IMF to Open Irish Banks Books tomorrow for a peek

Cassandra Syndrome

This could be interesting. Not that they would already know, but the reactions of some of the feudalists around the country over this.

European Union and International Monetary Fund experts will start scanning the books of Ireland’s debt-laden banks tomorrow in Dublin in a prelude to a possible aid package to stem Europe’s widening fiscal crisis.

Finance chiefs from the 16-country euro area said the joint assessment will determine whether Ireland can patch up the banking system on its own or needs to fall back on the EU-IMF 750 billion-euro ($1 trillion) rescue fund.

“If banking problems are too big for this small country to manage, Europe has made it clear they’ll help,” Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan told state broadcaster RTE today as meetings of European finance ministers wrapped up in Brussels.

As Europe struggled to present a united front to maintain its fiscal credibility, Britain said it would back support for Ireland, abandoning a hands-off policy toward the euro region to prevent Irish bank woes from spilling over into the U.K. market.

In a blow to Ireland, LCH Clearnet Ltd. raised the margin requirement for Irish bond trading to 30 percent of net positions, making it more expensive to buy Irish securities.
Ireland to Begin Bank Talks Tomorrow in Prelude to Possible Aid - Bloomberg.com

Disillusioned democrat

Pandora's Box - can imagine this will be an interesting experience.

How can we be sure we'll ever get the full gacts though?

DCon

IMF: What's in that room?

DoF Monkey/Lenihan: Oh just some Anglo files. We've been through them with a fine tooth comb already. Nothing to see.

fonzie

It will be like the scene in Ghostbusters when they shut down the containment unit.

Cassandra Syndrome

IMF - "But this address of a swamp in Roscommon shows up on 4 different bank loanbooks"

*unintended excretion of bodily waste*

Grumpy Jack

I hope they don't send anyone with a weak heart - but the A&E in the Mater should cleared just in case.

eoghanacht

Funny how Seanies away in the sun, Mr Drumm is off in America i'd hazard a guess fingers is in the Algarve playing golf............funny that.

Akrasia

Oh Mein Godt!!!

slippy wicket

IMF - "But this address of a swamp in Roscommon shows up on 4 different bank loanbooks"

*unintended excretion of bodily waste*
if it wasnt so serious, you would have to laugh. or just crawl into a ball and cry

Holy Cow

Lets hope the IMF lads make quicker progress than the Gardai and ODCE, I bet they will.

Holy Cow

"Why was this bank called systemic? All the loans are to the same people".

slippy wicket

I have a picture in my mind of the scene at the end of the indiana jones film where the nazis open the ark of the covenant.
I hope either cowen or lenny do the opening.

Gadfly

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffIlkL9jek]YouTube - The Monster Book of Monsters[/ame]

Cato

New Threads

Most Replies