IMF - Three Weeks To Impose "Savage Public Spending Cuts"

Sierra

Tonights Evening Hearald is reporting that the government have three weeks to implement deep public spending and social welfare cuts. The IMF will oversee the implementation.

Ireland's debt crisis - live coverage | Business | guardian.co.uk

5.00pm: Late breaking news - Ireland has reportedly been given just 21 days to impose deep austerity cuts. Henry McDonald has more:

Dublin Evening Herald is reporting tonight that the IMF has imposed a deadline of three weeks to implement savage public spending cuts. They say the 16 international financial experts are going to oversee the cuts in social welfare and public services in next month's budget.

Although it has to be pointed out that even without the presence of the IMF or the ECB, Brian Cowen's administration already seemed determined to impose an austere cost-cutting budget.

The Herald also reports that the 16 "top moneymen" are staying for three weeks in the luxurious rooms of the city's Merrion Hotel.

Asparagus

What is a top moneyman?

The herald will be reporting through smiley faces soon

Herald
Economy :eek:

Sport: :(:)

TV Xfactor: :mad:

€1

kerdasi amaq

I'll say it again, we should declare the IMF to be an illegal organisation under the Offences Against the State Act.

chriskavo

cricket

If it's in the Herald it must be true , mustn't it ? Or do we wait for the Sindo to confirm ?

supermonkey

So the Brians blame the IMF for the cuts we have to make. Good idea the blueshirts can have power from 2012-2015 and we'll step back in for the recovery. I should be well got enough to get my snout in the trough this time.

Kevin Doyle

Tonights Evening Hearald is reporting that the government have three weeks to implement deep public spending and social welfare cuts. The IMF will oversee the implementation.

Ireland's debt crisis - live coverage | Business | guardian.co.uk
Sweet Jesus, this is just the Herald giving Fianna Fail the cover of the IMF for budget cuts they where going to implement anyway, I wonder how many of the plebs lap it up.

The IMF bogeyman sure helps selling papers as well :)

Sierra

It does raise a very valid question - what happens if the government does not have the support to pass the budget?

Miserable eFFer

I wonder if the IMF will force down the charges imposed by all those greedy professionals in our society, doctors, consultants and their ilk? Will they level off living costs here? If they expect low paid workers here to continue to live faced with inflated costs we're in for a meltdown of our society.

Kevin Doyle

It does raise a very valid question - what happens if the government does not have the support to pass the budget?

It will FG will tactically vote to ensure it goes through because they principally agree the measure and scale of the cuts Lenihan is proposing and they want it to happen on Fianna Fails watch

Last edited:

H.R. Haldeman

Ursulla Halligan on TV3 was just reporting the exact opposite: that the government's 4 year plan (which she said she has had sight of) is not only relatively mild, but also that it has not been radically altered by the IMF. And that the government still believes it to be operative.

In fairness, she also added that nobody believes a word the government says anymore.

Kevin Doyle

I wonder if the IMF will force down the charges imposed by all those greedy professionals in our society, doctors, consultants and their ilk? Will they level off living costs here? If they expect low paid workers here to continue to live faced with inflated costs we're in for a meltdown of our society.
We could have a measured deflation in the cost of living that would mean you could safely lower the rates of Social welfare, Pensions and Public Sector salaries.

Will never happen, gouging, price fixing, cute hoor profiteering and small minded greed are entrenched thoughout our retail and services sector and have been for decades.

Kevin Doyle

Ursulla Halligan on TV3 was just reporting the exact opposite: that the government's 4 year plan (which she said she has had sight of) is not only relatively mild, but also that it has not been radically altered by the IMF. And that the government still believes it to be operative.

In fairness, she also added that nobody believes a word the government says anymore.
Well, if she considers cuts of 15 billion to be mild I guess that qualifies her use of the term 'relatively'. To others its as draconian as they come. I dare say the IMF havent advised any radical alteration due to the fact that the medicine proposed in the budget is precisely what they would administer in the first place.

Dillinger

Someone needs to give these lads a buzz. "don't forget to cut the quangos" "FF probably hid that sheet of paper at the back".

D

Deleted member 17573

It will FG will tactically vote to ensure it goes through because they principally agree the measure and scale of the cuts Lenihan is proposing and they want it to happen on Fianna Fails watch
But if FG support it - and I think they should - it lets Gilmore off the hook because he has said that he would not agree to a 6 bn adjustment but would, at the same time, not reverse it if in power.:cool:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies