’ generation I thought.

raetsel

Does anyone else think it more than a bit weird that the people who constantly bang on about the (often alleged) sexual transgressions of well known people who are perceived as liberal lefties, are almost invariably fanatical admirers of Donald Trump, a serial lecher who once openly sexually objectified his own daughter and who has freely admitted to sexual assault, a crime he has been accused of by more than 20 women?
The lady doth protest too much methinks......................

Emily Davison

We watched Spartacus last evening, it was on one of the channels here. That was after we went to the cinema to see 1917, which I thought was crap, can’t believe it got 9 BAFTAs and it was a complete rip off of Saving Private Ryan, just more sanitised and not a patch on it.

Spartacus was gripping, aged amazingly well. Typical of it’s time.

Last edited:

owedtojoy

We watched Spartacus last evening, it was on one of the channels here. That was after we went to the cinema to see 1917, which I thought was crap, can’t believe it got 9 BAFTAs and it was a complete rip off of Saving Private Ryan, just more sanitised and not a patch on it.

Spartacus was gripping, aged amazingly well. Typical of it’s time.
Try Paths of Glory, made 50 years ago, and see how compares to 1917.

Watching it again after a long time, I thought Spielberg was in its debt for the Saving Private Ryan battle scenes.

raetsel

wombat

Try Paths of Glory, made 50 years ago, and see how compares to 1917.
Totally different movies, 1917 was more like The Fugitive than a typical war movie although some of the scenes are probably very realistic.

owedtojoy

Totally different movies, 1917 was more like The Fugitive than a typical war movie although some of the scenes are probably very realistic.
You may be right .... 1917 tried to do "one long take" of the action, giving the illusion of continuity. It sought to give the feel of World War I.

Paths of Glory was on a higher plane, dealing with the stupidity of war, and the arrogance of the mainly old men who direct it. A theme Kubrick tackled in an entirely different way in Dr Strangelove. Apparently, Kubrick started with the idea of a straightforward narrative like Paths of Glory, but later said he realised a nuclear holocaust could only be treated as black comedy.

Last edited:

Emily Davison

But it didn’t feel like WW1. It was way too clean. Too sanitised.

owedtojoy

But it didn’t feel like WW1. It was way too clean. Too sanitised.
That is the problem with modern CGI. It gets cartoonish and we get hardened to it - but real violence is not cartoonish.

I wonder what film could give the authentic feel of Wilfred Owen's lines about a man dying of gas poisoning

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.

Of course, that is a representation of violence, too. Susan Sontag wrote a short book about the impossibility of conveying another's suffering in a visual medium, Regarding the Pain of Others. Perhaps, literature can do it better.

Half Nelson

A nice rebuff to the know-nothing haters who leapt to accuse Douglas of rape from someone who met him and researched the case in question as part of her preparation.
That's pathetic. If could be summed up as "I don't want to know".
Lana Wood has no reason to effectively condemn Douglas, yet she remains silent when she could banish all speculation with a word.

rainmaker

Administrator
Shur, 'tis only rape.
No, it is a third, even fourth hand allegation about dead people that something may have happened - Do you see the difference?
Lana Wood has no reason to effectively condemn Douglas,
Really, a cynic might see the oppurtunity for interviews and book sales.

Popular Threads

Most Replies