Immigration consequences of Brexit

Mentalist Clientelist

I think this is an issue which deserves its own thread. My apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

Much has been discussed about the consequences for our border arising from the Brexit result but the discussion mostly concerns travel between the two countries through our common border.

During the course of recent High Court case, the Dept of Justice in an affidavit advised that there were over 7,000 applications for residency in 2015 pursuant to the EU Treaty Rights Directive alone.

Let's be clear about this. Over 7,000 applications in anticipation of a referendum result which all of the opinion polls showed would be lost. It must be presumed that the number of applications which will be received in 2016 will far exceed that amount given the result. It is rarely mentioned in the media but the Directive allows, for example, those British nationals of Pakistani and Indian descent to apply for residence permits for their entire families to come to Ireland to join them. Applications for a spouse are straightforward but, on the basis that a level of dependency can be shown, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles are all permitted members under the Directive. Ireland is being used as a way to circumvent the very strict immigration rules using domestic British law. One British national can apply for resident permits for an unlimited amount of family members. The British national does not even have to live in Ireland when making the application. They can apply to the Irish Consulate in Karachi, for example, and can say that is their intention to come to live and work in Ireland.

These are extraordinary figures. Remember also that this figure relates to applications to the Department of Justice pursuant to the Directive only i.e. under just one heading. The figure does not include applications for parents of Irish children, spouses and partners of Irish nationals, asylum applications, family reunification applications. How many applications is the Dept of Justice receiving from non-EU nationals every year?

A report in today's Irish Times showed how some agents are charging £7,000 in the UK to arrange for visa applications to be made. Neither the British national nor the non-EU spouse/family member has any link to Ireland - they are simply using the law to get their relatives into the EU.

Immigration has been generally a positive thing for this country in my view and Ireland is a more interesting place because of it but these numbers are insane.

One of two things must happen to change the current situation:- either the Directive is changed or repealed which is very unlikely or Ireland leaves the EU. Leaving the EU is not ideal but if we remain in it then our politicians and media need to tell us the price to be paid for it.

runwiththewind

A simpler solution is leave the CTA.

This shouldn't be a surprise though as thousands of Indians and Pakistanis are already here after been refused asylum in the UK. They simply walked over the border from NI.

Our immigration policy is a shambles.

OrderoftheDragon

I think this is an issue which deserves its own thread. My apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

Much has been discussed about the consequences for our border arising from the Brexit result but the discussion mostly concerns travel between the two countries through our common border.

During the course of recent High Court case, the Dept of Justice in an affidavit advised that there were over 7,000 applications for residency in 2015 pursuant to the EU Treaty Rights Directive alone.

Let's be clear about this. Over 7,000 applications in anticipation of a referendum result which all of the opinion polls showed would be lost. It must be presumed that the number of applications which will be received in 2016 will far exceed that amount given the result. It is rarely mentioned in the media but the Directive allows, for example, those British nationals of Pakistani and Indian descent to apply for residence permits for their entire families to come to Ireland to join them. Applications for a spouse are straightforward but, on the basis that a level of dependency can be shown, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles are all permitted members under the Directive. Ireland is being used as a way to circumvent the very strict immigration rules using domestic British law. One British national can apply for resident permits for an unlimited amount of family members. The British national does not even have to live in Ireland when making the application. They can apply to the Irish Consulate in Karachi, for example, and can say that is their intention to come to live and work in Ireland.

These are extraordinary figures. Remember also that this figure relates to applications to the Department of Justice pursuant to the Directive only i.e. under just one heading. The figure does not include applications for parents of Irish children, spouses and partners of Irish nationals, asylum applications, family reunification applications. How many applications is the Dept of Justice receiving from non-EU nationals every year?

A report in today's Irish Times showed how some agents are charging £7,000 in the UK to arrange for visa applications to be made. Neither the British national nor the non-EU spouse/family member has any link to Ireland - they are simply using the law to get their relatives into the EU.

Immigration has been generally a positive thing for this country in my view and Ireland is a more interesting place because of it but these numbers are insane.

One of two things must happen to change the current situation:- either the Directive is changed or repealed which is very unlikely or Ireland leaves the EU. Leaving the EU is not ideal but if we remain in it then our politicians and media need to tell us the price to be paid for it.
More cheap labour for Sutherland and his little fg minnions......

Dame_Enda

Question: how does the Irish and UK system treat polygamous spouses ie second, third, fourth etc wives, for immigration purposes on the context of family reunification? This is the great danger in terms of abuse of immigration law potentially including for bringing terrorist cells here. Are they considered family members for the purposes of the Freedom of Movement Directive?

I predict that unless our reactive politicians negotiate safeguards in the Brexit talks, we could be overwhelmed with Third World migrants using the CTA as a back door to the UK, leaving aside also the risk that migrants from former British colonies proficient in English as a second language will come here if they can't come to the UK.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Our politicians will put the nEU empire first, & betray the people.

runwiththewind

Question: how does the Irish and UK system treat polygamous spouses ie second, third, fourth etc wives, for immigration purposes on the context of family reunification? This is the great danger in terms of abuse of immigration law potentially including for bringing terrorist cells here.
Not allowed. The only legal wife is the first wife. Not 100% sure but I think a Lebanonese man has already been through the courts on this one and lost.

thelimit

Our politicians will put the nEU empire first, & betray the people.
you know maybe this might unite us and we give the politicians a right good kicking,

paddy can accept a lot of things but paddy will wake up one of these days with a royal hangover from all the crap our politicians have inflicted on us of late
when we export our own and take in this lot that mostly will never contribute to society i truly think paddy will have a go

thelimit

Not allowed. The only legal wife is the first wife. Not 100% sure but I think a Lebanonese man has already been through the courts on this one and lost.
I seen a program on TV of a Muslim lad with 4 wives he didn’t work so all where on social

Handy auld number all right

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Stopped off in a chipper in Shercock co Cavan recently. Assuming the guy was an Italian- I asked him what part of Italy he was from. He smiled and said Afghan- talked for a bit - I said your English is excellent as he said he had only been in Ireland for 2 years- 'well I was in England for 12 years'. (His English was very poor now). He told me he came to Ireland because he could take over his family. I was confused but your op probably makes sense of this

thelimit

Stopped off in a chipper in Shercock co Cavan recently. Assuming the guy was an Italian- I asked him what part of Italy he was from. He smiled and said Afghan- talked for a bit - I said your English is excellent as he said he had only been in Ireland for 2 years- 'well I was in England for 12 years'. (His English was very poor now). He told me he came to Ireland because he could take over his family. I was confused but your op probably makes sense of this
least he was willing to work , was it a zamzam chippy by any chance

OrderoftheDragon

Rte as usual reporting about the cuddly friendly migrants in the Calais camp, and how bad we all are. Back to north Africa with them all, would be the right thing to do !!!

Dame_Enda

RTE not reporting the migrant petrol bombers in Calais

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
least he was willing to work , was it a zamzam chippy by any chance
Yes - and seemed to be a nice fellow - but worrying that our doors are wide open to the islamification of this country and our government will do nothing except keep the blinkers on and the boats taxiing illegals crossing into Europe

flavirostris

It's very clear. We have to comply with the EU directive ( which no Irish Political Party will challenge ) which effectively means an open-ended number of non-EU ( predominantly Pakistani I would guess ) people gaining entry to Ireland.

The situation won't change until Irish people wake up and by then it may be too late, as large ghettoes might already exist by then.

But we have to leave the EU and take back control over our borders, just like the British or we won't have a country anymore.

At this point, I'm a full anti-EU Nationalist. I want Ireland to leave the EU and take charge of our own affairs and stop being a hostage to whatever madness is going on in Germany at any given time.

Wagmore

Can't help thinking it is too late. You only need to look at how Irish taxi industry is panning out to realise that there are hidden hands at play when it comes to Immigration into this country. It's a decent microcosm of what's to come. No rules, zero enforcement and an apathetic populace means agenda driven civil servants and politicians open the floodgates to illegal and dodgy immigrants. Unless a Celtic Ukip is born, Ireland as we know it is done.

flavirostris

There's a certain complacency there. People think the ghettoes which have ominously taken over the English city centres can't happen here. All it takes is time and numbers and you suddenly have a Bradford in Ballyhaunis or Luton in Longford.

I saw it with my own eyes recently in a couple of small towns in the West, which now have 40% Asian populations. This isn't cultural enrichment we're talking here, it's a monocultural invasion of people who are hostile and unassimilable.

McTell

Twitter
No

Surely we are missing out on a biz opportunity here. That £7,000 has to cover the cost of living here for 3 months as a couple. Plus legals and travel and a margin.

They said the edge in Ireland is that you can go to court (paid for by whom??) and get a decision in 6 weeks. Try going to an irish court on any other matter and getting a decision in 6 weeks paid for by someone else.

Doesn't it beat marrying a pooer auld Latvian woman any day? Same price, wrong lady....

Arranged marriages netted

New Threads

Most Replies