IMF Herald the Beginning of Recovery

mothball

I've just bookmarked this thread just so we can see what all these valium poppers who praise the arrival of the IMF are saying this time next year. They will slash and burn, which is required, but they do it at a higher price than we would have paid if our own politicians had done what they should have done. The money they take out of public expenditure will simply go to service the billions of euro we'll pay in interest every year for using their money.

myksav

Insurance rates, ESB, etc are all going up next year. Everything appears to be getting more expensive, when it's already a country far far more expensive to do business in than other Euro countries.
How are they going to bring prices down, to relate with all the cuts the IMF will bring in?
Why should prices come down? The only thing the IMF does is control expenditure by a Gov't by controling the supply of money. They do not do anything about general prices.
Expect to be skint before Dec 7th.

myksav

We have had 2 years of deflation.

Yesterday, I bought 10 cans of Stella Artois in Tesco for €8.
The alcoholics delight, that. Possibly the plan is to get/keep the population in as state of drunkenness, easier to control. Though that could explain the shyte people post and talk about on the IMF.

For those of us who aren't addicted to alcohol, cheap beer doesn't pay for insurance which went up by 7% since last year.
General food prices haven't dropped either.

But it's nice for ya to have the cheap beer.

You do know that the profits that Tesco make here go to Britain? Good man for upholding the British economy. :lol:

The IMF might make our problems far worse if their usual tactics send us deeper into an irretrievable deflationary spiral. I'd certainly love if they opened our books and exposed much of the downright theft and criminality that I believe took place on the watch of the FF government, but I'm not even confident that they'll do that, at least not publicly. I'm not happy they're here at all. FF have brought us complete humiliation.

myksav

snip

If the IMF put an end to all the partisan slurry-spreading in Irish society I, for one, will buy them a case of champagne as a going home present when they leave.

snip
Are you sure you could afford a bottle of lemonade by then?

myksav

By the way, according to reports, a bail-out is to be forced on Ireland whether Ireland wants or needs one.

If money is forced on you, do you actually need to pay it back?

leinster51

My response

The IMF is the last thing we need.

They really screwed over Argentina and Brazil last time round.

Keep ur currency fixed to the USD they said which caused the issues.

Iceland have the right idea in declaring bankruptcy.

What the country needs and i tell u i have had no political affiliation with Sinn Fein before ; but we need someone who can negotiate and tell them all to write down there debts. Im inclined to think the international community may take Gerry Adams more seriously than the rest of them muppets in Dail Eireann.

People forget we owe UK 160 B Germany 160 France 60 Bil.

Get them to the table to negotiate down and if they dont well we can throw the entire european economies into a serious state. We currently have 10% off all money from ECB we need to start playing hardball and insisting that the nuclear option is an option (default).

The only way this may happen is if we the people of ireland withdraw all deposits from our banks put them abroad and then insist on defaulting on our mortgages.

What are the other countries going to do invade us ?

neutral_lurker

I agree the IMF are not our friends and are out to shaft money from us.

Its not a case of thinking the IMF are good its just that in comparison to our own Govt they are like Knights in shining armour as they won't favour all those who have so far got an easy ride and the hope is we will all take a hit.
I know I feel a sense of justice hearing about those in RTE panicking about their job-(welcome to the real world) bad isn't it but thats what inequality produces.

It takes alot to make the IMF look like the good guys well done Cowen and Lenny.

hiding behind a poster

The alcoholics delight, that. Possibly the plan is to get/keep the population in as state of drunkenness, easier to control. Though that could explain the shyte people post and talk about on the IMF.

For those of us who aren't addicted to alcohol, cheap beer doesn't pay for insurance which went up by 7% since last year.

You do know that the profits that Tesco make here go to Britain? Good man for upholding the British economy. :lol:
Basic economics lesson, Myksav. The cheaper beer frees up other money which can then be spent on insurance.

myksav

Basic economics lesson, Myksav. The cheaper beer frees up other money which can then be spent on insurance.
Which insurance becoming void when combining that beer and driving. So no need for insurance.
As I don't drink alcohol, the cheapness of beer is totally irrevelant. The still un-lowered price of basic foods is relevant.

btw, you didn't slam FF in that post which means you're a FF supporter now.

riker1969

Obviously there is a hell of a lot going on and the Irish people are worried, confused even frightened.

However i want to focus on what this all means and the positives that can and will come from this. Firstly the 4 year plan will stand. This means that the cuts we've been hearing about over the past few months will be implemented. Obviously there will be a lot of pain for people in this but if it can be done in a reasonably fair manner i believe we can get through it.

Secondly the people will in the new year have the general election that this country craves. There will be a new government installed and despite the IMF loan this government will decide where the necessary future cuts fall.

Thirdly i strongly believe that the Irish private sector is seriously primed for growth. If the EU/IMF can properly recapitalize our banks then i believe that serious private sector job growth will occur. Our competitiveness has improved dramatically and exports are flying.

Fourthly it is very likely that social partnership is now a thing of the past. This is good for everyone including public sector workers. The union leaders have always been a part of the problem in this country.

Fifthly the huge wage bill of the public sector will be addressed through redundancies, pay cuts (especially at the top) and efficiencies. We can no longer pay ourselves 50% more than our European peers just because we are Irish.

Anyway having suspected that this day would come i just wanted to make the point that this is the beginning of the recovery because the EU/IMF will properly address the real issues. The politicians were incapable of doing this.

I believe this is a turning point for the better for this country. We have a lot going for us and we cannot forget this.

After this OP i think i'd better log off for a while!!
As a Public servant I have this to say-if and believe it or not its still an if-more pay cuts happen for me then Im leaving . Why-because I have no assurance that other costs will decline in line with such a reduction. Food and medical prices to name but two. I will also agitate for an all out strike because I have no intention of being exploited by the state. I dont accept CSO figures and the CSO itself has criticised the interpretation of figures for public pay. I have no intention of digging up this critique again as I have done so continually.

I have no intention of going into Poverty to support Bankers ,developers and the majority of the Private Sector who have had no Pay cuts.I know teachers already receiving family income supplement after cuts. I have no intention of being one of them. I would perhaps take one more moderate cut but anything above 5% and I have several jobs waiting for me abroad.I would be replaced by an eager young recruit but he or she would exit the job after a few years if the salary is cut by figures I have heard mentioned of 15-20%. If you want that sort of system best of luck to you.

riker1969

Voted for them in 89 but not since. Actively campaigned during recent elections against them .ie got off my arse.

Binnman

Myksav, As I recall, "The difference is, we're ....." organisation is an unlimited liability company here, so that they do not have an legal obligation to file accounts in the Companies Office, and that unlimited liability company is then mostly owned by an another company (a limited liability one this time) registered in the Isle of Man.
Link:- www.cro.ie

An unlimited company in Ireland does not have the "inconvenience" that a limited liability company has of having to justify it's reported profits to it's (possibly) underpaid workforce; over-charged customers and late-paid suppliers. :(

Many of our more successful Irish companies have profitable outlets in the U.K. Their profits are repatriated to their head office too. That's business; British, Irish or where-ever.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom