• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Imagine not having a vote: are you sure you are on the new Register?

The Rahenyite

Imagine not having a vote

Being disillusioned with politics maybe I wouldn't care. Would guarantee I wouldn't be called up for potential jury duty.

Degeneration X

"Chairperson Ms Justice Tara Burns said it was important for the Commission to come out of Dublin to spread the message that it is important to vote in a referendum because it relates to our fundamental law, the constitution, and only people can change the constitution.

She said that people should first of all check that they are on the electoral register on 'checktheregister.ie' and if they are not on the register then take steps to ensure they are put on the supplemental register for the referendum on 24 May.

If a person who is entitled to vote is not on the register the judge said she or he should download and fill in a form from the website, bring it to a garda station with identification, and then return it to their local authority by 7 May, which is the final date for inclusion on the supplemental register."

For anyone on the site looking for this.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Every year that passes without an exercise to clean up the electoral register- and by that I would be particularly concerned with 'de-duping' in order to impoverish certain FF families as regards the number of votes they cast- increases the chances of the Irish Electoral Roll winning the Booker Prize for Fiction.

Ahern was asked about the state of the register back in 2006 and confirmed that there were no plans to clean up the register, despite estimates suggesting up to 40% of the entries on it were erroneous as of 2006.

That would have been thirteen years ago, and what- three general elections?

Round tower

"Chairperson Ms Justice Tara Burns said it was important for the Commission to come out of Dublin to spread the message that it is important to vote in a referendum because it relates to our fundamental law, the constitution, and only people can change the constitution.

She said that people should first of all check that they are on the electoral register on 'checktheregister.ie' and if they are not on the register then take steps to ensure they are put on the supplemental register for the referendum on 24 May.

If a person who is entitled to vote is not on the register the judge said she or he should download and fill in a form from the website, bring it to a garda station with identification, and then return it to their local authority by 7 May, which is the final date for inclusion on the supplemental register."

Every year that passes without an exercise to clean up the electoral register

It's past time the electoral reister was cleaned up and made it much easier for reistering, everybody has a PPS number, their should be a special website, where a person fill in the form, their address, their EIR Code of their address if possible for purposes of knowing wat polling station they will be voting that would be mainly for urban areas and their PPS. No need for the GS or to return it to the LA, filled in 5 minutes.

Baron von Biffo

Thanks for that. I'm flabbergasted that it's the first I've heard of this referendum. I stopped watching SixOne when it was GQed and TWIP has been a shambles since Sean O'Rourke left, but I check the websites of the papers every day and I can't recall seeing anything about it.

The old senility must be further along than I thought. :(

Baron von Biffo

Every year that passes without an exercise to clean up the electoral register

It's past time the electoral reister was cleaned up and made it much easier for reistering, everybody has a PPS number, their should be a special website, where a person fill in the form, their address, their EIR Code of their address if possible for purposes of knowing wat polling station they will be voting that would be mainly for urban areas and their PPS. No need for the GS or to return it to the LA, filled in 5 minutes.
The Electoral register website looks like something designed by IT people without adult supervision.

The first bit of information it demands of you is what province you live in. Something no one uses once they stop adding 'The World, The Universe' to their address at the age of about 7.

After asking for your street name you're taken to the next page where that street name is displayed but not selected so you must click it again. Then you put in your house number but you must also put in the name of a person at that address. And if you want to check an entire family you must go through the whole tedious process one by one.

If your name is Thomas on the register and you put in Tom on the site (or vice versa)it will tell you you're not registered.

Why they had to do it in such a clumsy and pedantic way is beyond me. If you go to the Post Office or council offices you'll be shown a paper copy where you can look up your house, or your street, or any other street for that matter, and see who's registered. Why must the online version be less functional?

Just another example of our culture of amateurism I suppose.

sic transit

Thanks for that. I'm flabbergasted that it's the first I've heard of this referendum. I stopped watching SixOne when it was GQed and TWIP has been a shambles since Sean O'Rourke left, but I check the websites of the papers every day and I can't recall seeing anything about it.

The old senility must be further along than I thought. :(
Foreign divorce legislation and reduce the period of separation. More of a reflection of the times and some minor housekeeping. Personally think it should be taken out and left to legislation only.

Round tower

The Electoral register website looks like something designed by IT people without adult supervision.

The first bit of information it demands of you is what province you live in. Something no one uses once they stop adding 'The World, The Universe' to their address at the age of about 7.

After asking for your street name you're taken to the next page where that street name is displayed but not selected so you must click it again. Then you put in your house number but you must also put in the name of a person at that address. And if you want to check an entire family you must go through the whole tedious process one by one.

If your name is Thomas on the register and you put in Tom on the site (or vice versa)it will tell you you're not registered.

Why they had to do it in such a clumsy and pedantic way is beyond me. If you go to the Post Office or council offices you'll be shown a paper copy where you can look up your house, or your street, or any other street for that matter, and see who's registered. Why must the online version be less functional?

Just looking at how u reister to vote online in the UK, would seem simple enough and they say it takes about 5 minutes.
I would say a nre Electoral Commission should look at the old electoral areas, especially in rural areas, don't think their is need for a fair number and u would not need the aamount of polling stations.

Baron von Biffo

Just looking at how u reister to vote online in the UK, would seem simple enough and they say it takes about 5 minutes.
I would say a nre Electoral Commission should look at the old electoral areas, especially in rural areas, don't think their is need for a fair number and u would not need the aamount of polling stations.
FG is already a damaged brand in rural Ireland. If they try that the voters will use the few remaining polling stations to rout them completely.

Round tower

FG is already a damaged brand in rural Ireland. If they try that the voters will use the few remaining polling stations to rout them completely.
Why, in my area alone, their is 9 different areas, it could be reduced to about 5 or 6.
I do be the FG persson in my nearest polling station aand the last LE their was around 600 people on the reister to vote, if PB was closed i don't think their would be such a uproar, as their is cars and if a persson had trouble in travelling to vote their is the usual party cars.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

Someone's cousin will have got the contract and charged a fortune for an 'out-of-the-box' kit with a slightly different user interface marketed on top of it.

petronius

Voted this morning and it is an affront to democracy not to have the wording of the constitutional change on the referendum ballot paper, or even in the polling booth.

elbart

Voted this morning and it is an affront to democracy not to have the wording of the constitutional change on the referendum ballot paper, or even in the polling booth.
Interesting, haven't voted myself as yet. Is this open to legal challenges one would wonder?

constitutionus

we only got the booklet and the voting cards 2 days before the election day in my neck of the woods.

seemed to be a special delivery too as the postey NEVER comes at that time of the day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies