immigration checks would be introduced within the common travel area

McSlaggart

Garda sources said it was “all but certain” immigration checks would be introduced within the common travel area for the first time. And they said because of the shortage of accommodation in the Republic, centres or camps would need to be built in Ireland if asylum-seeker numbers began to climb.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/brexit/256463-brexit-general-forum-3339.html#post11969848

Will they be required between Northern Ireland and the other Islands outside the mainland?

belfast1981

Immigration checks have, and still do happen on the border.

It's not overly common but buses to the airport in Dublin from Belfast will be stopped on the border and police/garda will ask to see passports or ID. I would say 95% of the time they are acting on a 'tip off' or have been monitoring/looking for someone.

Though if someone has an Irish/British accent they don't bother checking.

As for being required between NI an other islands, this is also a requirement in part, but not for that purpose. Getting on the boat/plane you need to show photo ID anyway, so things can get flagged.

McSlaggart

It's not overly common but buses to the airport in Dublin from Belfast will be stopped on the border and police/garda will ask to see passports or ID. I would say 95% of the time they are acting on a 'tip off' or have been monitoring/looking for someone.

As for being required between NI an other islands, this is also a requirement in part, but not for that purpose. Getting on the boat/plane you need to show photo ID anyway, so things can get flagged.
Now everyone will have to be checked. What photo ID would be acceptable as most do not show your nationality?

rainmaker

Administrator
Garda sources said it was “all but certain” immigration checks would be introduced within the common travel area for the first time. And they said because of the shortage of accommodation in the Republic, centres or camps would need to be built in Ireland if asylum-seeker numbers began to climb.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/brexit/256463-brexit-general-forum-3339.html#post11969848

Will they be required between Northern Ireland and the other Islands outside the mainland?
I did say from the days after the referendum that I could not see the CTA continuing post Brexit anyway, at least certainly not in the easy going, relaxed form it's been known until now.

Objections to the idea based on the argument 'it pre dates EU membership therefore it must continue' were naive at best. It dates from a time when neither state were members of the EU and subject to EU law and EU treaties.

Since the referendum both states futures & interests are probably going to be more separate than they have ever been at any time in our joint history - sadly we're probably growing apart.

statsman

Now everyone will have to be checked. What photo ID would be acceptable as most do not show your nationality?
When was the last time you flew into Ireland from the UK? All passports are always checked.

belfast1981

Passport or Driving Licence I guess. It's all I've ever used. I know some can use their DLA (DID?) ID card or voter registration cards and student cards I also think would be accepted

McSlaggart

I did say from the days after the referendum that I could not see the CTA continuing post Brexit anyway, at least certainly not in the easy going, relaxed form it's been known until now.

Objections to the idea based on the argument 'it pre dates EU membership therefore it must continue' were naive at best. It dates from a time when neither state were members of the EU and subject to EU law and EU treaties.

Will it's loss really be that devastating to either country?
The common travel area only applied to EU and Irish citizens. I know of Indian people who live in northern Ireland who could not cross the border. The checks will only occur between the two Islands and that will drive unionists crazy. Good luck to the people sent to check Strabane people going to Lifford to see the cinema....

McSlaggart

Passport or Driving Licence I guess. It's all I've ever used. I know some can use their DLA (DID?) ID card or voter registration cards and student cards I also think would be accepted
An non Irish person could do their Driving test in England and then enter the mainland from England?

former wesleyan

Or the Customs and Immigration lads who jumped on the Belfast train in the '80's with a merry " any blacks on this train " quip.

CastleRay

Random border checks currently take place on public transport. Technology currently largely monitors and checks private vehicles; some physical stop and check takes place. Technology currently produces, monitors and checks customs duty with random spot checks taking place usually away from the border.

There is a border currently for all the issues people want to see future problems with.

McSlaggart

When was the last time you flew into Ireland from the UK? All passports are always checked.
I remember an rte radio presenter saying that they could not take a flight from Galway to Dublin as they did not have their passport with them? She was more than pissed off as the staff even knew her name. (do you need a passport or will other documents do?)

I have took the Boat to Scotland last year without any document checks.

statsman

I remember an rte radio presenter saying that they could not take a flight from Galway to Dublin as they did not have their passport with them? She was more than pissed off as the staff even knew her name. (do you need a passport or will other documents do?)

I have took the Boat to Scotland last year without any document checks.
From where?

McSlaggart

Random border checks currently take place on public transport. Technology currently largely monitors and checks private vehicles; some physical stop and check takes place. .
Never had an identity check on the Border since the GFA? One of my favourite cinemas in Lifford that is how often I would cross.

rainmaker

Administrator
The common travel area only applied to EU and Irish citizens. I know of Indian people who live in northern Ireland who could not cross the border. The checks will only occur between the two Islands and that will drive unionists crazy. Good luck to the people sent to check Strabane people going to Lifford to see the cinema....
Hmm, I am guessing those who voted Brexit on this island will probably not care to much about that.

Dame_Enda

I've always supported immigration checks on the border. I would prefer then at all ports on this island, but Unionists have always said no to that.

vivabrigada

Random border checks currently take place on public transport. Technology currently largely monitors and checks private vehicles; some physical stop and check takes place. Technology currently produces, monitors and checks customs duty with random spot checks taking place usually away from the border.

There is a border currently for all the issues people want to see future problems with.
Wasn't this whole Brexit deal sold as "taking back control of our borders"?
There is no way of stopping any EU citizen dandering across the border, none.
The British Army couldn't stop the IRA crossing the border.

McSlaggart

Hmm, I am guessing those who voted Brexit on this island will probably not care to much about that.
I think a lot of them will as their business and family life will be badly effected. As it is farmers are terrified at the prospect of losing EU money and it not being returned by the UK government. A hard border on top will put a lot of them out of business.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies