• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

IMO rejects legislating for X Case.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Doctors reject abortion motions at IMO conference - RTÉ News

This certainly puts the cat among the pigeons. It's very difficult to see the government keeping any trace of cohesion if the experts are already against them. It's well known that there were Some high profile) FG TDs ready to either abstain or vote against, but with this rejection, their number is likely to increase.

Could Labour use this as their excuse for jumping ship, now that they have their pensions safely secured?

Josip Broz

This certainly puts the cat among the pigeons. It's very difficult to see the government keeping any trace of cohesion if the experts are already against them. It's well known that there were Some high profile) FG TDs ready to either abstain or vote against, but with this rejection, their number is likely to increase.

Could Labour use this as their excuse for jumping ship, now that they have their pensions safely secured?
Experts? The IMO? Don't make me laugh.

Middle aged wealthy people prove to be consevatives shocker!

Ryan Tubbs

If the doctors aren't the experts on a medical issue, who are?
Feminazi cranks know more than doctors on this issue. Didn't you know?

This is interesting news. It pretty much rubbishes Rhona Mahoney's ridiculous view that all doctors are crying out for legislation to protect them from being prosecuted right left and centre (despite no one ever having been prosecuted)

D

Dylan2010

it depends are Irish doctors smarter than British, US or French doctors? I'll bow to medical science most of the time, just not sure of Irish Catholic "science"

Cellach

Why would Labour want to jump ship at this time and precipitate a general election? I imagine that any attempt by the Labour Party to jump ship at this point would result in a change of leader and Labour remaining within the Coalition.

Ryan Tubbs

It's not a medical issue.
I see. And who do you propose will perform the abortions under the new law? And diagnose suicidality? And medical threats to the woman's life?

The hospital janitor? The lady who answers the phones?

Cellach

I see. And who do you propose will perform the abortions under the new law? And diagnose suicidality? And medical threats to the woman's life?

You'll notice most of the speakers were GPs, so it won't be them either. Nor the psychiatrist. Who apparently is also an expert in legislation.

None of those considerations make legislating for abortion a medical issue.

The clue is in the word "legislating".

The issue is one for the legislators.

gerhard dengler

The IMO decision is a very positive development.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Forgive my ignorance, but why were there only 74 votes? Does each vote represent a group of people?

Ryan Tubbs

None of those considerations make legislating for abortion a medical issue.

The clue is in the word "legislating".

The issue is one for the legislators.
And if doctors don't think think it is necessary......that's not relevant at all, hmmm?

Are there any other areas in which you would advocate legislation which flies in the face of expert opinion?

Let's say a Government legislated to introduce guidelines whereby the amputation of an arm would be the standard treatment for depression. I take it you'd be ok with that even if doctors protested?

Ryan Tubbs

Forgive my ignorance, but why were there only 74 votes? Does each vote represent a group of people?
Well it's a delegate conference, just like the teachers union conferences. Delegates are mandated to vote on behalf of their own branch/unit/hospital/area.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Well it's a delegate conference, just like the teachers union conferences. Delegates are mandated to vote on behalf of their own branch/unit/hospital/area.
Ah, right. Thanks.

Is a 100 minute debate particularly long, for this sort of matter?

Nermal

Are there any other areas in which you would advocate legislation which flies in the face of expert opinion?
Plenty, yes. I wouldn't draw up gambling legislation on the advice of Ladbrokes, or firearms legislation on the advice of Smith & Wesson, or bank regulations on the advice of Goldman Sachs. How many examples would you like?

Clanrickard

Astral Peaks

Abortion and the ECHR ruling are not solely medical matters, Keith, as you well know.

Your OP simply hijacks this issue to have a pop at Govt cohesion.