IMF Herald the Beginning of Recovery

goosebump

While I do hope the IMF will impose necessary cuts that FF didn't have the balls to do, I don't think their remit will include "providing the best level of care to the most people". Their job is to re-shape the economy so it can best repay any loans it receives. Maybe the HSE will improve, but if it does, it'll be a happy side-effect rather than an intentional aim.
Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic re. the micro management, but they should at least be able to take on the PS unions in the Health Service.

typical

Lets make the most of the opportunities that will be provided by this "hopefully" brief period of adult supervision and that we are ready and mature enough to take back our "sovereignty" licence when we come out of this.
"Adult supervision"? Are you stoned? The IMF readily support and facilitate corrupt, failed governments all over the world in return for being allowed to use the client countries natural recourses and labour force to their own ends.

Their not grown-ups, they're a bank. They'll run Ireland for their own profit instead of the profit of the people and, unlike FF, we'll get no option to vote them out. You're not exporting your cop on are you, by any chance?

HarshBuzz

some sugar with your revisionist tea there Goosebump?

gayguy2000

Ok so we'll all see public servants get a 30% paycut or whatever, but stuff will continue to get more expensive in Ireland? We're all going to be a lot worse off no? How much do you think the dole will get slashed?

DCon

Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic re. the micro management, but they should at least be able to take on the PS unions in the Health Service.
That is not their job. They will leave the government decide on the cuts..we will have the same politcking from FF

goosebump

Their not grown-ups, they're a bank. They'll run Ireland for their own profit instead of the profit of the people and, unlike FF, we'll get no option to vote them out. You're not exporting your cop on are you, by any chance?
You can vote them out.

You can vote for a Government that promises to repay them what they are owed and they will go away.

eoghanacht

The IMF do tremendous damage throughout the Third World and are slaves to right-wing economic orthodoxy. This is a bloody awful day. Nearly as bad as the days that Ahern was re-elected...
Even so, i'm just relieved that the country can now get down to doing something about the mess FF etc created, they'll be social upheavel not seen on a scale since the early 20th century.

Interesting years ahead.

GreenIsGood

I've been listening to the Commentariat telling me that this is terrible, ignominious day for our country.

That may be true if you have put a lot of value on lofty ideals like sovereignty, nationhood and have a misty eyed view of various events that occured in our history at the beginning of the 20th century.

However, if like me, you live in the present, and are more concerned about the quality and extent of your freedoms rather than who provides them, today is a good day.

Why? Because over the next couple of years, key economic decisions in this country will no longer be made by people who are more concerned about the narrow political impact of those decisions than that actual impact they will have on society.

Instead, they will be made by people who have long experience of getting the best possible return for a finite set of resources without having to worry about how they are perceived politically.

For instance, our Health budget will now be allocated in a way that provides the best level of care to the most people, rather than in a way that ensures that as many hayseed politician as possible have a reasonable chance of being re-elected.

If this dispassionate and objective approach is applied to every aspect of fiscal management in this country, we will, after a short and painful period of adjustment, be left with a solid and depoliticised foundation on which to build a more productive and efficient public sector, which will cost a fraction of what it used to cost when it was designed for political purposes.
Is this the view of the rest of the Green Party too?

Sync

eoghanacht

Take them on?

There more than likely won't be a health service to employ them.

mothball

A terrible thing to have happen to a country. The IMF will simply be concerned about cutting whatever is necessary so the Irish peasantry can pay back the money that they have generously donated to the poor banking elite of the world.
The only way healthcare or education will benefit will be if we have honest politicians and public servants who will cut all the waste and bloated salaries for the benefit of their fellow citizens. Call me a cynic, but I don't see that happening. Whatever money is left when the IMF take their cut will be dished out amongst our Chieftains with the remaining scraps going to satisfy the selfish needs of the masses for healthcare, education, food and clothes.
Personally, I'd sooner kick the thieving IMF/EU scum out of the country along with their arse licking friends in the Dáil, including the opposition. The IMF will do nothing that our cowardly, scumbag politicians could have done if they had any scruples at all. In fact, they'll cut the waste and pocket whatever is saved whereas if our home grown scum had done it, we might have seen some benefit because the money would have stayed in the country.

controller

We still have to get rid of the corruption that is in-built into the political system. Until then, nothing changes....

tiny tim

Am I happy the IMF is here?..................... ANYTHING is better than Fianna Fail or Fianna Fail and the Green Party running the country. Just give us a chance to recover by letting all of us go to the polls.

typical

You can vote them out.

You can vote for a Government that promises to repay them what they are owed and they will go away.
We won't ever be in a position to pay them this money back, we don't have it and don't have the economic prospects to make it.

FF are selling us into slavery to pay the banks, and the IMF (bankers!!) are always careful to ensure their slaves don't quite make enough money to buy their freedom.

hiker

Great OP, grafter1.
I agree that there is an awful sense of shame pervading the country.
However, sometimes I need a gentle reminder that the universe does not revolve around a small island in the middle of the north Atlantic.
My german wife pointed out to me this morning that Ireland is not the only country to have suffered an economic disaster.
Her own nation was destroyed after the Nazi regime in the 1940's and they we're left penniless and destitute.
The United Sates stepped in with a "Bailout" called the Marshal Plan.
I dont think we could call the Federal Republic of Germany anything other than a "Soveirign State" today?

We will take our "Merkel Plan" and we will recover our pride and we wont make the same mistakes again.

We may make different mistakes but, hey, it's as good as it gets.

budgie29

I agree with most of yr sentiment. At last we are going to have real men to make real decisions not like those idiots who have been in power for the last 13 yrs.

I think this will be a wake up call for the country and we can start to rebuild this broken country. We need to have a strategic view for a sustainable economy - not one built on short term needs and whims of people who shout the loudest.

We have an export industry which is growing strongly again. We need to ensure this is preserved and give them the best conditions possible for growing their businesses. Whether we like it or not, its these companies are paying the taxes and mantaining our high standard of living.

We need to nurture and encourage local companies and entrepeneurs. For this to happen there has to be more higher and better targeted spending on education and enterprise. Spending on public wages will have to be slashed and then we shld see a fall in costs. Rates, ESB, Gas etc.. are far too high and this has to be tackled immediately.

I for one am prepared to take some pain for a few yrs so we can earn back our independence and live in a country where everyone has an equal chance at success and education. A political system which is accountable and can never again perpetuate these follies again and again and again.

grafter1

My apologies, I’m sorry to equate you to ff or to their supporters, but your OP brought up all the memories of the pronouncements of the past decade which are now proven to have been nothing more than b*llsh*t. from ff.
We are now to look forward to a decade or more of low growth, high unemployment and emigration, our best and brightest will leave, how can you not understand that?.
Any new government will have to fight tooth & nail to pass any policies to sort out ff mess of the economy, because it will be a coalition and subject to breaking up.
The Private Sector capital that you feel is primed for investment will head offshore as it did throughout the 1980’s.
Though you hate them, the public sector worker will still have to be paid, which will become increasingly difficult as the economy is trapped in a spiral of hiking taxes to pay for bailing out the bankers.

It’s time for some realism, not bertie ahern-esqe notions about this county.
Cozzy thanks for the reply and i apologise for the IQ remark. It was childish of me but you did accuse me of peddling FF propaganda so i hope you'll forgive me.

Just to take you up on one important point. I have nothing but admiration for the vast majority of public sector workers. They include my wife, sisters, brother and mother.

I however also believe that they are all overpaid. In saying that its not their fault. I believe that when pay increases occur in the public sector (and increases to welfare for that matter) they must be sustainable. And by that i mean that if economic conditions deteriorated the country would still be able to afford the rates of pay and welfare.

The worst thing any government can do is to overpay employees and welfare recipients and then take money off them.

Its better to pay someone 35k per year every year than to pay them 35k in Year 1, 40k in Year 2 and 35k in Year 3.

Anyway i've decided that i'm looking on the bright side from now on. I'll be dead and buried in 50 years time and i very much doubt on my death bed ill regret not being worried about the IMF

mothball

Am I happy the IMF is here?..................... ANYTHING is better than Fianna Fail or Fianna Fail and the Green Party running the country. Just give us a chance to recover by letting all of us go to the polls.
And what will happen then? FG and Labour are stuck with the IMF pulling the purse strings. Their hands are tied unless they tell the IMF to leave. Do you honestly see that happening?
It's too late. The deal has been done and there isn't one politician with the intelligence or integrity to do the right thing.

Tea Party Patriot

There is nothing good about the IMF. They are parasites and are simply evil.

They have just €200 to €300 Billion left in their kitty. That's not enough for the carnage ahead (Portugal, Greece (again), Spain, Italy, UK, Japan and the US). Praise be.
Don't forget quantitative easing, they will take this option when the money runs out, inflation will be back.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom