• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Imagine not having a vote: are you sure you are on the new Register?

EUrJokingMeRight

My suspicion is that they just remove people in the knowledge that party supporters will be sure to check in good time they are on it and the less engaged will be less likely to do so.

If you can eliminate say, 5% of the electorate who are most likely swing voters, you can skew the results. Sounds like a mad, internet style conspiracy theory until you see stuff like the incorrect date listed. Makes you wonder. Why exactly are people just removed without explanation?

Lots of things sound like mad, internet style conspiracies until they are actually proven to be true. I lost out on my vote because of being removed for no reason, thing is, I had checked in good time and was on it, grand, then a thread went up about it on here and just out of curiosity I checked again. Gone. No reason. Too late at that stage of course. I was f*cking livid.

My advice, assume that you are not on it and check, check and check again. I'd rather be paranoid with a vote than content without one. Of course I'm still at a loss as to who to vote for but that of course is another issue.
Well you should check out the logic behind the shifting of electoral boundaries? Same logic as removing people from the electoral register.

BaileysHero

Thanks again.
I just thought there may have been a specific or general reason for my removal that you have been aware of, I understand now it could be for any reason, I honestly would not have known until the next time I went to vote.

Expose the lot of them

Funny stuff happens around compiling the Electoral Register.

People can even find themselves off it after being on it for years.

Every so often a short window opens - this is when you can check and make sure you still have your right to vote recognised.

Check the Register

In Focus - Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government

The official publicity misleadingly refers to 25 November. The last date for receipt of corrections or new applications is the day before that - 24 November. Watch out for that.

The new register will decide who gets to vote for instance on the civil marriage equality referendum due next year.
Just checked - still on the register but will check again closer to the 24th. Many years ago, my parents along with a number of others, all of whom had lived at the same address for many years, found themselves mysteriously removed from the register.

He3

Just checked - still on the register but will check again closer to the 24th. Many years ago, my parents along with a number of others, all of whom had lived at the same address for many years, found themselves mysteriously removed from the register.
Social media can work to make those apparently isolated and never explained incidents a bit more rare I hope. Tell your friends.

realistic1

Every so often a short window opens - this is when you can check and make sure you still have your right to vote recognised.

Check the Register

The official publicity misleadingly refers to 25 November. The last date for receipt of corrections or new applications is the day before that - 24 November. Watch out for that.

The new register will decide who gets to vote for instance on the civil marriage equality referendum due next year.
I am in Co Limerick and so is my whole family. What the ************************ is going on

He3

I am in Co Limerick and so is my whole family. What the ************************ is going on
You don't have to be in Co. Limerick to feel that way :)

Seriously though, is it that you are city voters and in the wrong Register?

He3

Thanks again.
I just thought there may have been a specific or general reason for my removal that you have been aware of, I understand now it could be for any reason, I honestly would not have known until the next time I went to vote.
Welcome.

More moves than a moving statue.

NorthWest

Thanks for the link

Tried it. If this is correct it seems my wife an I are no longer registered, so tried my neighbors name, he is not there either.
Although only voted once since moving back to Ireland on '02 (was always working), do remember getting the cards. Very strange.

He3

Thanks for the link

Tried it. If this is correct it seems my wife an I are no longer registered, so tried my neighbors name, he is not there either.
Although only voted once since moving back to Ireland on '02 (was always working), do remember getting the cards. Very strange.
Strange things do happen to the Register as the posts on this thread show.

Always check.

He3

Family Fortunes: One dog, one vote

"My sister and I put Rex on the register of electors as a joke, calculating dog years to human years for his age. Weeks later, we roared laughing when a voting card came in the door for him."

Rex got on the Register. Did you?

He3

9 and a 1/2 Days.

He3

On Twitter:

@IzzyKamikaze: Apparently I have been removed from the electoral register. Anybody know how this can happen?

He3

Check the Register

Six days to go.

He3

Shutters coming down.

Dearghoul

On Twitter:

@IzzyKamikaze: Apparently I have been removed from the electoral register. Anybody know how this can happen?
From what I understand, unelected tally men from the various parties can object to your name being on the register if they think your vote will not come their way. They can give it as their belief you no longer live there.