Images of Luas and Metro

alonso

alonso

College Green

The more things change eh?

St Stephen's Green

Dawson Street

YoungLiberal

I'd definitely have to say that the Luas and the Dart have been two of the four most important infrastructural developments in DUblin in the last 25 years, the other two being the IFSC and the M50. With this in mind, I am truly excited at the prospect of the Metro, Dart Underground and extended Luasanna.

seanmacc

I often scratch my head and wonder why in the hell the Ballymun Luas line wasn't built first of all.

johnfás

With this in mind, I am truly excited at the prospect of the Metro, Dart Underground and extended Luasanna.
So long as it is all correctly integrated. By that I mean that if one has to cross barriers (as one does on any Metro or train - not tram though) that they can move from one system to another at intersection points without going through more barriers and without extra cost. This is the danger of having multiple systems and multiple operators in a small city.

alonso

So long as it is all correctly integrated. By that I mean that if one has to cross barriers (as one does on any Metro or train - not tram though) that they can move from one system to another at intersection points without going through more barriers and without extra cost. This is the danger of having multiple systems in a small city and multiple operators in a small city.
At interchange points such as Pearse, Docklands and Stephen's Green I would assume that no further barriers will require to be passed through going from Metro to DART. Luas has none anyway and I don't think Metro will either except at underground stops. Our metro is not comparable to European Metros - our one is light rail, the only real difference to Luas is that it is, in the most part, fully segregated but it will look and feel very similar to Luas. Metro in Paris for example is heavy rail.

alonso

Ballymun isn't getting a Luas, it's getting a metro.
Originally it was meant to get a Luas and the Metro would've gone to Finglas under the DTO strategy. This arrangment would have allowed Metro West to have been a more direct and viable option for Blanch to the city centre than via Ballymun further east.

YoungLiberal

Originally it was meant to get a Luas and the Metro would've gone to Finglas under the DTO strategy. This arrangment would have allowed Metro West to have been a more direct and viable option for Blanch to the city centre than via Ballymun further east.
Ah right, wasn't aware of that.

seanmacc

Ballymun isn't getting a Luas, it's getting a metro.
There was even a Luas plan for Swords. The Ballymun line would of made a lot of sense at the time. There was a lot of the Luas plans scaled back and tanked for whatever reasons and the Luas was essentially done half assed.

Grumpy Jack

There was even a Luas plan for Swords. The Ballymun line would of made a lot of sense at the time. There was a lot of the Luas plans scaled back and tanked for whatever reasons and the Luas was essentially done half assed.
That was due to FF-PDs listening to whinges from their supports/donors in city centre businesses who didn't want the disruption during construction. Bertie stalled the original three-line Luas (Tallaght, Dundrum and Ballymun to city centre) that had been developed by Rainbow and was ready to go to tender in 1997 while consultants considered other route alignments and the 'underground option' in the city centre. FF got elected and the rest is history...

seanmacc

population of tallaght: 100,000. Population of Ballymun: 15,000.
That's why.
Ballymun had a population of 22,109 in 2006 according to Wikipedia. Bear in mind that Cabra, Glasnevin and Santry have similar sized populations. Also in 2000-2006 a lot of people in Ballymun were moved out of the towers as their new houses were constructed. Seeing that the whole of the town of Ballymun was being effectivley demolished and rebuilt at this time, building the Luas then would of made loads of sense.

I wasn't saying that it should of been built at the expense of the Tallaght line, having used to commute by bus to Tallaght on a regular basis I can understand how much it was needed there.

the agent

Ah Lads, for gods sake when do we learn. a metro system for a city with a population of 1 million, it wont work, it wont pay, and we are already broke.

Estragon

Maybe it had something to do with the almighty level of bitching that went on when the Luas was being built originally.

seanmacc

Ah Lads, for gods sake when do we learn. a metro system for a city with a population of 1 million, it wont work, it wont pay, and we are already broke.
Works in the city of Bilbao. They have a fantastic brand spanking new metro, light rail system and logical bus transport. As a result they have SFA traffic and a fabulous looking city and they are a city of less than 1 million.

Grumpy Jack

Prague has a population of 1.25 million people and has three metro lines and 20-plus tram lines.

The Greater Prague area has a population of 1.9 million and is served by the metro lines and suburban rail.

The Metro and Dart Underground will serve the greater Dublin area which is expected to have a population of circa two million people by 2020.

Metro will serve a corridor from north of swords to the city centre, including Swords, Ballymun, DCU, Croke Park, the Mater Hospital, O'Connell Street and Stephen's Green.

Dart 1 will eventually serve the area from Drogheda to Kildare town.

Dart 2 will serve from Maynooth to Bray.

All three lines will intersect with the others and existing and future Luas and Metro lines - giving Dublin an integrated transport system just like Prague.

It works in Prague - why won't it work in Dublin?

And various studies since 1975 believe such a system is essential and will work - the most recent being those carried out by the DTO, RPA and Irish Rail.

Have you even heard of the DTO Platform for Change 2000-2016 strategy? It set out in 2000 the need for an integrated Luas, Metro and Dart network for Dublin by 2016. That hasn't changed. In fact, the DTO is now updating its strategy to cover the period until 2030 - and will still haven't built Metro, Dart Underground or half the Luas lines it envisaged the first time round.

meriwether

The sun is always shining in these mocked up pictures.

DO THE MANDARINS TAKE US FOR FOOLS?!?

toughbutfair

Will these make money (net of the savings in dole, more tax etc)? if not, then now is not the time to build them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies