Immediate Vote of Confidence - Good or Bad Idea?

spidermom

Will the likes of Healy Rae,Lowry et al continue to support this government now??
There will be no deals now?

Fine Gael have been idiotic in the past in defusing a bad situation for the Government in calling a vote of confidence that they could not possibly have won. But in the wake of what will almost inevitably be a humiliating bailout, and with FF clearly gone to ground, is now a good time to call one? Perhaps now would be a very promising time to force the Greens to choose where they stand (and they might not necessarily stay put, given that their poll numbers have been relatively steady). Or is this a situation where the idea of going in to Government now is a prospect that neither Fine Gael nor Labour relishes?

Vote of Confidence, yes or no?

Skrynesaver

Not sure it's such a great plan yet, confidence votes bring out the tribal fecker in FFers, if it were possible to sound out the "mind" of the independents and the Greens beforehand but raising a confidence motion, while providing a useful stick to beat individual TDs with on the doorsteps, is likely to reduce dissension in the ranks.
Let them stew and see who makes a break for it.

Not sure it's such a great plan yet, confidence votes bring out the tribal fecker in FFers, if it were possible to sound out the "mind" of the independents and the Greens beforehand but raising a confidence motion, while providing a useful stick to beat individual TDs with on the doorsteps, is likely to reduce dissension in the ranks.
Let them stew and see who makes a break for it.
Will they ever be more on the back foot than in the wake of a humiliating bailout? Where a repeated mantra of 'Enough!' from the combined Opposition might make the Greens choose to bail rather than remain associated with their dismal partners? Is there a risk that, for Fianna Fáil, it can only go uphill from after this episode?

I'm not arguing that they definitely should do it, I'm just wondering will they ever have a better chance. That is, of course, assuming they actually want to take that chance.....

spidermom

Deepest apologies Toxic..hang my head....tried to merge MY thread with yours..and ended up making a complete balls up..have changed the title back...SORRY...away now and hang my mod head in shame.......

spidermom

TonyBird

A clean slate would be the healthiest thing for this state . FF are clearly damaging the country now . Its like a 'scorched earth' style retreat . Traitors indeed .

Newsy

Excellent idea.

Put their money where their mouth is......it would even put it up to the greens.

Given the events of the last 24 hours, I think it is indeed now time, if they actually want the job, for the Opposition to act, and act decisively. I think the Greens are there for the taking. Now, it might be the case that they think it will be a poisoned chalice, what with the IMF and ECB pulling the strings, but if they are serious about taking power, this is it. This week. They have to call a vote of confidence, and do it immediately...

anarko

prefer if they went cause people forced them out
rarher than a dial vote

Harmonica

I'm surprised this isn't more widely discussed! This is it, time to strike (assuming they want to...)! Does no-one have a view?
The problem with a national strike it gets organised under the banner of the usual special interest groups who divert it into their own agenda. There can only be one issue to strike about and that is removal of FF. I think a massive protest would actually work now if organisaed independently.

I have mixed opinions of vote of No Confidence as FF will spin it back at the opposition. Would be easier aftet the by election with 1 more vote alongside the opposition.

spidermom

prefer if they went cause people forced them out
rarher than a dial vote
NOT gonna happen...!!not with this shower. Sure don't they understand our hurt and aren't they only working in the best interests of the nation!!

I still think the independants will hold the key. JHR and no more hospitals in Kenmare after tomorrow!!!

The problem with a national strike it gets organised under the banner of the usual special interest groups who divert it into their own agenda. There can only be one issue to strike about and that is removal of FF. I think a massive protest would actually work now if organisaed independently.

I have mixed opinions of vote of No Confidence as FF will spin it back at the opposition. Would be easier aftet the by election with 1 more vote alongside the opposition.
No, i didn't mean a strike as in a downing of tools, I meant the opposition should strike right now, immediately, if they are serious about wanting power. The Government are softened up now, the Greens are there for the taking, there will not be a better time in the next two years to completely destroy FF. But all depends on whether the Opposition are up for the job, of course...

Sierra

I'm surprised this isn't more widely discussed! This is it, time to strike (assuming they want to...)! Does no-one have a view?
The opposition, like the rest of us, know a bailout is on the way, they will want FF to embrace it before they go ahead with any confidence vote.

spidermom

The opposition, like the rest of us, know a bailout is on the way, they will want FF to embrace it before they go ahead with any confidence vote.
Indeed. Will want to be the government that sent them home...not invited them in!!
The electorate have short memories and FG/Labour know that too well!

They MUST be considering a Vote of Confidence. It'd be crazy if they aren't even contemplating it. Their strategists will be mulling it over, and opinions like those on this thread might prove at least partially influential (I know I will be accused of over-estimating a political graffiti-board's influence, but I believe that we are in such an unprecedented situation that strategists will be looking everywhere to see what can be of use to their thinking).

I simply can not imagine that any time will come that suits such a vote any more than right now, in this moment of intense national humiliation and shame...

IF a vote of No Confidence is called and won by the opposition it will cause mayhem at all levels, especially European level. Would it be necessary to start from scratch seeing as it appears FF have not been completely open about what is being negotiated.

Also, noticed Brian Lenehan looking dreadful and walking with a limp. That man should be withdrawn now. If not for his own sake, for the country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies