Imminent Failure Of Oroville Dam, California.

Billixed

The Tallest Dam in the US is in danger of imminent failure of two of its spillways after recent heavy rain and snowfalls - uncharacteristic for the area - led to a large overflow. Over 180,000 people have been evacuated.

Oroville Dam evacuations: Residents near California dam system ordered out - CNN.com

At least 188,000 people have evacuated from several Northern California counties after damage to a spillway at the Oroville Dam.

The dam, which is the nation's tallest, remains intact. But the emergency spillway, which guards against the overflow of the dam when water levels are high, was eroding Sunday.
The damage prompted a mandatory evacuation for cities and counties near Lake Oroville. In the worst case scenario, one official said, an uncontrolled release from the dam could send a 30-foot wall of water downstream.
"I'm not going to lift the evacuation order until I have a better idea of what that means and what risk that poses," Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said in a news conference late Sunday night.
Officials are waiting until daylight Monday to better assess the situation and decide when it's safe for residents to return, Honea said.
Live feed here:

[video=youtube;JxbDJlruQ-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxbDJlruQ-4[/video]

Half Nelson

No it's not. The danger passed hours ago. Now it's a case of taking no chances.

silverharp

the main dam wasn't at risk as far as I heard

cozzy121

the main dam wasn't at risk as far as I heard
Probably not, but if the lake decides to go out the break in the slipway it really won't matter how sound the main part of the dam is.

silverharp

talk about a stress job being the guy that calls hold or let loose the water. I assume the lake was empty up until a few months ago?

automaticforthepeople

Last month Donald the climate change denier comes to town to censor any mention of climate change. This month excessive rain causes a dam to bear collapse.

Kharma is a bitch!

realistic1

Last month Donald the climate change denier comes to town to censor any mention of climate change. This month excessive rain causes a dam to bear collapse.

Kharma is a bitch!
Maybe lack of investment in infrastructure has also been a factor with this Dams deterioration??

JimmyFoley

gleeful

Trump has refused emergency funds for California to help with floods because of the sanctuary cities dispute.

Half Nelson

Slipway not fit for purpose.

It's an indication of the possible condition of the main dam.

Prester Jim

Is this linked to the failure of successive US govts to raise taxes necessary to maintain infrastructure? Apparently it is often down to a refusal to allow a rise in gasoline taxes by the republicans on ideological grounds, more recently under pressure from the tea partiers. Hopefully Trump will follow through and put this right, might be his only positive policy.

statsman

Is this linked to the failure of successive US govts to raise taxes necessary to maintain infrastructure? Apparently it is often down to a refusal to allow a rise in gasoline taxes by the republicans on ideological grounds, more recently under pressure from the tea partiers. Hopefully Trump will follow through and put this right, might be his only positive policy.
Trump tax oil? What are you taking?

silverharp

Apparently the US has spent $25billion on refugees, that would build you a fair number of dams if your priorities were domestic

gleeful

Apparently the US has spent $25billion on refugees, that would build you a fair number of dams if your priorities were domestic
They take 85,000 a year. That works out at a quarter of a million per refugee.

Literally unbelievable.

silverharp

They take 85,000 a year. That works out at a quarter of a million per refugee.

Literally unbelievable.
I didn't say per year, the average 5 year cost of middle eastern refugees is about $60K per person or about a $250K per household.
On a different note the all in cost of Iraq and Afghanistan and including interest payments is expected to be 6 Trillion dollars, the Americans are mugs

gleeful

I didn't say per year, the average 5 year cost of middle eastern refugees is about $60K per person or about a $250K per household.
On a different note the all in cost of Iraq and Afghanistan and including interest payments is expected to be 6 Trillion dollars, the Americans are mugs
€250k per family is also unbelievable. Are they buying each of them a house?

gerhard dengler

New Threads

Most Replies