• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Imagine not having a vote: are you sure you are on the new Register?

He3

From what I understand, unelected tally men from the various parties can object to your name being on the register if they think your vote will not come their way. They can give it as their belief you no longer live there.
Thanks, can anyone else confirm if this is how it goes?

Bemafar

We have people call regularly - about once a year - checking the register (I llive in a rural area in Co Wexford). Somebody sure is interested in ensuring it's correct and updated in this area.

Expose the lot of them

Some years ago, long before the Internet, my parents and a large number of neighbours discovered that that had been removed from the register when they arrived at be polling station to vote. They were not worried when the cards did not arrive as that had occurred in the past. The people who were disenfranchised had lived at the addresses for ate set 50 years. As far as I can remember, it was a long time ago, the blueshirts were in power at the time.

I check the register regularly and take time stamped screenshots - not that would do me much good if push came to shove.

I think there are some issues with the website, friend of mine checked yesterday, there are three registered voters in the household - all were on the register a few months ago, all have been on the register at that address since at least 2001.

Yesterday morning at 6am one of the three was no longer on the register, just before this person called to see what had happened, he checked again and Li and behold he was back on the register. And yes he checked several times to make sure that he had input accurate information when he went missing.

I am inclined to put it down to a glitch in the website, if it is a conspiracy they removed the wrong person as he is the only one in that household likely to give any of the current government candidates a vote next time out.

valamhic

I am the leader of the STAHP Stay at Home Party, We recommend everyone registers to vote, but do not exercise their vote.

omurchu

"People can even find themselves off it after being on it for years"

and if your address has not changed their should be hell to pay for the official who changed deleted your status . its a criminal act or should be if not in a REAL democracy.. !!!

capitalismrots

Back on the register, but as Expose says watchfulness is the key when it comes to Irish ****-ups in administration :cool:

Dorcha

Let's put it this way: data at that volume is not kept on Excel spreadsheets. It'll be kept on very large scale servers running SQL, DB2, IMS or CICS. There will be daily integrity checks with trigger file and regression testing. No significant system change will be performed without before and after checks. All of this will be very strictly audited by external sources.
Even in Ireland?

Orbit v2

Even if you're not on the main register you can still get on the supplementary register up to three weeks before an election.

Victor Meldrew

Some years ago, long before the Internet, my parents and a large number of neighbours discovered that that had been removed from the register when they arrived at be polling station to vote. They were not worried when the cards did not arrive as that had occurred in the past. The people who were disenfranchised had lived at the addresses for ate set 50 years. As far as I can remember, it was a long time ago, the blueshirts were in power at the time.

I check the register regularly and take time stamped screenshots - not that would do me much good if push came to shove.

I think there are some issues with the website, friend of mine checked yesterday, there are three registered voters in the household - all were on the register a few months ago, all have been on the register at that address since at least 2001.

Yesterday morning at 6am one of the three was no longer on the register, just before this person called to see what had happened, he checked again and Li and behold he was back on the register. And yes he checked several times to make sure that he had input accurate information when he went missing.

I am inclined to put it down to a glitch in the website, if it is a conspiracy they removed the wrong person as he is the only one in that household likely to give any of the current government candidates a vote next time out.

almost a year later from this post and there appears to be an issue in DLR.

South Dublin CCO seems to be OK, but any one I know in DLR has been vaporised....

R

Ramps

Don't worry about it.

Voting is irrational. Spend the time in bed or whatever.

Victor Meldrew

Just checked, still on the register, I am DCC.

Any idea what has happened in DLR?
Either it is a vendatta against my friends, neighbours and relatives or it is a feck up in their database.

or there was a breach is some social Meeja forum where people use aliases and someone put all the data into a sausage machine, identified me and my social group and decided we needed fewer blueshirts.

yep, that's it. now if you excuse me, I have urine to bottle and stools to file...

mattmite

theres a site to check if u registered? surely not.

Degeneration X

Got a form through the door today for voter registration. Can they not just go off the census or something?

Orbit v2

Useless fcking system. Just checked and two members of my family are dropped from it. No notification or explanation. Would a note informing us of that situation be too much trouble?

Also, would it be too much to ask that the checktheregister.ie website contain a few pages of instructions, deadlines for the various stages etc?

If you live in Fingal, checktheregister.ie redirects you to Fingal county council's website and if you find you are not on the draft register, they tell you to fill out and return form RFA2. That is actually the wrong form (should be RFA1), and if you return that, close to the deadline, it will be rejected. This happened to me several years ago and I explained it to someone in the council but they still haven't fixed it.

To someone prone to conspiracy theories you would be convinced they are deliberately doing it; in reality it's much more likely to be sheer incompetence.

I might add though citizensinformation.ie is a mine of useful (and accurate) information. It has all the correct information about deadlines and what forms to use at each stage.

Expose the lot of them

Useless fcking system. Just checked and two members of my family are dropped from it. No notification or explanation. Would a note informing us of that situation be too much trouble?

Also, would it be too much to ask that the checktheregister.ie website contain a few pages of instructions, deadlines for the various stages etc?

If you live in Fingal, checktheregister.ie redirects you to Fingal county council's website and if you find you are not on the draft register, they tell you to fill out and return form RFA2. That is actually the wrong form (should be RFA1), and if you return that, close to the deadline, it will be rejected. This happened to me several years ago and I explained it to someone in the council but they still haven't fixed it.

To someone prone to conspiracy theories you would be convinced they are deliberately doing it; in reality it's much more likely to be sheer incompetence.

I might add though citizensinformation.ie is a mine of useful (and accurate) information. It has all the correct information about deadlines and what forms to use at each stage.
Try the eircode, it seems as if we are being forced to use the bloody thing.

Expose the lot of them

Just did an interesting exercise there.

When I used my address, not the EIRCODE, I was no longer on the register. Did a search, found the Eircode, plugged it in and lo and behold, I am on the register.

WTF is that all about.
About 20 minutes later, I did the same search, this time using the address only and there I am on the register. What would youput that down to? cookies?

As always I will continue to check regularly and take time/dated screenshots.